How do you modify Cobra 3 inch slip-ons?? - Page 2 - Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum

» Insurance
» Honda Fury Prices
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #11 (permalink)

Big city thunder baffles do not make a baffle for the cobra 3" slips.
And Cobra is worthless to talk to about this.
So here is my idea:
Seal off the perforations a little at a time, starting at the slip-on exhaust exit
When the desired sound is attained, find a reputable weld shop
Have the weld shop cut off the section of sealed perfs, and weld in a straight piece of pipe
Put all back together and listen to the result.
OK, flame away!!
FuryousNurse is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

you ask for advice, then take comments as flames.........i wasnt flaming you, just making an observation........its a bike forum........not a sewing circle.....no one is attacking.......its all good.........................t
Old 11-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

Whoa. I took nothing as a flame. I was just pre-empting the occurrence in case it happenned. As you said, "It's all good."
Old 11-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #14 (permalink)

here is the title on how i did mine it gives a little deeper sound i think .

"Modified my Cobra pipes "

Remember when sex was safer than motorcycles?
Onefastokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuryousNurse View Post
Big city thunder baffles do not make a baffle for the cobra 3" slips.
And Cobra is worthless to talk to about this.
So here is my idea:
Seal off the perforations a little at a time, starting at the slip-on exhaust exit
When the desired sound is attained, find a reputable weld shop
Have the weld shop cut off the section of sealed perfs, and weld in a straight piece of pipe
Put all back together and listen to the result.
OK, flame away!!
They don't make "performance baffles" for the VH slip ons either because big city doesn't consider slip ons performance exhausts, they said.

Might be a good time to get you a blow torch and learn to weld.

Were the drag pipes too loud for you that I linked to? I knew when I heard those jokers that the VH were headed for the dump.

Last edited by Wildman; 11-28-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #16 (permalink)

Yes, I believe the FSD 2-1 would be too loud for me. There's another youtube video that measures the dB level of them about 10 feet away. It measured 119dB. That means at 5 feet away the sound is 125dB. That is way too loud for me to ride on top of.
Here it is:
Old 11-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Everyone has different tastes in exhaust and the sound of the exhaust, I have the Morton Inferno's and don't think they are to loud and have a great sound when I roll on the throttle, I'm sure it's pretty loud if someone is riding next to me or right behind me, but it's the exhaust that I have and like, and although they let you know they are there when idling, they are not obnoxious, but then again that's what they make ear plugs and headphones for lol.

I wear headphones when riding anyways, I know they are illegal, but no cops have ever said anything to me and I have even been sitting next to them at stop lights, plus they give me something to listen to instead of the wind beating up my eardrums and break up the sound of the exhaust enough to where I can still hear what's going on around me.

I know some might think "hey not only is it illegal, but you can't hear everything around you", and I would say that wearing a full face helmet would just about be the same, you can listen to music while wearing a full face and it blocks a lot of road noise and to me even limits my peripheral vision, so I don't see much difference, to each his own and whatever makes them comfortable while riding.

Mods: Morton Inferno And STG 2 into 1 Exhaust,Painted Engine,PowderCoated Rims,Kury Skull Shift pegs,Foot Pegs,Passenger Pegs,Danny Gray Seat,Ginz Sissybar,STG Fork Covers,Freedom T-Mod, PowderCoated Rims,Irate Skull Grill, MFR +3 Forwards

Last edited by X_KIOWA_X; 11-27-2012 at 11:31 PM.
X_KIOWA_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #18 (permalink)

When I made my cross draw pipes I just used the cobra pipes. I didn't use the larger section for the baffles. I called Big City Thunder to order and I talked with a woman who insisted that none of their baffles would fit. However, the 1 5/8 inch baffles fit perfectly in the pipes. I think they sound great. You could remove the cobra baffles and add the Big City Thunder baffles in the pipes. Just some thoughts.
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuryousNurse View Post
Wow, those exhausts have to be deafenning, literally. Do ya'll wear earplugs while riding?
Right now I'm conversing with Cobra to see what they say about modding the baffles to make them incrementally louder.
Currently I do have an idea bouncing around in my mind.
the exhaust sound is drowned out by the wind blowing across your ears
littlemantc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:22 AM   #20 (permalink)

What I am thinking of doing now is maybe replacing 1/3 of the perf pipe with solid pipe. Ain't gonna happen anytime soon, but if/when it does, I'll let you know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement