Stalled again what luck! - Page 35 - Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum

» Insurance
» Honda Fury Prices
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #341 (permalink)

Default Fuel

I had this exact same problem and searched the forum for many possible solutions. I took my concerns to a local motorcycle shop and he told me to start with the simplest thing and work my way up. I was ready to replace all kinds of stuff and he said it was probably just bad fuel and told me start there. Sure enough, syphoned out the old stuff, put some new gas in and have not had the same problem since. I was putting the high grade fuel in and he said that was a waste of money. He also made a valid point that the premium fuel is not used as often and sits in the tanks longer, giving it potential to go bad.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #342 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by endres1979 View Post
I had this exact same problem and searched the forum for many possible solutions. I took my concerns to a local motorcycle shop and he told me to start with the simplest thing and work my way up. I was ready to replace all kinds of stuff and he said it was probably just bad fuel and told me start there. Sure enough, syphoned out the old stuff, put some new gas in and have not had the same problem since. I was putting the high grade fuel in and he said that was a waste of money. He also made a valid point that the premium fuel is not used as often and sits in the tanks longer, giving it potential to go bad.
I agree, start with the simplest and work up...that's exactly what I did. I tried everything, change of gas, cleaning tank, filling tank different levels, re-routing the breather tube, testing it out in heat and sitting on side of road many times, had Steveo test his bike out in sweltering heat, checked controls, filtered fuel prior to filling tank, tested it in direct ambient sunlight vs. shaded light, tested it hot, tested it cold, bike would sputter and die when sitting in hot sunlight, would run ok when engine was cooled down completely..had to sit out some pgr missions cause it acted up, spent the whole summer testing.......conclusion, bad fuel pump and crap peeling from inside the pump. Changed the pump and no problems since.

BTW, I pulled my pump out with the rear tire still attached and brought it through the top rather than from side, so no paint scratching....just had to disconnect and move the wiring on the right side of the frame under the seat to have room to pull pump out.

Last edited by woodenhorse; 12-10-2012 at 04:35 PM. Reason: diff way of getting pump out
woodenhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #343 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenhorse View Post
I agree, start with the simplest and work up...that's exactly what I did. I tried everything, change of gas, cleaning tank, filling tank different levels, re-routing the breather tube, testing it out in heat and sitting on side of road many times, had Steveo test his bike out in sweltering heat, checked controls, filtered fuel prior to filling tank, tested it in direct ambient sunlight vs. shaded light, tested it hot, tested it cold, bike would sputter and die when sitting in hot sunlight, would run ok when engine was cooled down completely..had to sit out some pgr missions cause it acted up, spent the whole summer testing.......conclusion, bad fuel pump and crap peeling from inside the pump. Changed the pump and no problems since.

BTW, I pulled my pump out with the rear tire still attached and brought it through the top rather than from side, so no paint scratching....just had to disconnect and move the wiring on the right side of the frame under the seat to have room to pull pump out.
Yep, guess I was one of the lucky ones that didn't have fuel pump problems.

Still have that damn starting problem from time to time, but it's never left me stranded, or even left me sitting by the side of the road for any duration of time.

The one time I just absolutely could not get it to start, I put it in 3rd gear and manually turned the engine over by rolling the bike back and she started right up. Don't know if it was coincidence or if it actually helped because I've only done that once. Since then, it eventually starts when the problem occurs without manually turning the engine.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #344 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
Yep, guess I was one of the lucky ones that didn't have fuel pump problems.

Still have that damn starting problem from time to time, but it's never left me stranded, or even left me sitting by the side of the road for any duration of time.

The one time I just absolutely could not get it to start, I put it in 3rd gear and manually turned the engine over by rolling the bike back and she started right up. Don't know if it was coincidence or if it actually helped because I've only done that once. Since then, it eventually starts when the problem occurs without manually turning the engine.

mine has hard start problem.....don't get a shorai battery, it makes it worse
Old 12-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #345 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenhorse View Post
...conclusion, bad fuel pump and crap peeling from inside the pump. Changed the pump and no problems since.
I'm monitoring this to see if (a) this happens to you, again, Bob, and (b) if it happens to me, at all.

I use ethanol-free gasoline 99% of the time in my bike. I'm wondering if the ethanol-based fuels are causing the sedement issues in the fuel pumps.
... I now have a bad-ass 2013 Stateline.
StPeteAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #346 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPeteAPB View Post
I'm monitoring this to see if (a) this happens to you, again, Bob, and (b) if it happens to me, at all.

I use ethanol-free gasoline 99% of the time in my bike. I'm wondering if the ethanol-based fuels are causing the sedement issues in the fuel pumps.
Could be Alan........been running the heck out of my bike......pipes are blue/black down to the first lower bend I've never had ethanol free in it....I really don't understand why they force that on us.....there is one station near my work that has the ethanol free gas.........more expensive, but may have to give it a go......my bike might go into permanent arrest!!!!!!
Old 12-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #347 (permalink)

I run eth free gas 90 octain 99% of the time.Never had a fuel related problem yet,knock on wood,lol.I beleive some of that white stuff in everyones filters is corn.Corn was made to drink,not burn.

Salty Hog was here.
460brevill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #348 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460brevill View Post
I run eth free gas 90 octain 99% of the time.Never had a fuel related problem yet,knock on wood,lol.I beleive some of that white stuff in everyones filters is corn.Corn was made to drink,not burn.
ROTFLOL....and here I've been eating it instead.............
Old 06-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #349 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011MatteOrange View Post
I couldn't agree more.... lol

I live in Central Florida and in recent weeks its been 95 easily during the 2 and 3pm hours with a heat index of 110 so it's very hot and humid here.

Where my bike sits at work is in direct sun and on freshly paved black asphalt. The asphalt intensifies the heat 10 fold out there. My bike's surface is easily well over 100 out in the parking lot and I've never experienced anything a couple of you are with the stalling and sputtering.

I rode down to Lake Okeechobee a couple weeks ago and we passed a couple banks with digital thermometers outside and one said 100 even and the other said 101 and my bike was running normal.

I think we have a few peeps here with a common part beginning to fail. symptoms all are to close to one another and the thought of a fuel pump going bad is not outlandish. It's just like any other electrical motor. It can work fine while it's cold but once it heats up it begins to fall out.

Does anyone know how much the fuel pump for our Fury is anyway? I might pick up a spare.
I have the same bike right down to color: purchased September 28 2012; have driven almost everyday living in Rio Rancho NM. First problem i had was a morning at 7 degrees. Went to dealer and was told that Honda switch inline filter to flat bottom verses cone; which explains why when tank is no where near empty you can bounce against the kick stand and restart and go sometimes days some times miles.

Beginning to think this is a design flaw; problem is yesterday after only 9000 miles my bike stalled twice during non- aggressive left turns forcing me to drop my bike twice in one day - drop or crunch - still waiting for recall order.....
piannone242@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #350 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by piannone242@gmail.com View Post
I have the same bike right down to color: purchased September 28 2012; have driven almost everyday living in Rio Rancho NM. First problem i had was a morning at 7 degrees. Went to dealer and was told that Honda switch inline filter to flat bottom verses cone; which explains why when tank is no where near empty you can bounce against the kick stand and restart and go sometimes days some times miles.

Beginning to think this is a design flaw; problem is yesterday after only 9000 miles my bike stalled twice during non- aggressive left turns forcing me to drop my bike twice in one day - drop or crunch - still waiting for recall order.....
Honda service bulletin # 71
If I rem correctly .
Replace filter if customer complains !

Also

http://www.furyforums.com/forum/show...602#post393602

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
DaveRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement