Honda Fury Forums: banner

V-Mod

36K views 138 replies 22 participants last post by  Señor Gar 
#1 · (Edited)
#16 ·
For Bolt-On-Bozos

Pardon my rather rude title :p but if I asked anyone of you where your rad cap and rad hoses are in the engine compartment of your car or truck I'm sure you would know. I find if baffling that you wouldn't have the same interest in your motorcycle :confused:. Please accept the following explanation as my apology :rolleyes:.

For those of you that don’t get the primary concept of choppers where ‘less is more’, here is a hint: V-Mod ≈ V-Twin (engine) chopped.
Honda has captured an essential ‘chopper’ styling element displaying the outline of the engine by creating space around the engine. This we all seem to agree on, but due to certain corporate production constraints the space inside the ‘V’ was occupied with ‘essential’ components and covered with chrome resulting in less emphasis on the ‘V’ configuration. Given free reign Honda might have given us their concept “Furious” pictured here.

As one can gather from my initial post the tool/rad cap chrome ‘box’, the gargantuan ‘alien head’ air cleaner and the awkward placement of the key switch are not my preference. Hence the V-Mod to free up as much space as possible while still retaining the original function. Since the “Furious” concept is bare bones raw when contrasted with my relatively stock production Fury I wanted a more finished look for the central coolant hose, thermostat, rad cap/filler and back side of the intake manifold. Covering the whole assembly would create a very bulky look so I exposed the rad cap and consigned the fabrication of a chrome billet cover to become a styling element.

#18 ·
Yeah gar I like the mod.
Thanks Smokin' :)

The left side was easy; just unbolt the 'tool box' and key switch, cut-bend-paint a cover, relocate the vest heat control then wait two months to get the billet cap cover (blame that on the cross border postal system :rolleyes:).

Hidden out of view is the new location for the 12V (cigar) accessory socket welded to the engine stay bracket just behind the rad cap.

As you must know the right side, fabing the air cleaner and relocating the ignition key switch, took a fair bit of time ;).

#19 · (Edited)
I have a radiator in my car??? Rofl

Did think radiator, looking at the cap, but with you Gar, we can never be sure. Form follows function could apply to any of my ideas:D
Also was wondering where you got the "V" from.
When you did the key relocation & with your background, I was expecting you to install some larger toolbox scenario, complete with ring scanners & socket set :) A true mobile mechanic, ready to help those poor HD riders when they break down on the side of the road :D

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

#20 ·
... I was expecting you to install some larger toolbox scenario, complete with ring scanners & socket set :) A true mobile mechanic, ready to help those poor HD riders when they break down on the side of the road :D
Pretty much need a trailer hitch for some of them.

Loan the Honda and load the Harley

#22 ·
Dam that would really suite the look I’m going for.
Thanks Tony :). With all the radical changes you've made on your Fury it would take ½ an hour before anyone would notice the V-Mod :D.
You need to post some pics of your Fury in your profile gallery so the rest of us can eat our hearts out :cool:.

#27 ·
Not so bad with the right circumstances ;). Fist off, I'm fully retired so I have 'too much time on my hands'. Secondly, I have a fully equipped repair shop from my semi retirement and a lift that requires no bending, squatting, kneeling or laying down. Hurts to much anyway :eek:. Those early years of laying on gravel, later a creeper and dirt in my eyes have finally paid off. Last but not least, I know what I'm doing and I love doing it. A perfect storm :D.

#38 ·
Yes and not putting the OEM ignition back. Looking into a fob system but they are expensive but I'll figure it out. For now its on a kill switch. Still have to fabricate a cover for the Tstat housing and have the parts for the new intake to wait on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.