Cobra Swept Exhaust Question - Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum

» Insurance
» Honda Fury Prices
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cobra Swept Exhaust Question

Went to a bike night last night and found someone who knew my bike since it used to be his buddy's. As we chatted, he mentioned that he took out the baffle from the Cobra pipes for him. I told him that the sound was great without the baffles, but he mentioned that only one is out, the upper one. Not sure how I missed that, but it made me question how good it is to have one baffle in and not the other. I am thinking I will take it out, but is there any issue from having one in? Does this affect the back pressure in an uneven (bad) way?

Any information would be helpful as I will most likely just take the other one out anyway.
Cooperj is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Back pressure is a myth. Many many people run no baffles at all, or an "open" exhaust. The better a motor breathes IN as well as OUT the better it will perform, as long as it is tuned for it. Do you have an intake? You won't need a fuel controller with just modified exhaust, but if you have/get an intake, you should get a fuel controller too.
Exredninjaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Get a nail pry bar. Wedge it in there. Get Vice Grips and lock them on the pry bar handle good and tight. Take your trusty BFH and tap the Vice Grips until that bastard is out.

Only back pressure on my bike comes from me.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

I figured back pressure was more a myth, however I know some of that matters with auto exhaust and catalytic converters.

I will take the other baffle out, but I do not have an intake just yet. My plan is to put a spike intake on along with a fuel controller, cobra or otherwise.

I will have to look around for a video of the best way to take out the baffle. Thanks
Old 09-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Fury View Post
Get a nail pry bar. Wedge it in there. Get Vice Grips and lock them on the pry bar handle good and tight. Take your trusty BFH and tap the Vice Grips until that bastard is out.

Only back pressure on my bike comes from me.
Night Fury, I had a great laugh on that response! Glad I am not riding behind you when you release that back pressure.

I will get that bastard baffle out of there!! (and release some back pressure for good measure)
Old 09-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

There are those who will disagree about back pressure, but I've never been convinced.
Exredninjaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

I cannot wait to see what it sounds like without the other baffle. I thought it already sounded really good.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperj View Post
Night Fury, I had a great laugh on that response! Glad I am not riding behind you when you release that back pressure.
Bro, it's not like I'm a constant source of miscellaneous gaseous expulsions. But I'd like to believe that even a rider behind me without a full face will be unaffected whenever said relief is achieved at a speed even as low as 35 mph. However, at 70+ mph said expulsion on an interstate is scientifically proven to be dissipated within seconds in order to prevent natural wildlife and flor from becoming affected by toxic gases.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperj View Post
I cannot wait to see what it sounds like without the other baffle. I thought it already sounded really good.
Oh that's simple! Find a volunteer. Start your bike. Position yourself behind your bike with your ear close to the unbaffled pipe. Not too close as it may be hot! Also be careful not to inhale an over abundance of exhaust fumes as this can be hazardous! Ask volunteer to rev your bike for 30 seconds to a minute and stop. Plug your ear furthest from the pipe with your sanitationally cleaned finger. Close your eyes and begin imagining sequence. When volunteer taps you on the shoulder, open your eyes and focus on his/ her lips and attempt to understand what is being communicated. Nod regardless if you can comprehend and conclude by smiling ear to ear and give a huge thumbs up. Your hearing will return in a few days. It'll be ok. You'll have the other baffle out by then anyway.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Fury View Post
Oh that's simple! Find a volunteer. Start your bike. Position yourself behind your bike with your ear close to the unbaffled pipe. Not too close as it may be hot! Also be careful not to inhale an over abundance of exhaust fumes as this can be hazardous! Ask volunteer to rev your bike for 30 seconds to a minute and stop. Plug your ear furthest from the pipe with your sanitationally cleaned finger. Close your eyes and begin imagining sequence. When volunteer taps you on the shoulder, open your eyes and focus on his/ her lips and attempt to understand what is being communicated. Nod regardless if you can comprehend and conclude by smiling ear to ear and give a huge thumbs up. Your hearing will return in a few days. It'll be ok. You'll have the other baffle out by then anyway.
It sounds like you have done this to a couple people already...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement