Cobra PowrPro, Air Intake, Swept Exhaust - Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum

» Insurance
» Honda Fury Prices
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cobra PowrPro, Air Intake, Swept Exhaust

Greetings,

Last month I had Honda instal the Cobra PowrPro Fi2000r, Air Intake and Speedster Swept exhaust system. I can write now my (non-technical) findings, after fitment, adjustment, and riding.

When Honda (Australia) fitted all the above, the standard exhaust had Oxygen sensors, the new exghaust system did'nt have them, so Honda left them unplugged - but I have no adverse reaction to this, eg: Engine warning light continuously on etc etc as I have read in the forums - so no need for the 330ohm resistor.

The only adverse reaction I did have was the "popping" or backfire on deceleration - which actually made the exhaust quite loud - even if you tried to ride slowly to keep noise down, as soon as you were off the throttle, the popping and backfire would make the exhaust loud.

So I then rode the motorcycle from Melbourne to Adelaide, roughly 800km's.

So anecdotally, the bike sounded much, much better - throttle response is immediate with no lull or flat spots, and power/torque was available right through the whole rev range in each gear. The bike seemed to be more powerfull, but then I appreciated that the sound alone could give this impression, without any power improvement at all.

So in Adelaide I visited a performance bike workshop, in an attempt to get the pair valve blocking plates installed. The mechanic said this was overkill, so he pulled off my air intake cover, pulled the rubber hosing out and blocked it with a plastic knob jammed into the hose - so air supply was blocked negating any need to instal pair valve blocking plates, so that should the bike be pulled over for inspection, it was a simple matter to make it compliant again. He said he's done this to many different bikes.

The result was no backfire at all now. Completely gone.

So then I explained to him about the Cobra PowrPro Fi2000r. He basically said impossible, it cannot read anything as the O2 sensors were redundant now with the new exhaust. Although after a quick check on the internet, he did believe me. So we put the bike on the DynoTune to see if and what the PowrPro did.

I have the Dyno chart, but in summary it appears around a 10% improvement in both horsepower and torque - I am getting 60.48hp at 4500rpm and 77.59 Torque at 3500rpm. he was actually quite impressed the PowrPro does at it states it should do, and in fact the engine runs slightly rich, which he said was better than running lean.

Bottom line - the bike sounds awesome, 100% improvement, the response at throttle is immediate and smooth, and definitely feels like it has more power. The bike looks much more pleasing aesthetically with the exhaust and air intake. If required I can add the Dyno graph as an image file.

For the $1500 odd I've spent, I'd say the improvements were well worth the expense. Highly recommended.

Last edited by DmanOz; 03-12-2012 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Added Dyno chart, pics of air intake and swept exhaust
DmanOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Glad to hear that you put some new mods on the bike and things are running the way they are supposed to, you should put up some pictures of the bike so we can see all of it.

Mods: Morton Inferno And STG 2 into 1 Exhaust,Painted Engine,PowderCoated Rims,Kury Skull Shift pegs,Foot Pegs,Passenger Pegs,Danny Gray Seat,Ginz Sissybar,STG Fork Covers,Freedom T-Mod, PowderCoated Rims,Irate Skull Grill, MFR +3 Forwards
X_KIOWA_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Seņor Gar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmanOz View Post
Greetings, Last month I had Honda instal the Cobra PowrPro Fi2000r, Air Intake and Speedster Swept exhaust system.
I have the Dyno chart, but in summary it appears around a 10% improvement in both horsepower and torque - I am getting 60.48hp at 4500rpm and 77.59 Torque at 3500rpm.
Sounds like money well spent .
What are you using for comparison to estimate a 10% improvement ?

Factory X Forwards Climate Control . Bagger Convertible . Rack & Rest
longest ride, 3000 miles to my former home in SoCA and back ...
Seņor Gar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Gar View Post
Sounds like money well spent .
What are you using for comparison to estimate a 10% improvement ?

All I did was the lazybones Honda standard spec sheet comparison, not a before and after Dyno.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
All I did was the lazybones Honda standard spec sheet comparison, not a before and after Dyno.
Sounds reasonable since I would expect Honda's numbers to be realistic if not optimistic .

Here is a thread that your dyno tech might find interesting and informative: Cobra PowrPro - How it Works It has been well researched . Ahh, while writing this I see you have posted on that thread. Has your dyno tech seen it ?

Last edited by Seņor Gar; 03-13-2012 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Ahh
Old 03-13-2012, 12:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Sounds reasonable since I would expect Honda's numbers to be realistic if not optimistic .

Here is a thread that your dyno tech might find interesting and informative: Cobra PowrPro - How it Works It has been well researched . Ahh, while writing this I see you have posted on that thread. Has your dyno tech seen it ?
The tech was a one-off, I'd ridden 800km's and saw him to eliminate the deceleration popping. Which he did without the full pair valve mod.
He actually tried to pooh-hah the Cobra Fi2000r and turn me onto the other product some other fuel controller gizmo PowerTune or something, but he was so curious about a fuel controller that adjusts 80 times a second without adjusting pots or having O2 sensors connected, that he threw the bike up on the Dyno.

And the results confirmed the Fi2000r not only works, but does'nt do too bad a job at all.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
... he was so curious about a fuel controller that adjusts 80 times a second without adjusting pots or having O2 sensors connected, that he threw the bike up on the Dyno.
You may have just come up with the "free ticket" dyno check for PowrPro users. I'm sure just about every Dynojet operator will be skeptical and will take the bait to try and prove it can't work . This one in Las Vegas has offered the challenge.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
You may have just come up with the "free ticket" dyno check for PowrPro users. I'm sure just about every Dynojet operator will be skeptical and will take the bait to try and prove it can't work . This one in Las Vegas has offered the challenge.
the tech was'nt that keen on the Cobra air intake, he said he'd cut out as much of the underside as he could without changing the look so the unit is drawing in as much air as possible.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

What pot setting where used on the cobra Fi2000r?
NiteRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for sharing your findings. Definitely is reassuring to know that the powerpro already in transit to me, will make a good difference. BTW do you have your baffles in or out?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Advertisement