Honda Fury Forums: banner

Air Ride Installed

11K views 66 replies 26 participants last post by  Ordinary Biker 
#1 ·
Well this was quite easier than I anticipated thanks to all of your previous posts on this topic. Definitely rides better, and wow, I am so happy that that gap in the rear fender is gone. On to the next mod.... ;)

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
Wow 2012T I just can't get over how lean (yes lean not clean although it is clean too) but lean and open the rear is.-- nothing at all on the back tire, and like you said the fender is closer down now. Just looks so nice. I've been looking at it for a while just admiring the openness and details. Nice job with the bike.

#10 ·
Thanks JDol. Call me "plain," but I like clean lines. I do the same thing, looking at members bikes on here and just studying what they have done to their rides. My wife just walks by and smiles at me, almost like "again?" Lol

Aside from the fender being lower, the ride is amazing. Almost like a cushion of air.....just what I needed for the back issues! ;)

#25 ·
Okay, as promised, here are some pics of the 275c installed on my Tricky system. I actually ended up flipping the compressor 180* and the head of the compressor faces toward the engine, but this should give you a good idea of the fitment. Very snug, but perfect fit.

Empty mount space:

Compressor in:

And... for posterity... couple shots of the Tricky cylinder:

Very tight around the frame where it mounts up by the seat. It actually touches which I wasn't too pleased with, but there shouldn't really be any play in that area either so it should be okay. Will be passing this same feedback to Tricky though. If they would shave slightly the black top of the cylinder it would be perfect. The thing is BEEFY though!

#29 ·
I second 5150's quesiton....Also, has anyone done this to a California Emission style bike? I THINK my evap canister setup will negate the ability to mount the compressor???

#33 ·
Hey guys sorry I'm just getting back to this after some busy days of work. The main difference between Platinum and Tricky? Well, unfortunately I can't say since I have only owned the Tricky. The ride is great, the install wasn't bad and they were good to deal with. I bought an instant up kit for slightly more than what you would buy the Platinum simple kit for, and I did this because I'm building a bagger and will most likely eventually do front air as well, so that was important to me. You will still land ball park in the same neighborhood of 800-1000 going Tricky or Platinum though. I was very pleased working with Tricky though I had to specifically ask for the 275c when I bought because normally they sell with a different compressor. They made the swap and even ordered one for themselves from ViAir to play with!

As far as the Cali model goes - yep you are both right, thats where the evap canister sits and you most likely wouldn't have room for either compressor with it there. I'm not going to tell you to remove it or not, but maybe STG could chime in on this? If there was ever a good way to move our fuel pumps a compressor could fit behind the two covers below the seat. So you might try exploring that? Sorry I couldn't really help more with the Cali model thing. Let me know if you guys need any more pics though and I'll try to take some once the bike is back from paint.

#48 ·
I bought an instant up kit for slightly more than what you would buy the Platinum simple kit for, and I did this because I'm building a bagger and will most likely eventually do front air as well, so that was important to me. You will still land ball park in the same neighborhood of 800-1000 going Tricky or Platinum though. I was very pleased working with Tricky though I had to specifically ask for the 275c when I bought because normally they sell with a different compressor. They made the swap and even ordered one for themselves from ViAir to play with!
I've been working with Tricky the past week - Great people to deal with. I ordered an instant up, and they swapped out their standard compressor with the 275c that they ordered for themselves when you got yours. Did the swap up at no extra cost. I should have everything up and running this weekend. I'll start a new thread for Tricky Install when it's done. I plan on heavily documenting everything.

#34 ·
There was a guy that removed his coolant overflow bottle and placed the compressor where the bottle is supposed to be. He relocated his overflow to a custom made aluminum tank and placed it where the evap can would be... he did all of this because he had an ABS bike and the ABS module occupies the area where most guys mount there compressor. I would say that if your bike is a California model WITHOUT ABS then you shouldn't have any issues mounting the compressor but I cannot guarantee that because I don't have a California model BUT I do have an air tank installed in that location for my instant up kit that I built and I installed my 275c in the same location as everyone else without any issues.

#36 ·
redline; The thread you attached says you removed your charcoal canister? Could you elaborate on this a bit more for us? I am going to attempt to dig into this whole process but am a little weary. Got a good idea of parts required from Kbuskill and a couple others; Just need to start sourcing parts and figuring out how to wire and valve everything properly.

#38 ·
We might need to hook up some where in this process man and see if we can figure this mess out. Im gonna make this work one way or another so help me; my ass WILL be completely comfortable damn it!

#39 ·
After bottoming out three times in the past two days on a Low & Mean XL spring while riding solo (at 160 lbs) an air ride kit is definitely on my radar.

#42 ·
I've only gotten one ride in so far on the way to the shop that is doing my bag work, unfortunately, but on my tricky air the rebound screw is all the way out which if I remember reading correctly is the stiffest you can get the rebound. I bottomed out on a bridge that had a GIANT pot hole in the middle of the lane as it connected from the bridge to the main road. Wasn't really visible til I hit it. No run of the mill bump.

#46 ·
Correct Kbuskill. Its closer to the Platinum simple kit with only an adjustable screw. Had I realized it wasn't actually air adjustable I would have spent the extra money and went Platinum probably, but I'll see how I feel once I get more riding in on it. I'm counting the days til the damn shop is done with their work. They've had it 5 weeks to build a bag bracket system, powder coat, body work, paint, audio, and upholstery. I'm getting antsy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.