3" fork extenders on a bike with ABS ? - Page 2 - Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum

» Insurance
» Honda Fury Prices
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 06:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
jw

They are not that expensive so I'd buy & install them then ride for a few hundred miles and if you don't like the ride put them up for sale on the board.
jw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austones View Post
Thanks for that. I was thinking of putting extensions on more for handling, as I scrape the pegs every time I ride. I figured that if it lifts the front a bit, the bike might scrape less. Reading other posts on extensions with no 8* triple mod, generally the consensus was that it handled better. Maybe the bike doesn't handle better, but the rider gets used to it. Bugger. Back to being undecided on it. I didn't want to put the tree on, as that lowers it & that is not what I am looking for. Handling/performance/function is first & foremost for me.
Like Mac, I got the Fury because it is a chopper that handles.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Yeah you're not going to improve the handling of a bike by stuffing up its geometry. Anyone who was around in the 70's will remember how bad the long front ends were, not because they were long so much but because nobody worried about the geometry, it was all about the looks.

If scraping the pegs is a problem I see three options:
1) Take the feelers of the pegs.
2) Raise the pegs up. 5150 and txr450rr have done that or look for Gar's write up on extending the forwards with no additional parts and use his method in reverse.
3) Slow down.........it's a chopper not a crotch rocket, you need to give people time to see how cool you and the bike look. LOL
macxpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
jw

Or put Accutronix forwards on
jw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

Actually I am getting mfr to make me a set of his chrome forwards Need the slight extra stretch for the longer rides.

I will wait until after they are on & work things out from there.

& I have slowed down with the fury. My other bike is a vtr 1000 sportie. My missus will actually get on the back of the fury & I don't wind up with bruises on my back from her telling me to slow down.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Actually I am getting mfr to make me a set of his chrome forwards Need the slight extra stretch for the longer rides.

I will wait until after they are on & work things out from there.

& I have slowed down with the fury. My other bike is a vtr 1000 sportie. My missus will actually get on the back of the fury & I don't wind up with bruises on my back from her telling me to slow down.
You'll need a good seat and sissy bar to keep her happy. I got a C&C sport touring seat and a Ginz sissy bar with back rest and it was the best money I spent on my bike as the Mrs loves the comfort and will get on for a ride anytime now. She reckons the Fury with the C&C & Ginz combo is the most comfortable set-up I have ever had. I can do Sydney to Brisbane with the Mrs on the bike and no complaints for the whole 1000 kilometres. (Split into two 500 klm days)
Old 01-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #16 (permalink)

I have the Danny gray xl seat already & will be ordering a gintz sissy bar hopefully next week. Only thing I have to check first is the clearance with the gintz after doing a Tmod, which I will do in the next few weeks. Hey I know my priorities. Keep the misuse happy & she let's me buy toys & bits.

Is the gintz ok with the Tmod? I did read a post that there was not much tyre clearance in one side with the gintz & was wondering how it was with a Tmod?

Old 01-04-2013, 12:58 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:

Is the gintz ok with the Tmod? I did read a post that there was not much tyre clearance in one side with the gintz & was wondering how it was with a Tmod?

I can't say if it would be a problem as I haven't done the T-Mod and I don't intend to but having installed the Ginz bar you can reverse the bolts so the flat head faces the tyre and that will give you 2 or 3 mm extra each side. T-Mod is a buddy of mine as is Tony_Fury and they both have there wives on the back from time to time with no scraping although they don't have a Ginz bar and they did not go extreme with the cuts to the fender supports. I'd fit the Ginz bar first and then see what sort of clearance I had.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:18 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
I have the Danny gray xl seat already & will be ordering a gintz sissy bar hopefully next week. Only thing I have to check first is the clearance with the gintz after doing a Tmod, which I will do in the next few weeks. Hey I know my priorities. Keep the misuse happy & she let's me buy toys & bits.

Yo Aus, not sure if you'r getting the 2 up XL, If so you will have to move the Ginz hole templates around 90mm to the rear,
I made the mistake of fitting the ginz without trying the seat. Didn't work

With regard to the Ginz/T-mod question.
I asked this a few months ago and no one could give me a firm answer.
Have a look at these pics. All measurments are accurate and taken with the bike on the ground with no load. No T-mod.
The only thing holding me back from doing the T/m is the clearance on the Ginz bolts,
You can see I have already reversed those.
If I dropped the stays by 1.5" as per the T/m, that would only leave 1" between the ginz bolts on the right & the widest part of the tyre,,,,& thats with the bike unloaded. Personaly I wouldn't be happy with 3mm clearance between tyre and bolt whilst loaded.
Over to you mate.
3" fork extenders on a bike with ABS  ?-left.jpg

3" fork extenders on a bike with ABS  ?-right.jpg

3" fork extenders on a bike with ABS  ?-side.jpg
Old 01-04-2013, 06:46 AM   #19 (permalink)

Thanks Brit. 3mm is a bit tight for my liking. So now I have to choose between the Tmod & the Gintz, both of which were in my must do mods. Bugger!!!

I know my missus wants a sissy bar on soon. Unless I can find a good looking sissybar that works with the Tmod, the Tmod ain't happening.

Just a thought, could the gintz brackets be welded, instead of bolted. That way you add the thickness of the bolt head as more clearance? Btw what is the thickness of the bolt head? Is this a feasible idea?

Last edited by Austones; 01-04-2013 at 06:56 AM.
Austones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #20 (permalink)

Btw what is the thickness of the bolt head?

Its 3mm, Still only gives you 6mm clearance. Even if you weld.

Like Gar pointed out to me, If your riding 2up or with bags. the back end drops anyway ( depends on your shock set up by how much)
The only Kudos With the T-mod may be when the bike is parked.
Go for the Ginz mate. You wont be sorry.
Just my worthless opinion

Last edited by Furious Brit; 01-04-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Furious Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement