Bike Won't Start - Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum

» Insurance
» Honda Fury Prices
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bike Won't Start

So my bike has been hard to start lately....especially when hot. It didn't start yesterday so I jumped it and it finally started up. Went to class and when I got out it started up again but just barely. Went to start it this morning and it didn't start again. It'll crank and then get stuck for a few seconds and do the same thing again. I got a new battery since I'm still on the original but it didn't fix it. Anyone have any idea what's going on? Maybe the starter is giving out?

Thanks
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Have you been charging it? Even though it's new I would still put it on a trickle charger. I thought my battery was dead and would have to buy a new one, but after putting it on a trickle charger for a while it has been working, now I got to the point where after a ride I park it and put it on the charger.

Mods: Morton Inferno And STG 2 into 1 Exhaust,Painted Engine,PowderCoated Rims,Kury Skull Shift pegs,Foot Pegs,Passenger Pegs,Danny Gray Seat,Ginz Sissybar,STG Fork Covers,Freedom T-Mod, PowderCoated Rims,Irate Skull Grill, MFR +3 Forwards
X_KIOWA_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm at just over 9k miles, and I'm about to have my starter looked at. Its just not acting right. Its like half starting the bike a lot, and also fail starting.
Kirks Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirks Dream View Post
I'm at just over 9k miles, and I'm about to have my starter looked at. Its just not acting right. Its like half starting the bike a lot, and also fail starting.
Exactly what mine is doing....i'm almost at 20k though.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Take it to a battery place and have it checked for a dead cell and also have it checked under load. Starting.
mental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

my bet is the starter.
CBSIMONSEZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

put my money on the batt.
460brevill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Hard Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460brevill View Post
put my money on the batt.
I've gone thru this.
First-Make sure you have a good battery.
Second-Always put your battery on a tender when your are not riding.
Third-Starter.
Fourth-Starter relay switch
jumper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Richard1

Clueless, who is probably the most knowledgeable on this forum has posted several times. “is it cause or an effect, did the starter begin bad, or did something burn up the starter”. Might want to check to see if the starter switch has gone bad. According to Clueless, if you are having this problem, “1. Check the battery, 2. Check the starter switch, 3. Check the compression or at least look at the plugs”.

Judge, Jury & Bulldozer
Richard1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daRe View Post
So my bike has been hard to start lately....especially when hot. It didn't start yesterday so I jumped it and it finally started up. Went to class and when I got out it started up again but just barely. Went to start it this morning and it didn't start again. It'll crank and then get stuck for a few seconds and do the same thing again. I got a new battery since I'm still on the original but it didn't fix it. Anyone have any idea what's going on? Maybe the starter is giving out?

Thanks
Next time it wont start put it in 3rd or 4th gear and roll it backwards until the engine goes one revolution and see is it starts right up.
Stingray719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement