Clutch relief mod - Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Clutch relief mod

Well i did glens vtx clutch relief mod tonight. Wow what a difference. I always thought the clutch pull was stiffer compared to my buddys raider and my one buddys victory vegas. So I came upon Glenns VTX garage and for $53 the kit includes tools and a bracket to make the clutch pull 50% easier. I was skyptical but what did I have to lose so I did it. So it took about 1 hr very easy mod with great instructions and now that clutch pull is much easier than before. So money well spent.
835 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:54 AM
MGD

I installed the same kit, and it makes the bike feel that much more refined.

You can send glen the tools back for a $10.00 credit too.
WI_Hedgehog likes this.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:06 AM

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:45 AM

I'm wondering how many people have dealt with Gar's issue that he mentioned in the thread and had to modify the CPR bracket. I'm thinking about ordering one of these as I have A LOT of stop and go traffic I have to deal with. Then again, I'm running an aftermarket clutch and I had to make a significant adjustment at the engine case jam nuts for the new clutch...so I guess my scenario would be completely unique.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krashDH View Post
I'm wondering how many people have dealt with Gar's issue that he mentioned in the thread and had to modify the CPR bracket. I'm thinking about ordering one of these as I have A LOT of stop and go traffic I have to deal with. Then again, I'm running an aftermarket clutch and I had to make a significant adjustment at the engine case jam nuts for the new clutch...so I guess my scenario would be completely unique.
Apart from Gar, no ones ever mentioned having a problem after years of use. I'm going on probably five years now, and no sign of wear on my cable, or gear munching.

Are you still using the stock gear lever on top of the clutch case? If so, the mod will most likely work for you too.

post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Apart from Gar, no ones ever mentioned having a problem after years of use. I'm going on probably five years now, and no sign of wear on my cable, or gear munching.

Are you still using the stock gear lever on top of the clutch case? If so, the mod will most likely work for you too.
Thanks Kiwi. The only thing I was really worried about was any differences in the clutch pack width between stock and the Barnett clutch pack since I went to an aftermarket set-up. I'm using the OEM lever. I just had to make a pretty sizeable adjustment down at the case with the new clutch. I don't suspect I'll have any issues, will probably order it up
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krashDH View Post
Thanks Kiwi. The only thing I was really worried about was any differences in the clutch pack width between stock and the Barnett clutch pack since I went to an aftermarket set-up. I'm using the OEM lever. I just had to make a pretty sizeable adjustment down at the case with the new clutch. I don't suspect I'll have any issues, will probably order it up
Yeah, all Glenn's mod is, is a longer lever than the stock. It still 'travels' the same distance as the stock lever to engage/disengage the clutch, but because it's longer it requires less force at the hand lever. So as long as you're stock clutch case lever is engaging/disengaging your Barnett pack correctly, I can't see why glenn's lever wouldn't either.
WI_Hedgehog likes this.

post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:24 PM

[QUOTE=Kiwi;1485633]Yeah, all Glenn's mod is, is a longer lever than the stock. It still 'travels' the same distance as the stock lever to engage/disengage the clutch./QUOTE]

With leverage you can't win both ways. Allthough cable travel remains the same, in this mod you will loose some travel in the rotation of the clutch actuator shaft. Carefull adjustment is very important to get full release of the clutch.
krashDH and WI_Hedgehog like this.

Blue 2010. #1 Euro Re-flashed ECU. Oil temp & pressure gauges. J & H on stock muffler. 240 Metz on 7.75" rim. Own aircleaner. Integrated tail/brake/indicator light. No pair valve. Sort of T-mod. Restyled seat. Rad rad cover. Down under rear brake.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8R View Post
Quote:
Yeah, all Glenn's mod is, is a longer lever than the stock. It still 'travels' the same distance as the stock lever to engage/disengage the clutch.
With leverage you can't win both ways. Allthough cable travel remains the same, in this mod you will loose some travel in the rotation of the clutch actuator shaft. Carefull adjustment is very important to get full release of the clutch.
This is a great point. With this adapter you will not be pushing the pressure plate out as far as with the stock set-up. Luckily it's pretty easy to tell where the pressure plate starts coming in contact with the friction plates/disks...your bike will start moving at this point. Our stock pull pushes that pressure plate well beyond minimal disengagement. Even with Glen's mod it will go beyond "barely disengaging" but it's good practice to keep an eye on the clutch as it wears...if the bike starts to creep with the lever pulled all the way in it will warrant and adjustment, and if you can't get there with an adjustment, a new clutch pack

Edit; this mod also would cause engagement to be closer to the bar than stock
AV8R and WI_Hedgehog like this.

Last edited by krashDH; 04-19-2017 at 01:02 PM.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 01:08 PM

Garage
[quote=AV8R;1485649]
Quote:
Yeah, all Glenn's mod is, is a longer lever than the stock. It still 'travels' the same distance as the stock lever to engage/disengage the clutch./QUOTE]

I swear, I did pass high school physics at one point in my life...
Goat, AV8R, TurcoLoco and 1 others like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode