Best Side Mount License Plate & light - Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum

» Insurance
» Honda Fury Prices
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2009, 06:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Best Side Mount License Plate & light

I've seen several threads and posts on Fury side mount license plates with lights but have yet to see a comprehensive "how to" of the process or the best and easiest fix available.

I would think a simple approach would be to use any available side mount license plate bracket (Accutronix, Kuryakin, Hayes, etc) and fasten an illuminating LED light from either the rear left turn signal housing or under the fender LED light mounting to shine on the actual license plate. This would elliminate the need to route a wire along the shaft drive to connect to a light on the license plate itself.

The other "how to" data missing is elliminating the stock "beaver tail" mess from below the stock brake light. I've seen some that keep the reflector, and others that go so far as removing the tail light itself. I would like to keep the stock taillight and eliminate everything else below it while using the stock licence plate wiring to power an LED illumination device within or mounted to the stock left rear turnsignal or under the left rear fender.

Can someone offer a complete "how to" with a complete recommended parts list, prices, and vender info to make this mod an easy 1-2 hour effort?

Thank,

Bill, a new Fury owner
bpayne13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2009, 08:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Fury How to

This is exactly why the forum needs a "How To" section.
Clueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
This is exactly why the forum needs a "How To" section.
Yes, that would help us new guys a lot!
Cobra Swepts, Kury Wing Pegs, Breakaway Cruise, S&S Intake, Custom Chrome Wheels, Gorilla Remote Alarm System, RAW Side Mount License Plate Holder, Clutch and Timing Covers, Cobra Luggage Rack, Chrome Rear Brake Reservoir Cover, RAW Chrome Fork Covers, Cannella Risers, KonTour Custom Seat, Chrome Baron Front Brake Reservoir Cover, 15" Ginz Choppers Old School Sissy Bar, Custom World Lower Triple Clamp Cover.
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

how to.

buy it.look at instructions and proceed to next step.olay!!
buy one with the lite on it.

Last edited by 460brevill; 12-13-2009 at 01:44 PM.
460brevill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460brevill View Post
how to.

buy it.look at instructions and proceed to next step.olay!!
buy one with the lite on it.
that is fine for those that want the same old same old, some like to stand out from the herd, and have to build or modify to make their bikes not look like every other one.

Last edited by Clueless; 12-13-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Clueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

This is the accutronix. it has 3 leds already on it and its bright as all hell. I ran the wire that comes with it under the seat (it needed to be extended a little). and just tapped into the constant of the tail light. It wasnt hard at all. I got mine on ebay i think for around $100.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Proving the "bell" doesn't work 1 mile at a time since June 22nd 2009... 36k miles so far...
March 2010 FOTM<<<
RedspawnSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Removing the stock fury "beaver tail"

Quote:
Originally Posted by suvettez400 View Post
This is the accutronix. it has 3 leds already on it and its bright as all hell. I ran the wire that comes with it under the seat (it needed to be extended a little). and just tapped into the constant of the tail light. It wasnt hard at all. I got mine on ebay i think for around $100.

I just ordered the Accutronix side mount. What did you do to remove the stock license mount and wire up the new Accutronix?
bpayne13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpayne13 View Post
I just ordered the Accutronix side mount. What did you do to remove the stock license mount and wire up the new Accutronix?
Well I replaced the whole tail light assembly. But if u just wanna remove the license plate mount you can do like a lot of guys on here do and with a steady hand and a dremel, cut it off. As for the wiring, follow the harness on the right side of the bike from the tail light to under the seat.(taking the fnder off would be the easiest way to do it but its not totally necessary.) Open up the insulation and youll see a brown wire with gray dots. Thats your positive and attach the red wire from the accutronix plate. Then youll see a green wire with gray dots. Thats your negative. attach your black to that. test it out and put the bike back together.

Last edited by suvettez400; 12-14-2009 at 10:21 PM.
suvettez400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpayne13 View Post
I've seen several threads and posts on Fury side mount license plates with lights but have yet to see a comprehensive "how to" of the process or the best and easiest fix available.

I would think a simple approach would be to use any available side mount license plate bracket (Accutronix, Kuryakin, Hayes, etc) and fasten an illuminating LED light from either the rear left turn signal housing or under the fender LED light mounting to shine on the actual license plate. This would elliminate the need to route a wire along the shaft drive to connect to a light on the license plate itself.

The other "how to" data missing is elliminating the stock "beaver tail" mess from below the stock brake light. I've seen some that keep the reflector, and others that go so far as removing the tail light itself. I would like to keep the stock taillight and eliminate everything else below it while using the stock licence plate wiring to power an LED illumination device within or mounted to the stock left rear turnsignal or under the left rear fender.

Can someone offer a complete "how to" with a complete recommended parts list, prices, and vender info to make this mod an easy 1-2 hour effort?

Thank,

Bill, a new Fury owner
Bill:
Taking the seat and fender off is the best way to modify the rear license plate mount. There is a metal V made out of round bar. I cut mine with a hacksaw. I moved the reflector up and left it on the bike below the brake light.
Attachment 1507

I purchase some self sticking wire clips from the hardware store. I solder longer wires on the the Accutronics red and black to run the wires up into the fender. (right side)
I cut off the existing license plate connector leaving enough wire to solder the extended wires to it. (as to have a disconnect)
I used the self sticking plastic wire clips to the bottom of the rear swing arm. I use a package of shrink wrap tubing and put that over the wires prior to attaching to the clips underneath the swing arm.
I ran my wire in that plastic tubing for hiding wires. It's up to you.

Everyone wants a quick how to do it with pictures, but in all honesty you just need to dig in and take things apart. Make a trip to the parts store and get the goodies you need to complete the job.

I can say if you get the Fury Service Manual it has instructions on how to take everything off the bike.
Good manual to have..

Last edited by 695; 11-24-2010 at 03:22 PM.
695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement