Honda Fury Forums: banner

Metzeler ME 880's

9K views 37 replies 13 participants last post by  FuryInAlpine 
#1 ·
Ok, after reading TONS of positive reviews, both here as well on the various vendor sites, I think I'm pretty well settled on a new set of ME 880's. I plan on staying with stock sizes, as I'm not ready for a bigger rear tire and don't feel like it really does much for the aesthetic I'm looking to achieve.

My question is this: where can I find the best deal on a new set? Best price I've found so far was BikeBandit.com with the set costing $320.71 shipped.

I'll be buying soon (sooner with the right deal), so any help is greatly appreciated!

This post has been deleted
#3 · (Edited)
Can add to the positive reviews about the ME880's.. not on the Fury (yet) but on my old Magna 750 it really woke the handling up when switching from the stock Dunlops to the Metzelers.
As far as price.. on Jet.com the set comes to $308 shipped and as a new customer you can get an addl 15% off for a total cost of $262

Ugh.. Didn't realize this was an old posting.. Disregard :)

#4 ·
Never Again!
Used ME880's on my 1998 Shadow Spirit 1100 and loved them so I put them on my Fury when the Dunlop wore out. I got 22,000km on the Dunlop and 12,000 on the Metzeler. Handling change was not noticeable at all other than how much lighter the bike was due to my empty wallet from replacing tires twice as often!:grin: I have run two more Dunlop E3's after the Metzler experience with 22,000 on each. I will stick to the Dunlop E3 for the rest of the bikes life. Of course many still swear by the Metzler so maybe mine was bad? I would like to know if anyone has run a Metzler ME888 to see if it wears better than the ME880?

#5 · (Edited)
Well, I have 27,000 kilometers (17,000 miles) on my original tires and the groves are all but gone on the front and not far behind on the rear :wink:.
Weather is warming up out here on The Island so switching to ME880's today since I bought them before the bike 6 years ago :3ek:.

Not expecting to get the same distance.

Years ago I used to get 3000 miles (5000 Km) on my Sport Bike Comp K racing compound street tires but they were soooo much stickier than the OEM Dunlops and worth every nickle. Back then I only rode twisties, not distance, so I still got a few years from each set.

Attachments

#13 ·
27,000 is amazing! Definitely why I like the Dunlops. However, I must admit that the fat Metz is a prettier tire and damn good performance wise. Just wish it lasted like they did on my old Shadow.
You better put lots of km's on Gar so we can see how many you squeeze out of the Metzlers. How fast can you do that?:flamebike:

#8 · (Edited)
Well, I've just put 100 miles on my new Metzelers and they are smooth as silk with no balancing. I've no complaints about the Dunlops but these Metzelers seem a bit stickier (thus the reported somewhat shorter life expectancy) although that is a very subjective observation since I haven't ridden for 4 months and I have no way of measuring the difference, if any.

Suffice it to say they do feel GOOD and of course first ride of first season is very exhilarating.

I mounted the tires yesterday and next time I'll let a shop with a proper tire changing machine do it mark free. Even rim guards are not enough to avoid some minor damage to the paint which is hard to see unless you get very close.
First 15 miles I rode it exactly like I stole it. Very confidence inspiring just out of hiberation >:)

Attachments

#11 ·
Oh, I definitely agree with you on the Metzelers' feel over Dunlops. I've used Metzelers on all my bikes. In fact, my Fury came from the factory with Metzelers 880 tires. Love 'em.

I was just making sure others knew that you need to get the "new" scuffed off of new tires with a few miles riding before getting too aggressive.

#12 ·
my fury came from the dealer with the metzlers . I was happy as all get out . I have always run metzlers on all my bikes and I love them. I personally cant stand Dunlop tires and I realize that's just my opinion. I never had the first problem out of the metzlers . could be luck or riding style but im going to be sticking with them. But we all know it comes down to personal preference.

#16 ·
I must order me some new ME 880's. My old Dunlops have , I think, over 27000 miles on them. And my front is looking very thin. But my back still has a lot of tread left. Oh well.

#17 · (Edited)
I only got 17K (miles) on mine but thought my back had a fair bit left until I looked at the outside area of the tread and some of the grooves were all but gone. I guess cornering involves more slip and thus more wear.

FN, check out the Michelin Commander II in the video. Might be worth considering? Front 90/90 - 21 M/C 54H F TL Rear 200/50 R 18 MC 76H R TL

Just check it out and it looks like they now only offer a 240/40 in an 18" wheel.

#19 ·
If I go with Michelin, I would have to use the COMMANDER2 240/40R-18 M/C 79V as my rear since I will be using my newly widenned rear rim. And putting my new white spikes on also.

#25 ·
Reactions: Kbuskill
#27 · (Edited)
Marshmallows, the stuff of dreams and Florida roads are made of.

Remember, the road to many miles is paved with marshmallows. And always follow the mallow-brick road. Becuase becuase becuase becuase becuuaasse, becuase of the wonderful mileage it gives.

Reactions: Goat and Kbuskill
#29 ·
Give me time. It will happen. I will eventually post pics after all is done.

#33 ·
Metzlers have arrived ! Rebate update .

New tires received today on time. The front ME880 made in Brazil still, no cracking sidewalls yet (man. date 2014 ). The rear made in Germany, ( man. date 2013 ), no balancing red dot though hmmm.

The $50 rebate (gift card) when you buy a pair is actually good till Aug. 31, 2016. :winetime:

Also, this might be new, I didn't notice it before. They do make a 210/40 x 18 for the rear . Wider than stock but the height should still be about the same.

Just trying to help here.

#34 ·
Fresh Meat !

New Metzlers installed couple days ago, bike feels more nimble.. almost slippery :3ek: , 50 miles should scuff them up to normal.

:driving: INSTALLATION NOTE FOR METZLER ON FURY RIMS.... Honda has been putting a dot of paint ( all years ? ) on the rim at the heaviest point, be sure and tell your installer this fact so he won't place the red dot at the valve stem. You can see the paint dot in both pictures.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.