Honda Fury Forums: banner

2010 starter issues

15K views 76 replies 22 participants last post by  460brevill 
#1 ·
there are a few threads on here devoted to fury starter issues. I've been screwing with my 2010 for several years over a starter that drags when hot. thanks to this forum I'm sure the starter is crap and Honda knows it. the only reason this part wasn't recalled is it is not a safety issue. we need a grass roots effort to get this recalled please help me light a fire under Honda's butt.

#2 ·
I had a recall notice sent to me for the starter about a month ago and had it replaced at no cost, contact honda and check to see if yours was under the recent recall.

#49 ·
Hi Jarred,

Can I get more info from you about this recall? My dealer said there have been no recalls at all regarding the starter motor. I'm having issues with the hot starting and Honda can't help! They said to replace the starter (at my cost). The forum is suggesting replace the starter, the battery (EarthX) or the starter relay. The starter is just on $600, the EarthX battery is $714 and no idea what the starter relay is worth. If you have a recall notice that may help me.

Cheers

Gary

#5 · (Edited)
$300 labor for a 30 min job.... LMAO

It's really not bad to change it out if you have basic mechanical skills and tools.

I honestly believe the issue is the battery they stick in is just barely adequate when new and gets worse with age. I replaced my battery with one with more cranking amps (a lot more cranking amps... Lol... An EarthX) and have had ZERO issues since, even on the hottest Florida days.

#4 ·
I've been dicking with this starting issue for quite a few years. I don't know if it's the starter, but since I bought a new battery at the beginning of the riding season, I have had zero hot start problems. I replaced the battery with the same type of Yuasa that came with the bike.

#6 · (Edited)
There is a trend appearing here :rolleyes:
A top of the line pulse charger (CTEK MUS4.3) solved my hot start problem. It's always connected and set to the mode for optimized charging of our demanding AGM batteries when the Fury is parked. Still on my original battery 6 years later :co-ol:

I believe it's the battery and not the starter unless an inexperienced thumb held the starter button down too long when it wouldn't crank. That unfortunate act could damage (overheat) the starter windings.

BTW Jarred, that "recall" was for the 2014-2015 starter relay.

#7 ·
Bought my 2010 Fury used, 3 years ago. Still on the same battery that came with the bike. I do hook it up to a trickle charger every now and then. Usually within 15 minutes it indicates a full charge but I do it anyway. When riding every day I don't bother, it starts up with no issues. A fully charged battery is a neccesity for a good start.

#8 ·
i'm on my third battery. first time I thought because I used something other than stock it was my fault. replaced that with stock and suffered thru 3 yrs of dicking with it. bought another new one 2 weeks ago same issues. I have 3 other bikes so I only have 11,000 on the fury. the over view of this issue is Honda has a starter problem with fury models.

#10 ·
I finally replaced my stock battery last night. Bought a lithium ion like six months ago and it's just been sitting in the garage lol. Lately my clock has been resetting, along with the 'tripometer'. I've also had the hot start issue every now and then, but I'd been charging the stock battery about once a month. I just figured it was time to get that new battery in there. Guess I'll see if anything changes.

#11 · (Edited)
Senor Gar said:
There is a trend appearing here :rolleyes:
A top of the line pulse charger (CTEK MUS4.3) solved my hot start problem. It's always connected and set to the mode for optimized charging of our demanding AGM batteries when the Fury is parked. Still on my original battery 6 years later :co-ol:

I believe it's the battery and not the starter unless an inexperienced thumb held the starter button down too long when it wouldn't crank. That unfortunate act could damage (overheat) the starter windings.

Gar, I bought one of those chargers, but also went ahead and bought a new battery anyway.

Stephen would argue with you about it being the battery not the starter. LOL

As for me, if after the new battery, I could ride all season with no issue, especially at the gas pump where it always gave me grief, I'd have to say my starter is fine and the battery had to be the problem.

#12 ·
This may sound simple but, I had the same problem every time I rode my 2010. I replaced the battery with an earth x battery 2 months ago and after 2500 miles I have not had any issues at all. A little expensive (350.00) but, worth every penny. You can also unhook the battery all winter then in the spring bolt it back up and away you go. It will hold it's charge up to a year if not connected.

#14 ·
Replaced my battery with a battery tender brand with 240 cranking amps so far so good. Thanks for all the battery info. I have been in contact with Honda USA because I believe this is a factory issue. If enough people at least mention to them they have starter issues with the factory set up may be a recall could happen. If it was a safety issue it would get more attention but nobodies dying if your bike won't start.

#15 · (Edited)
It is really a starter issue masked by a more powerful or freshly charged battery. How else do you explain that when pouring cold water over the starter will suddenly allow the starter motor to work again:confuzed: A lot has been written about this, but I guess people will continue to ignore the hard evidence by Stephen and myself and will debate the "starter" issue well into the next century.

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog
#16 ·
Good to see you back on here Pickel, hadn't seen you around in a while, glad that a croc didn't get ya... Lol

I agree 100% that the starter gets heat soaked and that is what causes the bike to have hot starting issues because when I wrapped my starter in heat shielding material it got rid of about 90% of my hot start problem. However, let me play the devils advocate here for a second and ask, what if there is really nothing wrong with the starter and it just needs more amperage (a bigger battery) to spin it over when hot, which is normal. I think Honda was limited on space with the design of our bikes and decided not to go with a higher output battery because with a lead acid/AGM battery it would have to be bigger and with a lithium battery it would have cost more which would have hurt their profit margin.

OR

Maybe they should have just issued all of us a lifetime supply of that special (mineral/spring) water to pour over our starters:wink::grin:

#38 ·
In the hands of the Gods now!

Well, Honda now have my letter. They have acknowledged receipt and I have a case number. Just a matter of waiting now to see what they say.

Reactions: Goat
#39 ·
Well, Honda now have my letter. They have acknowledged receipt and I have a case number. Just a matter of waiting now to see what they say.

I have my written reply from Honda....

"Our service department have confirmed our system shows only one change in the starter motor and that Honda Australia have only ever had the current stator motor in our market, we cannot make a comment on other markets. We have no history on replacing the starter motor to suggest that there are any issues, in the past 5 years we have only dispatched 3 stator motors."

:frown:

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog
#45 ·
This is sound advice. If I ever have battery issues I'm going check the plastic with a multimeter. Might get me somewhere

that is unexceptionable
I had a really hard time pronouncing that word, even reading it our loud to myself at my desk. I asked a co worker what it meant....

Reactions: Kbuskill and Goat
#56 ·
#71 ·
I had an 1800 VTX here last week and they brought a starter with them because it was tested at the dealer as bad. I put my tester battery on the bike and the starter tested good. When they tested the starter with a weak battery is showed the starter as bad. I put a new battery in it and it started perfect every time and the starter tested good. He went back to the dealer and they retested and the starter read out as good. If a battery is weak the starter will draw very high amps trying to turn over. I would hook a good battery up without your old battery in place and see what it does. The battery may not read bad and can still be shorting in a cell when a load is applied. My 2 cents.

#75 ·
I would still be interested to know where the load test for the starter was done I.E. before the starter relay (between the battery and relay) OR after the starter relay (between the relay and starter).

Perhaps you could request them to clamp their amp meter before the relay and test to see the amperage draw from the starter and then wait 15-20 mins for the battery to recover and then clamp the meter after the relay and test again just to compare the two and see if there is any notable difference that might indicate a dirty/burnt/corroded terminal inside the relay not allowing full current to pass through.

#77 ·
I have an Amp meter that slips over the cable at the starter. When you hit the start button the meter will go to a high reading but it should come right back down to a few amps when spinning. If the reading stays high while cranking the starter is bad. This is dun with a hot battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.