What is the Most Comfortable Aftermarket Seat? - Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum

» Insurance
» Honda Fury Prices
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 09:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question What is the Most Comfortable Aftermarket Seat?

Hey folks,

I know L&M just put out a new lowered seat pan and it seems very interesting. So, for starters, anyone who buys this new pan, wraps it and uses it ... I'd be interested in your feedback as to the overall comfort of the seat, what type of foam did you use, and how many layers of said foam, please.

I trust L&M and I know we could come up with a solution for this, but their seat mounts with Velcro and I have the Honda rear panel where I removed the original passenger pad. That new panel connects to the underside of the original seat where the bracket for the passenger pad once mounted. And, I may one day put the passenger pad back on. So, I think I'm really looking for a seat that mounts using the same mounting holes as the OEM seat. But, I may be convinced otherwise based on feedback in this forum.

So, what other seats are out there (e.g. C&C) with which you are no less than delighted with the comfort (first) and quality (second)?

I'm not in a major hurry to get a new seat ... I'm actually taking a break from $pending more on this bike, for now. But, after a <50 mile ride the other day, my ass was killin' me! So, I realize that long trips I'd like to take from St Pete (to: Gainesville, St Augustine, etc.) are going to be very uncomfortable and, more likely, out of the question, for now. I know, I know, this isn't a long-distance bike, but few bikes really are ... right?

Thanks for any and all feedback.
APB
... I now have a bad-ass 2013 Stateline.
StPeteAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 09:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

I am re-doing my stock seat this week or next. I will let you know how that goes. As far as it not being a long distance bike, I think Stickman has proved that it is a long distance bike. The stock seat sucks, but you have to stop every 100-120 miles for gas anyway so you can give your ass a rest. The longest I rode mine so far was about 400 miles one way to Greensboro, NC from ATL. It was not a bad ride, the seat was new, just out of the break in period. I have noticed that my ass seems to get sore a little faster now that there are 3000 miles on it.

Anyway - point is don't be discouraged from long trips even on a stock saddle. If nothing else get a gel pad to go on top of the seat for longer rides. Then when you redo your seat you can canabilize that pad and install it into the seat.
Schmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmud View Post
I am re-doing my stock seat this week or next. I will let you know how that goes. As far as it not being a long distance bike, I think Stickman has proved that it is a long distance bike. The stock seat sucks, but you have to stop every 100-120 miles for gas anyway so you can give your ass a rest. The longest I rode mine so far was about 400 miles one way to Greensboro, NC from ATL. It was not a bad ride, the seat was new, just out of the break in period. I have noticed that my ass seems to get sore a little faster now that there are 3000 miles on it.

Anyway - point is don't be discouraged from long trips even on a stock saddle. If nothing else get a gel pad to go on top of the seat for longer rides. Then when you redo your seat you can canabilize that pad and install it into the seat.
Thanks! All good points.

I found it odd that this past Saturday I rode a fair bit w/o any issues. But, Sunday when I rode, my ass was killing me mid-way home.

So, here's a question for ya regarding the gel pad ... Where do you put that pad when you get to a destination and stop in for a bite/drink? Know what I'm mean?
... I now have a bad-ass 2013 Stateline.
StPeteAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Usually just leave it on the seat.
Schmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Foam reshape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmud View Post
I am re-doing my stock seat this week or next.
I'm having my stock seat reshaped this week before heading for the Texas hill country. I'll probably ride 1,000 miles over three days and I know from experience that the stock seat would be a problem for me.

The reshape involves scooping some foam out of the tailbone area (red circle right) and building up around the lower back (red circle left) - similar shape as a custom seat. I'll let you know how it goes. This is going to cost me $100.
Attached Thumbnails
What is the Most Comfortable Aftermarket Seat?-seat.jpg  
cypress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

I had the same problem with the stock seat couldnt walk after i stood up . Got a mustang with drivers backrest and I love it . No more numb bum , plus backrest feels great on longer rides ( only time I use it ).
Old 09-23-2010, 02:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

look through my thread.... the seat is finished....maybe give u some insight and u can see how i shaped and repadded my seat
sickandtwizted inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

It's not cheap but I rode 6400 miles in 3 weeks from Alabama to Montana and California and back with a stock seat recovered by KonTour seats... very little monkey butt. $500.00 for the rebuild.
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

well im cheaper than 500 by far....no less than 125 no more than 240...it all depends on what u want .. and if u stick with stock skinz..... i was on mine seven hours straight today....felt like cotton cloud the whole time....and my real leather covering is like butter.... its very magical.....haha
sickandtwizted inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

c&c works for me--no more numb butt. before the new seat-->after a long day of riding the next morning I'd really feel it. not so with the c&c.

apparently quite a few shops will bolster your stock seat for around $100-150. the goal is to add more foam so that your weight doesn't compress it to the point where you feel the 'essence' of the seat pan. You want enough foam 'underneath' so that it never feels hard.
I'd suggest that route first--then, if it's still not the way you like it--get a good commercially made seat.

gel and memory foam don't give me the cushion i need for a ride. no cush. a good, dense cell foam that has a little bit of spring (not bouncy) is best for me.

Richard suggested aircraft foam; don't really know what that is, but then, just search for aircraft foam or Richard and you should find the posts.
Advertisement

Tags
comfortable seat, long ride, padding