Did it: Bought V&H Slip Ons - 1 More Question! - Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum

» Insurance
» Honda Fury Prices
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Did it: Bought V&H Slip Ons - 1 More Question!

So, based on my other threads and info I got from you guys I went with the V&H Slip Ons in the end. They arrived yesterday and I am going to install them on Sunday.

One question, and hopefully the last from me for a while, is if I should take the baffles out right away or leave them in.

What are the risks involved - I've read around the forum and there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer regarding baffles.

Is it significantly louder without them?

Just looking for advice - I'm totally new to the aftermarket world!
McDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'd say take them out now as long as it's the sound you want. Don't listen to any "You need back pressure" foolishness. This is not a 2 stroke motor. The 4 stroke motor needs to breathe.
Exredninjaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hi McDodge,
Congrats on the V&H slipons,
You may experience popping or backfire on decelerating, if you do, read here.
VTX-Parts 1300 & 1800 Honda VTX Custom Motorcycle Parts, Pair Valve Covers, Radiator Grill Covers, Exhaust System Covers, Reed Valve Covers, Polished Stainless Steel, Polished Aluminum, Chrome
You will need the plates with the dimples.
Leo will sort you out.
All the best mate.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have the 3" cobra slips, and I just finished my experiment with baffles in and out. After taking them out and riding a little, my opinion is that they are now louder, obnoxious, and I need to put my baffles back in. They also have that tinny sound I do not like after taking the baffles out.
Also, I am with Exred about the back pressure issue.
So, make your choice and enjoy the results.
FuryousNurse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

People tend to forget that the baffles do more than just drop the noise level a few dB, they also remove the high frequencies and by doing that they give the exhaust note a deeper rumble. Leave the baffles in and ride around for a while to see how you like it. You may even find that it is to loud and want to put some V&H "quiet" baffles in. Quiet in this case is relative as all after market exhausts are crazy loud in my opinion.
macxpert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

I have the V&H slip ons, I tried it both ways but in the end the baffles sound better in. Like macxpert said with them in you donít get all that raspy sound and also with the baffles out you hear a boomy type of a sound like marbles rattling inside a tin can. I modified mine a little buy cutting the screen off on the motor side of the baffle that will open it up just enough, all in all not a bad sound nice and throaty and she cracks when you want them to.
Best Regards,
PAFURY
PAFURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

PAFury, just how exactly and in detail did you modify your baffles??
The way Cobra's are made are:
1. straight perf pipe
2. thin metal screen on outside of perf part
3. a sleeve of compressed fiberglass over the pipe and screen.
How would you modify this??
Old 11-25-2012, 07:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuryousNurse View Post
PAFury, just how exactly and in detail did you modify your baffles??
The way Cobra's are made are:
1. straight perf pipe
2. thin metal screen on outside of perf part
3. a sleeve of compressed fiberglass over the pipe and screen.
How would you modify this??
I started by drilling the plate with a few 1/4 holes but the end result I just cut the plate off, se pic for location of plate
Regards,
PAFURY
Did it: Bought V&H Slip Ons - 1 More Question!-vance-hines-quiet-exhaust-baffles-pair-vh-bigshotsstraightshots_517510_500.jpg
Old 11-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Wow, that's a really horrid baffle. My cobra baffle is a straight thru perf pipe open at both ends. The only thing I can do is cut off fiberglass and seal up perforations. Any thoughts on that?
Old 11-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuryousNurse View Post
Wow, that's a really horrid baffle. My cobra baffle is a straight thru perf pipe open at both ends. The only thing I can do is cut off fiberglass and seal up perforations. Any thoughts on that?
get some thunder baffles, they sound awsome
Regards,
PAFURY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement