Honda Fury Forums: banner

US Reflashed ECU for an EU Fury

12K views 102 replies 22 participants last post by  Furi15 
#1 · (Edited)
I contacted Ken, aka The Grandmaster Reflash, about getting a new ECU to reflash, so I could keep my stock untouched. After discussing options he found a second hand US ECU and we agreed to see if it would work on my EU Fury.
The reflashed unit was sent to Steveo and I collected it from him before heading back to the UK.
I installed it and found it wouldn't work. Damn, was it a duff unit or was there a compatibility issue?
An exchange of telephone conversations and some research lead Ken to find a YouTube link from an Australian Honda CB owner using a U.S. ECU on an Australian bike. It is the European HISS (security system) that causes the compatibility problem.
There is one important difference between the U.S. and EU unit. The U.S. ECU requires a 12v power supply to both sides of the unit.
The ECU has two sets (black and grey) of 33 pins each. After some trial and error, and wiring diagrams from MacX, I was able to make a connection between the battery and Pin No 16 on the grey side of the ECU.
IT WORKS! The engine fire up first time!
I've yet to take the bike out for a ride. I still need the correct pin fix as wire stuffed in the plug isn't permanent if anyone has a spare harness let me know :).

Thanks Ken, MacX, Gar (Ken tells me you helped with locating grey pin 16) for the collaboration. It's been a true trans Atlantic Fury Partnership getting this to work!

Couple of video burst during the relearn:

http://youtu.be/TSqV6f_nYz0

http://youtu.be/CYpxRHTmDfc

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

See less See more
#3 ·
I was waiting for the big reveal... and here it is... lol:cool:

Allan is a real trooper hanging in there with me on this project and seeing it through to the end. It is much appreciated my friend.

This should potentially open up the door for other members overseas to be able to go this same route.

Will it cost a little more?
Yes... because you will have to purchase a used ECU and then have it reflashed.
BUT it will save you from having any downtime for the bike. Shipping your ECU to the States and then back could take upwards of 3-4 weeks depending on customs and whatnot.

We think this disables the HISS system but don't know for sure since Allan said the HISS light still flashes when the key is off but shuts off when the bike is running. He doesn't have a non-chipped key to try and see if the HISS is actually working or not but assuming that it is not working you could still have a "security system" by hooking the extra 12V+ wire needed for the ECU to a micro switch hidden on the bike somewhere (when the switch is off the bike won't start) or by hooking that wire to an aftermarket alarm that would cut the power to that wire when armed and restore power to it when disarmed.

This also allows you to keep your stock ECU untouched incase of warranty claims or emissions testing or whatever.

The other option is to send your EU/AU/UK ECU over amd have it reflashed which keeps your HISS system working as designed. My opinion is if they want the bike bad enough they will load it in a truck and be gone, HISS or no HISS, but that is just my opinion. If anyone has any further questions I will do my best to answer them.

#4 ·
I was waiting for the big reveal... and here it is... lol:cool:

Allan is a real trooper hanging in there with me on this project and seeing it through to the end. It is much appreciated my friend.

This should potentially open up the door for other members overseas to be able to go this same route.

Will it cost a little more?
Yes... because you will have to purchase a used ECU and then have it reflashed.
BUT it will save you from having any downtime for the bike. Shipping your ECU to the States and then back could take upwards of 3-4 weeks depending on customs and whatnot.

We think this disables the HISS system but don't know for sure since Allan said the HISS light still flashes when the key is off but shuts off when the bike is running. He doesn't have a non-chipped key to try and see if the HISS is actually working or not but assuming that it is not working you could still have a "security system" by hooking the extra 12V+ wire needed for the ECU to a micro switch hidden on the bike somewhere (when the switch is off the bike won't start) or by hooking that wire to an aftermarket alarm that would cut the power to that wire when armed and restore power to it when disarmed.

This also allows you to keep your stock ECU untouched incase of warranty claims or emissions testing or whatever.

The other option is to send your EU/AU/UK/AND JAPAN/[/COLOR]ECU over amd have it reflashed which keeps your HISS system working as designed. My opinion is if they want the bike bad enough they will load it in a truck and be gone, HISS or no HISS, but that is just my opinion. If anyone has any further questions I will do my best to answer them.

Thanks for all the hard work. Please don't leave the odd man in Japan out. It hurts my feelings. lol

Tigger

#13 ·
That would be a negative Sir... he doesn't keep that kind of stuff in stock... but you can find them from motorcycle salvage yards online... although for us in the states its a remarkably fast turn around time so most guys can do without there bike for 2-3 days. Doesn't really seem worth the added expense to me... but its your boat Brother, whatever floats it... lol

#7 ·
Thats interesting, good read. Has any AUS forum members had theirs done yet?. I want to get mine done but need my ride for work travel at the moment while my ute is off the road. Maybe closer to summer.
Keeping the HISS alive is a bonus when insuring your bike here in Aus, dont know about other countries.
Thanks for that

#9 ·
I will check a couple dealers and shops here to see how much ECU runs new and used for EU/AUS/Cali/Japan model with the smog control.:D

Tigger

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog
#11 ·
The problem with buying a new or used EU/AU/UK/JDM spec ECU is that it won't be programmed for the chip in "your" key so the bike still won't start. You would have to have your keys reprogrammed to your new/used ECU OR send your old ECU to Don with your new ECU so he could program the new one to be compatible with your original security key, which completely defeats the purpose of not having to send your ECU and the bike being down.

So as you can see... it isn't as easy as it sounds. .. lol

As I said before... I am not 100% positive that what we did actually disabled the HISS system since the light still flashes when the bike is off and goes out when running it would appear to still be intact and functional but further testing is needed. Since Allan doesn't have a spare key without a chip in it to test with the only other option would be to disconnect the wiring to the sensor ring around the key and see if the bike still cranks, then we would know. To be honest I would have thought with the US spec ECU that the HISS light would be non functional but that is clearly not the case.

As far as the insurance is concerned they are not going to actually check the functionality of your HISS sytem. .. they will ask if the bike came with a security system amd if they did look at the bike the HISS light still functions as normal so they are non the wiser. At least that is the way they do things over here. And like I said you can hook that additional wire up to a switch or alarm and have the same thing as HISS if it makes you sleep better at night.

In the end most bikes that are stolen end up in a chop shop where they are dismantled and sold for parts and the people doing it couldn't care less whether they can start it or not... they will pull up with a truck and a few guys and your bike will be gone HISS or not.... where there is a will, there is a way. Just my 2 cents.

#10 ·
So long story short my bike is somewheres else so I'm trying to get the part number for a EU/AUS/Cali/Japan model ECU. it is #17 on this scamatic right? the two numbers I'm finding online are

PGM-FI Unit 2921186 or 2742369

Help!

Thanks

Tigger

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
This news arrived a day after I dropped my bike off in another part of Japan for R&D on a different part. And it doesn't need to run while it's there. AHRGGG!:mad:

And I have no problem express shipping mine both ways so it would only take about 4-5 days, the same number of days I'm w/o my bike.

Just cain't win some, lol.

just have to see when the next time I can stand the down time and send mine.

Tigger

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog
#28 · (Edited)
I don't have my bike till Thursday, but I will check it out. Other(top secret) R&D going on, but when that's done I will be all over this. Many pics will proceed my sending my ecu out for re-flash. :D

Invicta, you are a saint.

Tigger

#41 ·
First test run

I took her out for her first run with the US ECU. Like you said Gar THE FURY WAS UNLEASHED! Boy is it different not having that limiter holding you back on each gear change! Very gusty cross winds here today, so couldn't play much at the top end, but second and third gears were alot of fun with her kicking to pull you faster with each change and me deciding when to change gears rather than the limiter. The 700rpm idle is pretty cool too. No stalling when at the traffic lights and a lot of fun pulling away with higher rev gear changes :cool::D. :thumbsup:

#46 ·
And I get to see this unleashed Fury in person at FF2.

#50 · (Edited)
Summer hasn't gone as planned, just too much work, and the bike has been out of commission for over two months.
Ken sent a couple of pins over for me to wire in a permanent 12v power supply, necessary to run the U.S. ECU on EU/Aus/Jap etc Furys.
Finally got around to fitting the pin. Had to open up the plug to fit it and wasn't sure what to expect so here's some pics for those who may be doing this in the future.

These pins are small. Here's a pic with a penny/dime for scale:

Opening up the plug wasn't too difficult and the pins all lock into the housing so they won't pull out, which was a concern. Once you pull the top off the plug and prize out the orange waterproof rubber there is enough space to clip the new pin into place

I took up Ken's suggestion of fitting an isolating switch for the 12v power supply. This acts as added security - engine won't turn over without the power to the U.S. ECU and also allows me to swap back to the standard non-flashed ECU which doesn't need the extra power supply. Managed to locate a switch between my exhaust pipes.

Here's the switch close up:

Took her for a test ride and all is working well! :D

#51 ·
Summer hasn't gone as planned, just too much work, and the bike has been out of commission for over two months.
Ken sent a couple of pins over for me to wire in a permanent 12v power supply, necessary to run the U.S. ECU on EU/Aus/Jap etc Furys.
Finally got around to fitting the pin. Had to open up the plug to fit it and wasn't sure what to expect so here's some pics for those who may be doing this in the future.

Man, that new kickstand looks really nice.

#53 ·
Awesome work Allan... Glad that it all worked out and you got it all fitted proper. Cool spot for the switch... Very inconspicuous... Would be hard to locate for anyone trying to steal your bike... As long as they don't read this thread... Lol

How about giving us a report back after you get some miles on her with the reflash. I know you rode her before but probably had some reservations about testing it out too much with the makeshift wire stuck in the connector. Have fun, ride safe.

#54 ·
It's been a fun process working with you and getting this up and running, thanks bud. :toast: I'm going to run a tank of fuel with the power pro still hooked up and then disconnect it. Then I'll report back on performance. Already enjoying the increased revs for first and second :grin::flamebike:

#73 ·
You're still the master of the cockney rhyme though, Mick. Sure wish you'd come over here and teach me more. Too hard to learn here and there through the computer.

Course, what good would it do me living here? No one would understand a damn word I said.

#84 ·
"Big breasted British Girls"......all in good time....you'll have to work your way up to that particular pass time!......first of you will both need to be part of our early civilization.....I think a good start place for you and Ken would be the ancient welcoming of spring and harvest of good crops and fertility.....it involves a very small amount of the correct attire (don't panic Steve no women's clothes needed) and a small amount of getting involved with the ancient rites......we call it Morris dancing.....oh don't worry Ken we can handle you both together over here at the same time!......please feel free to google the Morris dancing rituals..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.