Honda Fury Forums: banner

How do you modify Cobra 3 inch slip-ons??

5K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Wildman 
#1 ·
Ever since I took my baffles out and had to put them back in, I have been wondering about how to modify these baffles. After having the baffles out for a day and putting them back in, the slips now sound quieter than I remember before I took the baffles out. So, you guys with baffle modding experience, how do you incrementally modify the baffles to eventually achieve the sound/loudness you want??

#3 ·
Does the FSD exhaust for the fury have any baffling??

#6 ·
Wow, those exhausts have to be deafenning, literally. Do ya'll wear earplugs while riding?
Right now I'm conversing with Cobra to see what they say about modding the baffles to make them incrementally louder.
Currently I do have an idea bouncing around in my mind.

#8 ·
well cobra is certainly going to tell you that modding them isnt a good idea......step out of the box..........plenty of baffles to be had if you dont like it......dont analyze it to death, have fun :) .........................t

#11 ·
Big city thunder baffles do not make a baffle for the cobra 3" slips.
And Cobra is worthless to talk to about this.
So here is my idea:
Seal off the perforations a little at a time, starting at the slip-on exhaust exit
When the desired sound is attained, find a reputable weld shop
Have the weld shop cut off the section of sealed perfs, and weld in a straight piece of pipe
Put all back together and listen to the result.
OK, flame away!!

#15 · (Edited)
They don't make "performance baffles" for the VH slip ons either because big city doesn't consider slip ons performance exhausts, they said.

Might be a good time to get you a blow torch and learn to weld.;)

Were the drag pipes too loud for you that I linked to? I knew when I heard those jokers that the VH were headed for the dump.:D

#12 ·
you ask for advice, then take comments as flames.........i wasnt flaming you, just making an observation........its a bike forum........not a sewing circle.....no one is attacking.......its all good.........................t

#13 ·
Whoa. I took nothing as a flame. I was just pre-empting the occurrence in case it happenned. As you said, "It's all good."

#16 ·
Yes, I believe the FSD 2-1 would be too loud for me. There's another youtube video that measures the dB level of them about 10 feet away. It measured 119dB. That means at 5 feet away the sound is 125dB. That is way too loud for me to ride on top of.
Here it is:

#17 · (Edited)
Everyone has different tastes in exhaust and the sound of the exhaust, I have the Morton Inferno's and don't think they are to loud and have a great sound when I roll on the throttle, I'm sure it's pretty loud if someone is riding next to me or right behind me, but it's the exhaust that I have and like, and although they let you know they are there when idling, they are not obnoxious, but then again that's what they make ear plugs and headphones for lol.

I wear headphones when riding anyways, I know they are illegal, but no cops have ever said anything to me and I have even been sitting next to them at stop lights, plus they give me something to listen to instead of the wind beating up my eardrums and break up the sound of the exhaust enough to where I can still hear what's going on around me.

I know some might think "hey not only is it illegal, but you can't hear everything around you", and I would say that wearing a full face helmet would just about be the same, you can listen to music while wearing a full face and it blocks a lot of road noise and to me even limits my peripheral vision, so I don't see much difference, to each his own and whatever makes them comfortable while riding.

#18 ·
When I made my cross draw pipes I just used the cobra pipes. I didn't use the larger section for the baffles. I called Big City Thunder to order and I talked with a woman who insisted that none of their baffles would fit. However, the 1 5/8 inch baffles fit perfectly in the pipes. I think they sound great. You could remove the cobra baffles and add the Big City Thunder baffles in the pipes. Just some thoughts.

#20 ·
What I am thinking of doing now is maybe replacing 1/3 of the perf pipe with solid pipe. Ain't gonna happen anytime soon, but if/when it does, I'll let you know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.