Rear lowering spring cheaper?? - Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Rear lowering spring cheaper??

Ok first off I'm just brainstorming here while at work. Has anybody ever done or even thought about using those springs that come in coil over sleeve kits for civics? I know the L&M Spring is 6" and $200, so why not get one that is also 6" and a set of 4 usually runs around $80. I know the inner diameter would have to match up, and spring rates, but your changing the spring rate to an unknown number anyway when ppl are cutting their stock springs. Just a thought...............

L&M:

Car coil sleeves:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 07:06 AM

Ask Krashd .

Salty Hog was here.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 10:01 AM

I am also just brainstorming out loud here... A civic weighs roughly 2600lbs, depending on model and options, there are 4 springs on a civic so we would divide that by 4... so 2600lbs ÷ 4 = 650lbs per spring but I would assume the front springs would be rated higher due to the engines weight.... Then the fact that our bikes shock/spring doesn't ride completely vertically will probably reduce the weight carrying capacity as well... At least it does when you are talking air cylinders for air ride... An air cylinder that is vertical will lift more weight than one that is tilted at an angle so I assume this will also effect a standard spring. Our bike weighs roughly 650lbs wet and ready to ride without a rider and our bikes are rated for a "maximum" payload of 320lbs or 350lbs I can't remember(CRS is kicking in)... So 650lbs + 350lbs = 1000lbs total ÷ 2 wheels = 500lbs per wheel but it will be more biased (heavier) towards the rear.... To look at it a different way the bike is 650lbs if you divide that by 2 it would be 325 on the rear plus the weight of the rider so assuming a 350lbs rider it would be 325lbs + 350lbs = 675lbs on the rear wheel

With all that being said... If you bought a set of 4 springs and they would fit it would seem that you would have 2 chances at making it work since you could try a front and a rear spring and see which one rode better... It seems plausible to me and for $80 if it doesn't your not out that much and you could probably pawn them off on CL to someone with a civic since there are a ton of them out there.

Only way we will know is if you try it... Keep us posted.

Now for the disclaimer... I cannot, should not, will not be held responsible for any damages to life, limb, property or anything else if you try this and get hurt, mamed, lamed, or killed. Pretty straight forward and simple, right?

Ok... Will the next brainstormer please come forward and state your case.
Rope likes this.

(Grandmaster of the Re-Flash Posse)
High Performance ECU Reflash Thread

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 10:34 AM

Take a look below for the equation for spring rate:

I figured I'd post this instead of trying to explain the entire thing.

Also the other thing you can do for cheap is just cut (or have it done as Bill did for me) the stock spring down.

What you end up doing is cutting about a 1-1/4 turns off of the stock coil. I say turns because you're not actually removing 1-1/4 active coils off of the spring (subtract # of coils that touch from total # of turns for # of active coils)...you are cutting the "dead" coil off plus a bit extra, but by flattening again you gain or consider that a "dead coil".

This effectively increases your spring rate. Because we don't have many coils to begin with, it can be a bit noticeable. I had to dial my compression back a bit with the new cut spring.

But, that being said, it is an effective way, and cheap, to get the bike lowered. Also, if you so desire, using what Kb provided above, you could calculate a spring rate that would work for the bike that would give you what you needed at a lower stance. And see if one of those springs would work, or source one that would.
460brevill, Kbuskill, Rope and 2 others like this.

Last edited by krashDH; 07-18-2016 at 10:42 AM.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 05:00 PM

good discussion.....don't quite understand the tech level.....but this is how we discover stuff
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbuskill View Post
I am also just brainstorming out loud here... A civic weighs roughly 2600lbs, depending on model and options, there are 4 springs on a civic so we would divide that by 4... so 2600lbs ÷ 4 = 650lbs per spring but I would assume the front springs would be rated higher due to the engines weight.... Then the fact that our bikes shock/spring doesn't ride completely vertically will probably reduce the weight carrying capacity as well... At least it does when you are talking air cylinders for air ride... An air cylinder that is vertical will lift more weight than one that is tilted at an angle so I assume this will also effect a standard spring. Our bike weighs roughly 650lbs wet and ready to ride without a rider and our bikes are rated for a "maximum" payload of 320lbs or 350lbs I can't remember(CRS is kicking in)... So 650lbs + 350lbs = 1000lbs total ÷ 2 wheels = 500lbs per wheel but it will be more biased (heavier) towards the rear.... To look at it a different way the bike is 650lbs if you divide that by 2 it would be 325 on the rear plus the weight of the rider so assuming a 350lbs rider it would be 325lbs + 350lbs = 675lbs on the rear wheel

With all that being said... If you bought a set of 4 springs and they would fit it would seem that you would have 2 chances at making it work since you could try a front and a rear spring and see which one rode better... It seems plausible to me and for $80 if it doesn't your not out that much and you could probably pawn them off on CL to someone with a civic since there are a ton of them out there.

Only way we will know is if you try it... Keep us posted.

Now for the disclaimer... I cannot, should not, will not be held responsible for any damages to life, limb, property or anything else if you try this and get hurt, mamed, lamed, or killed. Pretty straight forward and simple, right?

Ok... Will the next brainstormer please come forward and state your case.
Holy crap! Give that man a fields metal.
Kbuskill likes this.

Ride it like you stole it!
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rope View Post
Holy crap! Give that man a fields metal.
I assum you meant medal and not metal, since having a metal that will melt in hot water wouldn't do me much good I don't think... But a medal I could wear around my neck and along with a couple bucks could get me a cup of coffee... Lol

I also assume that auto correct is the culprit here.
Rope likes this.

post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 09:35 PM

Kbuskill likes this.

Ride it like you stole it!
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbuskill View Post
I assum you meant medal and not metal, since having a metal that will melt in hot water wouldn't do me much good I don't think... But a medal I could wear around my neck and along with a couple bucks could get me a cup of coffee... Lol

I also assume that auto correct is the culprit here.
Fury riding truck drivers always need more coffee
Kbuskill likes this.

Swing pegs , kuryakyn grips , 4" extentions 8degree trees , custom paint , radiator cover , rear fender mod , led taillight , SLK EXAUST , oversized pass pegs . Lower side cover , platinum air kit.. dam no wonder I'm broke !! I know there's more
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rope View Post
Do you want my address to send it to me or do I have to show up for some big ceremony???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode