Digital speedo wiring details - Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum

» Insurance
» Honda Fury Prices
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 09:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Digital speedo wiring details

Okay, said a month back I would post the wiring details that I used to connect the WIREPLUS digital speedo. Overall it was pretty easy and straight forward with just one or two small points that aren't obvious.
First of all the original Honda sensor works perfectly with the digital speedos so that makes life real easy. I could not get any information from WirePlus nor Dakota on the compatability of their speedos and VTX hondas, how companys like this survive beats me.

The list below shows the functions and the color of the wires, these wires are all located on the two small 7 pin (green) connectors that go from the bike to the speedo.

I found a photo of the connectors, her they are;

I cut the cables going up to the speedo about 3 inches up from the connectors. The new speedo wires are then soldered to these and then simply plugged back into the main loom.
The diagrams below are cut from an ABS model but I don't expect the non ABS to be much different.

All connectors and wires mentioned in this article are located inside the headlight for easy access.

FURY SPEEDO WIRING (ABS)

NOTE 1. +12V I initially used the PINK wire for the 12volts but found this was connected directly to the battery and the speedo never turned off. We need 12V that is switched by the ignition switch. I used a Black/Red wire going to the starter switch but on reviewing the diagrams you should use the BROWN wire in the diagram above which is switched via the ignition switch and is much simpler as you have already cut this wire and its ready to solder onto the new speedos +12V input.

NOTE 2. TURN SIGNALS. If you use the wires that go to the speedo, ie LEFT - ORANGE and RIGHT - LIGHT BLUE the leds on the new speedo will come on PERMANENTLY when a blinker is active. That is they do not blink with the indicators. The original speedo must have some elctronics in it to blink the LEDS. If you want your LEDS to blink with your indicators you will have to use the active wire going to each front blinker. I think it is the Orange/White and the Blue/White wire. Mine are still connected to the Speedo wires and remain on as long as the blinker is on. I have gotten used to this now but will probably change it in the future.

NOTE 3. RESERVE FUEL There is no light assigned for this on the Wireplus. I will be mounting a LED in the top of the ignition switch housing and wiring it from the sensor under the tank. The sensor I believe applies an earth when empty. If you connect it to a spare light in your digital speedo it will be ON untill you hit reserve.

NOTE 4. HSSI SECURITY This little flashing LED also will not have a home on digital speedos so I will also mount another LED on the ignition switch housing and wire it into this. Just have to find the wire under the tank somehow.

NOTE 5. ABS indicator, of no interest to most on the forum but if its easy it will be a third LED in the ignition casing.

HONDA COLOR CODES

Hope this helps somebody out there, it was certainly a pain doing without any information or help from the manufacturers. Just didn't want to destroy a $300 speedo.
Thanks to Senor Gar also for the excellent wiring diagram, the above images are extracts from it.

Cheers
Guy

Any questions please email me direct at;

jolliffe@aapt.net.au

Old 04-09-2011, 09:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

Very nice write up filing away for next round of mods!
bf4cm28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ask RSS to post on FAQ's...............
Old 04-09-2011, 12:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Great write up. A definite FAQ / DIY post. Digital speedos will be a good mod for many in the near future.
Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks, Guy, this is going to be a big help!
Reaper theme paint by Painter, Sweeping Beater Apes by BR Custom, DNA/Ridewright Fat-spoke wheels, Dakota Digital speedo, Cobra Swept exhaust, Thunder MFG adapter, D2Moto Chrome Spike, C&C solo Tribal Flame seat, 8 deg trees & 3" extensions, Kury Chrome Engine Covers, Accutronix side plate mount, Irate grill, Demons Cycle LED mirrors, Chrome Glow LED rear signal, Cobra Fi2000, Barnett Platinum cables, Billet Spike grips/pegs...
djconroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

After wiring up my Dakota Digital guage, here's what I've got to offer:

Notes:

1) Dakota turn signal indicators work fine with the wires indicated from the stock speedo... they blink just as they should.

2) Used Brown stock wire to connect to both 12V+ lead and Speedo power lead. As Fury Guy indicated with the Wire Plus guage, using the stock pink lead to the speedometer being lit even when the key is off.

3) Dakota looks for 2 grounds, one for speed sensor and for the main ground. The harness green/black is connected to both of these.

4) I wired Dakota's Check Engine light to the low fuel indicator wire, and see the same behavior - light is lit until fuel runs low, then should go out. Will try to research to see if there's a way around this.

5) I intend to skip working out a coolant temp or check engine light for the time being. I don't have an HSSI light (that I have noticed, perhaps it's an Aussie thing?) nor do I have ABS so this chart doesn't take those into account.

6) Just cut the Dakota VSS connector off and solder up the wires as shown above using the factory leads. Calibrate the speedometer by the Autocalc directions driving a measured mile and you're calibrated.

Powered up:

How the Dakota fits between the risers:
Attached Thumbnails
Digital speedo wiring details-fury-speedo-wiring.jpg   Digital speedo wiring details-006.jpg   Digital speedo wiring details-008.jpg  
Reaper theme paint by Painter, Sweeping Beater Apes by BR Custom, DNA/Ridewright Fat-spoke wheels, Dakota Digital speedo, Cobra Swept exhaust, Thunder MFG adapter, D2Moto Chrome Spike, C&C solo Tribal Flame seat, 8 deg trees & 3" extensions, Kury Chrome Engine Covers, Accutronix side plate mount, Irate grill, Demons Cycle LED mirrors, Chrome Glow LED rear signal, Cobra Fi2000, Barnett Platinum cables, Billet Spike grips/pegs...

Last edited by djconroy; 04-24-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hi DJ, good to hear the speedo is working fine, will have to put a meter on my blinker wires and see if they go on - off or not with the blinkers, odd how yours blink correctly, good luck for you though and Dakota digital speedos. Haven't looked anymore into the Reserve fuel light except last time I filled it took over 11 litres, not sure that the light will go out when low, don't be too trusting.

Between your write up and my original one just about anybody should be able to fit a digital speedo now. Just need a few bar manufacturers to start building bars for the Fury.

Cheers
Guy
Old 05-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

RESERVE FUEL LIGHT (RFL)
As stated in the above posts the RFL is permanently on and one would expect it to turn off when low on fuel, GUESS WHAT....... it doesn't.

I ran out of fuel on the weekend and had to push the bike to the servo, luckily only 300 meters down the road. The little red LED never even blinked.

So if fitting a digital speedo the RFL will need to be looked at. I am fitting and external LED on top of the ignition key cover and wiring this up i the next few days. Will post the outcome. The LED on the speedo will be wired to the water temperature sensor.

Cheers
Guy
Old 05-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

dagger on running out of gas but good info for the rest. thanks guys
Old 05-06-2011, 02:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

That seriously sucks...

But we live and learn... I'm going to have play with the light green wire and a multimeter over the next few tanks, measure the difference in how it behaves between full/empty. Some places I've read say it's a variable voltage output... or requires more resistance. Perhaps soldering a resistor inline would do the trick since the LED doesn't provide any resistance.

Found a great thread on the fuel guage sender circuits... I think adding the right resistor to the mix will be the ticket. Have to take those Ohm measurements at full and empty and figure out what resistor would be required to reach the required level.

Here's a thread: at svrider.com on someone who's been through this:
Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums - View Single Post - How To: LED Fuel and Idiot Lights.

We need to know the wattage and resistance of the LED in use. I have emailed Dakota tech support to see if they can tell me. Then we can use the logic from the link above and modify it a little:

1) Use a 47 ohm 5W load resistor as suggested in the svrider.com thread.
2) Get specs on LED. It will have 2 properties that matter to us, the forward voltage, and the current. Using 3V, 20mA as an example, calculate the current-limiting resistor's value as follows:
  • Voltage drop = 12V - LED voltage = 12V - 3V = 9V.
    Current = 0.02A
    By ohm's law, 9V / 0.02A = 450 ohms. Round up to the nearest available value = 470 ohms.
    Power = 9V x 0.02A = 0.18W. Round up to the nearest available value, I think mine are 0.5W.
3) Wire it up with the current limiting resistor in series with the LED, while those two together go in parallel with the load resistor. That whole assembly gets wired in series with the Low Fuel indicator lead.

I'll post how I make out...

Last edited by djconroy; 05-06-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement