School loans? - Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum

» Insurance
» Honda Fury Prices
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 11:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default School loans?

Im having trouble seeing the school loans (funded by taxpayers) being a sustainable proposition. How does it help the taxpayers directly?

It cost upwards of 283,000 to get a kid to age 18. Parents then have to fund college? Why should taxpayers? There are some really screwy degrees out there. General studies, Philosophy, Art, etc.

Thoughts?
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 11:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Not sure I understand your point.

It's a loan, not a grant. They are supposed to pay it back.
Without financial assistance, most families could not afford to send their kids to college.
Redleg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Education should be paramount in this country. Freakin' college-educated kids can't count back change at the register if they didn't have a digital readout that told them the change to make if I hand them $8.13 for bill of $7.88. Simple f**king math

The United States has been thee target to overcome. We set the bar high and other countries have been trying to catch up. Well, many of them have done the catching up on certain areas, and education is one where they're blowing us away. We should make education as accessible as joining the military. A smarter country is a more viable country.

And, as Felipé said, it's a loan, not a grant or handout.
... I now have a bad-ass 2013 Stateline.
StPeteAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

the government makes money on these loans... its called interest... missing your point entirely
Old 11-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

The loan collects interest thats good my point is: If they don't select an in demand field they won't be able to pay it back. Has anybody seen the default rates over the years? They are rising.

Student loan default rates jump - Sep. 28, 2012
Old 11-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDESTROYER View Post
The loan collects interest thats good my point is: If they don't select an in demand field they won't be able to pay it back. Has anybody seen the default rates over the years? They are rising.

Student loan default rates jump - Sep. 28, 2012
Nation of entitlement and apathy. Kids don't know what they want to do with their lives, and think that sitting around acting like the Jersey Whores is a normal way to live. They spend years taking prerequisite classes while living at home. When they finally do graduate with huge loan debts, they expect to be entitled to six figure salaries. Real life shocks them down and they find they can't pay them off.

You want education to be paramount in the US? Bust the teachers unions. Get rid of the morons that can't teach, or don't give a fuck. Promote the ones that are fantastic.

When I was in school there was no 'no child left behind'. Why? Because lets face the truth. Some kids are plain stupid. The smart kids went to college. The not-so-smart kids went to vocational schools, and usually ended up making more money than the college kids doing work like tiling, roofing, or mechanical work. All the kinds of work that lately has become 'beneath' US society. Kinda circles back around to the Nation of entitlement part. Entitled parents refuse to believe their kid could possibly be an idiot. Entitled parents also believe in raising their kids to think that fixing roofs and fixing cars is beneath their precious idiot.

This is not a republican thing. This not an obama thing. This entitlement and apathy has slowly crept into US society over more than a decade. Its a result of this retarded initiative by crackpot psychologists and churches to 'boost the self esteem of a child' and avoid any form of conflict in the childs life that could be 'harmful to self esteem'. Well, its working. Children are growing more confident every year. But with confidence absent of the most basic life lessons comes apathy, no direction, and no competitive drive to succeed or become better. Because lets face it. Everyone in their life is telling them that you don't have to work to succeed. "Here's your Everyones-A-Winner trophy for playing in a baseball league that doesn't keep scores so your feelings weren't hurt, Johnny."
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

I like it. Most of todays kids are a bunch of entitled pussies and drama queens. No spanking, No bully zones, no child left behind is probably not helping their mentality.

My coworkers kids are 25 and 22 and seem 15/16 years old. Run all over their parents practically making demands for money, school, food, do their laundry and on and on.

Use the rod, spank the child.

Last edited by Wildman; 11-21-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

The entitlement thing is a whole different issue/subject.
Want to start a subject about how parents, not schools, should learn how to raise kids, I'm right there with you. But, today, "entitled" parents who put their wants over their kids are the ones who need to be re-taught.

Two household incomes are not necessary for a lot of people if they get rid of the toys. Motorcycles, boats, campers, 2-week vacations, a Keurig coffee maker, etc. are all luxuries, as are big screen TVs (or TVs of any size, for that matter) and cable.

My folks sold my dad's car and my mom's engagement ring back in the late 1950s in order to afford their own home. That Is Sacrifice. Not many parents make comparable sacrifices for their family these days, sadly.

I'd rather live in a more modest home with less toys to have a stay-at-home wife to raise the kids with manners, common sense and the other benefits that come with the mother staying home with the kids (or being there when they get home from school).

Anyway, I digress.

Educators should be higher paid than baseball players, et al.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

So when are you putting your Fury up for sale?
Old 11-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDESTROYER View Post
So when are you putting your Fury up for sale?
No need. I can afford what I've got ... 'cause I don't have any kids - or a wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement