Honda Fury Forums: banner

3D Print parts ?

4K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Ordinary Biker 
#1 ·
I am new to the group and use the search tool a lot to try and make sure I don't start beating an already dead horse, so sorry if I missed this one.

Has anyone tried to 3D print any parts for their bike ?

First thing I was thinking on trying was something simple like a Fury Key cover.... After it is designed a lot of the UPS stores have 3D printers you can use for a fee.

Yellow Line Electrical supply Extension cord

Might try and make some turn signals if it works out.

By the way, do not search for anything with the letter "D" in it ! man you guys are preoccupied with bra sizes :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

See less See more
#2 ·
I have not seen anything on here about 3D printing, but I seen it done on Jay Leno's garage. I was amazed, endless possibilities.
Give it a try and show us the results... you can also search key mods and see some things folks have done.
Welcome to Forum!

#4 ·
Done any parts yet or have any photos ?

Since I haven't done any 3D printing yet I wasn't sure how smooth the end product is.

Was thing of making something to decorate the frame and cover the welds. Think a scaled down sword or knife maybe a hand or snake.

Still getting the hang of the software. Haven't found a good program yet.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#5 ·
#7 ·
I just recently scanned them and haven't had time. Work is crazy right now with 90-120 hour work weeks. I will try to get something done soon before school starts back.

As far as smoothing the end product, we have a vibration tank that we put in pieces into a liquid and this smooths everything

#9 ·
I was thinking about this also about 2 weeks ago when I saw 3D printers on sale here in Japan from 300-500 and high end ones around 800.

They have various things they had made with them each laying out for inspection, you could try to break them even, yes there was a sign, and it seems tough and versatile.

Also concerned about finish, I'm a chrome freak so would most likely want to have the bits chromed.

I'll be putting more thought into this after I move in March.

Thanks for the great thread and welcome

Tigger

#10 ·
We have quite a lot of things 3d printed in our evaluation stage at work. It is way to expensive for production but in eval it allows us to change the design as needed. Strong stuff, holds up to engineers...

Unless your chrome shop can do plating on plastic, the chrome is a tad tougher. The vacuum plating of Al on them is easy, but doesn't hold up and really doesn't match true chrome.

#11 ·
Yes they can chrome plastic or fiberglass here, it's a little more expensive than steel or aluminum.

Tigger

#15 ·
Here's a bizarre story....My son has a big time printer available at his Genentech job.....He's building a cafe racer out of a Suzuki 650 savage.
He designed a special triple tree for this cafe racer.....duplicated it on 3d printer........he took that plastic triple tree to a machinist to have it duplicated, and ended up with a beautiful machined triple tree.........It was so georgeous and the bike handled beautifully my son said to himself...."I'm going to have a few dozen of these milled and sell them to cafe racers on e-bay"
......OOOOps
no patent...NO copyright......the machinist made a few dozen and is selling them to RYKA and other cafe parts outlets.......sleazy bastard......If you have a great idea.....at least submit for a patent or copyright the sucker

#17 ·
I feel for your son on this one, but in the industry I work in, you have to have your bases covered.

Did he have A print? Call out a proprietary design on said print? Have the machine shop sign a non-disclosure? It sucks but this world those are the few things that should be covered

#16 ·
I'll weigh into this subject a bit. We 3d print metals as well...Inco, ti, stainless, etc.

Design really has to be considered. Anything less than 45deg angles tends to collapse on itself. So you need "build up" tooling. Basically tooling that will keep the layers from collapsing on themselves. That costs money to make.

Then, you will NEVER get an acceptable finish. Imagine a roughly cast part. It's got the shape, but it's rough. So you will need time in the machine shop to take some finish passes. How do you hold your 3d part? Maybe dog clamps will do, but likely you will need to fab some tooling to hold it.

Structure. Are you ok with a porous, inconsistent grain structure? This isn't cladding we are talking about, where there is material uniformity. This lessens the strength due to pores and voids.

In a nutshell...it is not cheaper by any means to 3d print a part due to all the pre and post work vs machine something similar from billet (unless; geometry cannot be achieved by conventional means), but it's great for rapid prototyping and vetting out ideas.

#19 ·
Really sucks. One thing to keep in mind is that if the original work was done on a machine at work (3d printer, solidworks, cad) most likely his place of employment holds the rights to it. Most shops have statements like that in place. So the machinist is stealing from them as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.