Honda Fury Forums: banner

real wheel removal

8K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  Reds Faster 
#1 ·
I have Cobra Sweeps on my Fury.Do I have to remove the Exhaust pipes to remove the rear wheel?

#3 ·
Allthough the service manual says you have to remove the pipes, it is only to remove the stopper bolt in rear brake caliper bracket. i remove this stopper bolt first, with the bike on it's wheels and my weigth on top of it. This way the swing arm is higher in relation to the pipes and you can get the bolt out. Other than that there's no need for removing the pipes, not even with my 7,75" wide rim and 240mm tyre :co-ol:

#9 ·
So that's back to common sense then . . . . . . . . :grin:

Or you can try this. You know the nut is properly torqued now. Mark the nut and the bolt across with a narrow pinstripe. Do the work you want to do. Put it all back together. Tie up the nut until the pinstripe ligns up. You're awfully close to the previous (correct) torquesetting.

Or you can try this. Sacrifice a 32 mm ringspanner by cutting a 1/2 " square hole near the 32 mm ring end so you can put the square drive of your torquewrench in it. Remove the longer end which is in the way of the torque wrench. This way you just make your own ring end torque wrench. Mind you, you have to calculate for the new setting on the torque wrench as the total length of the bar will increase.
TORQUE TOOLS AND TORQUE PRINCIPLES AND PROCEDURES -cont - TM-1-1500-204-23-9_145
This page explains it all.
I used this trick a few months ago when we were in an urgent need to tighten some hydraulic lines in a HI-dollar business jet.
Sharp drill bits,cutting fluid, a carbide router in your Dremel and a fresh file did the job. I've seen pics of your shop Steven, you can pull this off.

#11 ·
Brilliant idea!! My local super cheap auto store regularly have sales on tools and when they do you can pick up their own house brand for 50 to 65% off. I wont mind hacking up one of those ring spanners, where as I could never bring myself to destroy one of my made in USA Craftsman spanners. Especially as I have to go to California and back to bring them home.

That's a great link as well. I'm on this now...

Off topic but you reminded me about your muffler and the internal tricks I must look it up again. :grin:

#12 ·
Yeah we're using the British names for tools, just another quirk of the English language.

So let's have a little fun with words, English/Australian on the left and US on the right.

Spanner = Wrench
Ring Spanner= Box End Wrench
Open End and Ring Spanner = Combination Wrench
Shifting Spanner = Adjustable Wrench
Allen Key = Hex Wrench

Now if you're not confused how about a few from cars.
Boot = Trunk
Bonnet = Hood
Mud Guard = Fender

:grin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.