Fuel Pump Sediment - Page 6 - Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum

» Insurance
» Honda Fury Prices
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Gar View Post
You first .
I should really take a look first to see if my tank has suffered the same fate. I won't be surprised if it has. Meanwhile I'll consult my resident mechanical come petrochemical engineer expert (my Dad) to get his take on the problem.
macxpert is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #52 (permalink)

Maybe Im blind but is it the welds or the regular surface area of the tank that is chipping off?

Is it the ethanol that is doing the damage? Do you use ethanol free gas or gas with ethanol?

Thanks Senor.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #53 (permalink)

Location: West End of the 49th 2010-ABS-Fury (US) Septuagenarian Rider
Send a message via Skype™ to Seņor Gar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Maybe Im blind but is it the welds or the regular surface area of the tank that is chipping off?
It's only on the welds. I'm thinking the metallurgy is altered by the weld/heat which affects the adhesion of the internal coating .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Is it the ethanol that is doing the damage? Do you use ethanol free gas or gas with ethanol?
Hard to say; maybe . Almost everybody in NA uses 10% ethanol; federally mandated I believe . No longer necessary since CO emissions have been kept in check by modern EFI systems since the 80's
"If the beneficial effects of oxygenated fuel have largely been bypassed by modern feedback-loop injection systems, which control the air-to-fuel ratio much more closely, why is ethanol still in your fuel? Because the second President Bush made a decision to offset some of our dependence on foreign oil with domestically produced alcohol, and the Corn Belt senators agreed. Ethanol plants have mushroomed, ramping up U.S. production from 1.77 billion gallons in 2001 to 10.75 billion gallons in 2009. Politics aside, odds are near 100 percent that there's as much as 10 percent alcohol in the gasoline you're pumping into your car and that 5-gallon can you use to fuel all your other gas engines.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:55 AM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenhorse View Post
Good stuff Gar, I bet it broke down in pump too.
Didn't see any evidence of a coating inside the aluminum pump reservoir Bob. I would appear that all the sediment collected at the bottom of the reservoir was transferred from the tank.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #55 (permalink)

That sucks that this is happening to you. From the pictures I looked at it seams that all the "corrosion" is only on the welded seams, which makes me think that they never cleaned the welds from factory. When you weld any kind of steel the impurities come to the surface and form what is called slag, most welder clean this all away so they can see the actual weld. This is true unless the welded seams have been welded with a tig welding procedure or mig welding procedure with a shielding gas. I would say that you will be going through this until all the slag has fallen off the welds which could take awhile.

Hope this helps.
Millwright86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #56 (permalink)
jw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Gar View Post
Didn't see any evidence of a coating inside the aluminum pump reservoir Bob. I would appear that all the sediment collected at the bottom of the reservoir was transferred from the tank.
So a inline filter on the feed line would resolve pump issues if its all being transferred ?
jw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #57 (permalink)

here i take some time off from the forum to deilver liqour to the masses and i run into this thread. Im at a loss for words. Although, i was going to suggest that the white residue looks like a clear coat that has flaked off from the inside of the fuel tank. I have but a lil 7K miles on the bike and no problems since i replaced that starter last year. Im curious to see what is in my fuel pump housing to see if i have the same build up, but i really dont want to tear the bike apart again.
CBSIMONSEZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw View Post
So a inline filter on the feed line would resolve pump issues if its all being transferred ?
An inline filter is not a good idea as explained here . A proper inline main filter is too large for the space available and the small secondary filters you see close to the carburetors on old cars are designed for the fine stuff that gets through the main filter so they would plug up quickly if used first inline.

If you want to play it safe do the FP internal filter upgrade . Our fuel pumps are in a reservoir which is designed to hold sediment at the bottom with a horizontal fuel filter held above to stay out of the sediment. The new type B vertical filter allows it to draw fuel from further up inside the reservoir in situations where there is excessive fuel contamination. That same excessive contamination will plug an inline filter in short order and stop your engine when it would have been fine if the contaminants were allowed to pass into the fuel pump and rest harmlessly at the bottom of the reservoir. It's not always a good idea to apply carburetor technology to fuel injections systems.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBSIMONSEZ View Post
Although, i was going to suggest that the white residue looks like a clear coat that has flaked off from the inside of the fuel tank. I have but a lil 7K miles on the bike and no problems since i replaced that starter last year. Im curious to see what is in my fuel pump housing to see if i have the same build up, but i really dont want to tear the bike apart again.
Agreed. I expect the same thing is happening to all our Fury gas tanks . It's not that hard to clean the reservoir and upgrade the filter. Just remove seat, rear fender, rear wheel and spring/shock to get at it. Sounds like a lot but Honda has done some pretty tidy engineering in this regard. Follow the service manual and filter kit instructions.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millwright86 View Post
That sucks that this is happening to you.
Don't look now but I'm betting it's happening to you too and every other Fury owner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millwright86 View Post
From the pictures I looked at it seams that all the "corrosion" is only on the welded seams, which makes me think that they never cleaned the welds from factory.
It's only in the vicinity of the welded seams but the welds are 'clean'. I expect they are robotic inert gas welds. I'm thinking the metallurgy of the adjacent metal is altered by the weld/heat which affects the adhesion of the internal coating in a 1" path on either side of the welded seam.

Just look at the quality of the outside of the welds on the bottom of your tank. Possibly some physical metal 'cleaning' treatment on the inside of the tank would help but you can't get inside once the tank is welded together. Or maybe there is a chemical treatment that would have done the job before the tank 'liner' coating was applied but I'm thinking not likely if the metallurgy has been altered. But all that is irrelevant now. The best we can do is filter out the sediment before it reaches the pump and injectors and routinely clean the reservoir as needed.
Advertisement