Honda Fury Forums: banner

V-Mod

36K views 138 replies 22 participants last post by  Señor Gar 
#1 · (Edited)
#111 ·
Question for Senor Gar or those who have gone to this extent..
1-When you remove the ignition there is a bracket that goes from the thermostat case to in between the jugs. Did you use/make a bracket to support the case? What gauge steel did you use? The ground wire that attaches to the ignition, where did you wind up moving it?
2-In mounting your ignition, it looks like you welded the support bracket to the motor mount, yes? Did you wind up using the oem rubbers on the back side of the ignition?

#112 · (Edited)
1-When you remove the ignition there is a bracket that goes from the thermostat case to in between the jugs. Did you use/make a bracket to support the case? What gauge steel did you use? The ground wire that attaches to the ignition, where did you wind up moving it?
No bracket, the thermostat is mounted in the rubber hoses. What you see is a sheet metal cover that attaches to the cut down boss where the ground wire used to be. The ground wire is for the temp sensor which I attached under the inside bolt of the thermostat.

2-In mounting your ignition, it looks like you welded the support bracket to the motor mount, yes? Did you wind up using the oem rubbers on the back side of the ignition?
Yes and yes. This is the smart (phone) answer. If you have more questions I'll get back to you when I get home. There may be more pictures in my gallery?

#117 · (Edited)
The cover is notched to fit around the filler neck and under the rad cap.

The cover mounting boss (former ground point) doesn't appear to be cut back yet in the top photo.

I welded the ignition bracket to the top engine hanger plate.
I used light gauge metal which had to be braced as you can see. Also had to weld nuts on the back.
I'd recommend ¼" plate: only two pieces are needed and it can be threaded for the switch bolts.

#118 ·
Once again, thx for the info. I wondered about cutting the tab back on the housing; if it interfered with the new body and all. I bought some 18ga that I was going to play around with for mounting the ignition. Want to see if there is some scrap 20ga or lighter over at the shop tomorrow, see what I can do with it.
Ill get with them about the cap in the next couple of weeks. Wanting to do one thing at a time if possible.

#119 · (Edited)
Do you have a MIG welder? ¼" is the way to go, same as the engine hanger I welded it to. You want it to be solid for security reasons and it's a lot less work to do that with ¼". I only used the lighter gauge 'cause I didn't know where I was going with the mod, just making it up as I went along.

Regarding the cap, you need to send Ross a pressure cap for fitting and allow a week or two 'cause they are sent out for chrome when he gets a full batch of clock bases, unless you just want polished aluminum.

#121 ·
Es mucho mejor, Señor !

Yeah, it's really a lot better. Still have to do that left hand side . . . . . .

Attachments

#126 ·
Half way through this mod. Spike on one side and cleared out on the other and looking for a spot to mount the ignition. Right side makes sense sinice the bike lean up on that side when parked and I'm right handed.

Question, if I grind the ears of my radiator cap, is there a chrome cap cover that will fit over the old one?

Thanks.

#127 · (Edited)
Question, if I grind the ears of my radiator cap, is there a chrome cap cover that will fit over the old one?
Order one from Ross or Linda at clocks4bikes.com and ask for Señor Gar's Rad Cap Chrome Billet Cover :D seriously :cool:.
You can choose a flat or a dome top, chrome or polished ;).
I would recommend sending a new OEM Honda rad cap (part # 19037-GEE-710) to Ross so he can fit it properly to the billet cover.

This is the chrome flat top

This is the chrome dome top

#132 ·
I am trying to view the write up for the v-mod but it doesnt show. I am using chrome, but tries explorer too.

Any help ?

#133 ·
Same here :( Using Google Chrome on Windows 10 post #1 shows nothing. No pics, no story.
The aircleaner below was inspired by the V-mod.

Attachments

#134 · (Edited)
Don't think I did a detailed 'write-up' but each pic is worth 730 words at the current exchange rate.
#1 post is blank but was probably mostly pics anyway.
Have a look at post #117 for the ign sw and tool box part of the mod and 2-bbl Air Cleaner for, wait a minute, you guessed it, the air cleaner >:)

Happy to answer any questions if you PM your phone # ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.