Honda Fury Forums: banner

Bending Lexan

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  cypress 
#1 ·
Disclaimer: This is actually my first experience with Lexan, I am by no means an expert. Anyhoo ... following 2011MatteOrange's lead, I made my own windscreen to fit the boulevard mount and last night I added the bend to the top of the screen to increase it's strength.

Thought I'd share the technique I used for the bend. First I used a heat gun on a couple of scraps to get a feel for what it takes to bend the sheet and to determine what affect the protective film has. I learned two things from the warm up.
  1. you need to remove the protective film because it melts easily
  2. by using slow even strokes with the gun 3-4 inches from the piece, the Lexan will let you know when it's ready to bend - it starts falling over. I used the high heat setting but took my time. If you leave the gun in the same spot too long while too close to the piece, you can ruin it. Practicing with scraps is a good idea.
I think the pic tells the rest.

Oh, almost forgot, another thing I learned while mounting the screen on the bike: keep the blue locktite away from the Lexan! I have a nice smudge near the mounting bracket that ain't goin' nowhere.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I've used lexan alot in custom cars. It's pretty easy to use if like u said u take ur time. I've made molds out of
MDF and fiberglass laid the lexan on top an just heated til it falls right to form. Using wooded dowls and forms will help you make radius bends.

Can't wait to see it on ur bike. And let me say gratz just for attempting something new.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.