Fuel Pump Sediment - Page 8 - Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum

» Insurance
» Honda Fury Prices
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #71 (permalink)

Location: West End of the 49th 2010-ABS-Fury (US) Septuagenarian Rider
Send a message via Skype™ to Señor Gar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
If this is caused by ethanol then it should be breaking down welds in all kinds of motors. Surely its not a Honda weld design flaw.
I think the welds are OK but the internal tank coating appears not to be adhering properly to the welded areas and should have a rethink by Honda . I saw no evidence of the coating breaking down on the rest of the tank interior so I wouldn't blame the ethanol just yet . Eventually, it may run it's course over all the welded seams and that could put an end to the white residue.

Thing is, I expect the coating is a rust preventative so the exposed welds may be vulnerable to rust if the fuel level is left too low over extended periods like winter storage .

Contacting Honda corporate is useless so the best channel of communication is through your dealer provided he can give good enough info to his Honda service rep and the rep cares enough to follow through with corporate. Now, as you can imagine, if this problem affects every Fury and possibly other power sports vehicles, with the high cost of voluntary recalls, Honda will likely choose to ignore it since the filter and reservoir are designed to deal with moderate amounts of sediment. Also, Honda may be quietly addressing this issue with their service bulletin regarding the fuel filter upgrade kit to prevent clogging from an excessive accumulation of sediment . I would pursue this with my dealer but that is a two day trip minimum and the service manager has dropped the ball on previous simple requests for information that involve corporate .
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #72 (permalink)

Read some good things about Sea Foam dissolving sediments and other gunk.

Going to put that in once a month.

In the winter will fill the tank and put in fuel stabilizer

If the tank rusts it rusts.

Last edited by Wildman; 01-06-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #73 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
If this is caused by ethanol then it should be breaking down welds in all kinds of motors.

Surely its not a Honda weld design flaw.
I have a friend who has a VSTAR , same issue as the fury, liner dissolving ,
His mechanic is re-lining it for him ,
He is going to send me the details of re-lining process,
I will post when he does!
Lol he called it the pepto Bismal treatment!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
DaveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:53 AM   #74 (permalink)

Do we have a lawyer in here?
We should file class action lawsuit On behalf of every Fury owner that will get honda to listen.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Blue #397 -Cobra Swept, Accutronix Side plate, Spoiler Chin, Irate Tribal Grill Cover, ISO Grips, ISO Throttle Boss, ISO Stiletto Caps, Zombie Levers, Deep Dish Bezels signals, 3” Extended FC.
ScorpionKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #75 (permalink)

I just ordered my fuel filter kit, I'll replace the filter while I'm disassembled for winter. Not looking forward to taking the rear wheel off, but oh well. It'll be easier with the new pipe design.
Reaper theme paint by Painter, Sweeping Beater Apes by BR Custom, DNA/Ridewright Fat-spoke wheels, Dakota Digital speedo, Cobra Swept exhaust, Thunder MFG adapter, D2Moto Chrome Spike, C&C solo Tribal Flame seat, 8 deg trees & 3" extensions, Kury Chrome Engine Covers, Accutronix side plate mount, Irate grill, Demons Cycle LED mirrors, Chrome Glow LED rear signal, Cobra Fi2000, Barnett Platinum cables, Billet Spike grips/pegs...
djconroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #76 (permalink)

Default Tank Seam

Hear is a good shot (more light) of a good section of the tank seam. The white spots are the beginning of the breakdown of the inside 'protective' coating .
Old 01-08-2013, 12:31 AM   #77 (permalink)

Senor Gar your technical advise is helpful in order to replace a fuel pump but i thing i want to ask and shear is rubber fuel joint 16719-HN8-A61 is necessary or we can use same old fuel jointor? i think we can use same old fuel joint.
jordanbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:11 AM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanbrown View Post
Senor Gar your technical advise is helpful in order to replace a fuel pump but i thing i want to ask and shear is rubber fuel joint 16719-HN8-A61 is necessary or we can use same old fuel jointor? i think we can use same old fuel joint.
Most probably the hardest question you will ever have to answer Gar.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:33 AM   #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanbrown View Post
... is rubber fuel joint 16719-HN8-A61 is necessary or we can use same old fuel jointor? ...
I didn't do my homework on this one (first time ) and neglected to order the rubber fuel joint and the green fuel joint retainer. When I got around to installing the kit I saw the error of my ways but forged ahead regardless thinking if it leaks I'll do it over . It doesn't leak (yet) even though I had it apart twice .

That said, both the service bulletin and shop manual clearly state that these old parts are to be replaced with new parts. I did not replace those two parts but I will next time in a year or two on my next inspection. On the other hand I must recommend that you replaced them since I always defer to the factory engineers' advice.

You are the master of your own destiny so you must steer your own course .
Old 01-08-2013, 05:48 AM   #80 (permalink)

What can i say to that ?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Motorcycle.com App

Last edited by Furious Brit; 01-08-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Furious Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement