How to cut license plate bracket? - Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum

» Insurance
» Honda Fury Prices
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 01:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How to cut license plate bracket?

Ok I've read the other posts where people talk about using a saw/dremel etc. and then sand down with a file, but WHERE DID YOU CUT?

I was thinking of removing the entire light assembly so I dont' mess up, but I don't know how to start. There is a light above the plate, do I just cut through the wires or should I do something special?

Where do i start with the cuts on the black fender part? Some close up pictures of the finished results would also be helpful...

Please guys some details and pics would be appreciated...
Easy Flo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 10:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to NMUCat Send a message via MSN to NMUCat

Ill try to get some pics in a bit. I used a finetooth Japanese flush cut saw for the plastic. I cut just above the plate light. For the metal support bar, I used my cut off wheel. I cut the metal tube just above where i was cutting the plastic. I did cover the ends of the metal tube with some extra POR-15 I had in the garage.

A buddy of mine told me to use a torch and a putty knife to smooth out the ruff edges. I just need to get gas for my torch and I'll be set.
NMUCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

If you want to remove the Reflector, license plate light and the Plate mount you gotta use a hacksaw or some other fine tooth saw and when you get to the metal a grinder, dremel, cut off wheel, or hacksaw, then shave the rough edges down with some sand paper or file and paint the cut ends of the metal part.

the wire for the light you need to use for running your plate light which would mean not to cut through it. Everyone on here just followed the line under the tail light where it curls back to the drop down for the reflector
Montana Redneck License Plate fix

This is PREDATOR's bike to give you an idea
imwright1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

..Chainsaw with a big old frameing hammer........yup thats how i did it..
Old 03-18-2010, 09:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

I cut around the light area, here is how it turned out
Clueless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

imwright1985, that is a sweet cut on Predator's bike and I saw the Montana redneck thread already....I don't want to have a cut out square hole on the bottom of the plastic and was wondering how you got such a straight cut?

That really looks amazing!!
Easy Flo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

i cut mine around the light like above. then had a body shop fiberglass the cut out and paint it. If i would have known that the plastic piece only cost 14 dollars i would have tried to do it myself and saved a little money. after i cut the under frame i welded a piece of flat bar to make the piece rigid again. it seamed to flex a little before i did that
Attached Thumbnails
How to cut license plate bracket?-dsc02688.jpg  
diagotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Flo View Post
imwright1985, that is a sweet cut on Predator's bike and I saw the Montana redneck thread already....I don't want to have a cut out square hole on the bottom of the plastic and was wondering how you got such a straight cut?

That really looks amazing!!
mask it off, leave a little extra lip over the edge of the masking then shave it down with a file or sand paper to edge the lip closer to the masking and have a slight bevel so it isnt a rough edge. just take your time, if you have a flat surface you can use that to make sure the cut is level and shave the extra off to level it better. just remember its easier to take off then put on, so dont go too far in with your cutting

Last edited by imwright1985; 03-18-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

predator's bike has the cleanest cut i've ever seen. great cut man.

Why not enjoy it. Can't take it with you!
furyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyfun View Post
predator's bike has the cleanest cut i've ever seen. great cut man.
I could do that easily, its just patience and an ok selection of tools. Im doing a home made raw stealth with a license plate mount in the fender so the plate is butted up against the light and having the plate light on the bracket the LED attaches to. I just need to take another month or so to get ahead on bills even further so i can have extra cash to play rather than paying minimum on bike and credit card
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
holder, license, plate, remove, tag