Lost PCV connection to Throttle Position Sensor - Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Lost PCV connection to Throttle Position Sensor

After my recent 8k mile service my bike was running like crap. Increased popping on decel and general loss of power. Even died on me in 5th gear as I was riding from Nashville to Robbinsville. This really bothered me because I was just starting into my vacation and looking forward to some great riding and didn’t want to spit and sputter my way around the mountains.

Skipping ahead. The problem turned out to be a wire tap connector that the PCV kit uses to hook up to the Throttle Position Sensor but I didn’t know that yet. These wire taps tend to fail over time. They look something like this:

So we’re having breakfast at the Microtel on day 1 and I really don’t want to ride the tail of the dragon with a crippled bike so and I asked one of the hotel girls if there was a motorcycle mechanic in town. She gave me a flyer for Wheeler’s Cycle Shop. I called and Ken Wheeler said “come on down”. I told my buddies to meet me down there and I took off.

Within 15 minutes, Ken had hooked up his laptop to my Power Commander, saw that I was getting no signal from the throttle position sensor, removed the wire tap, soldered the PCV wire to the TPS wire and my bike was hauling ass again. Cost to me: $30.

By the time my buddies showed up I was ready to go so no time was lost. I thanked Ken profusely for seeing me quickly with no notice. He said “that’s what we do”. Big praise for Wheeler’s Cycle Shop at Deals Gap!!!! Big praise! The man is a wizard. He even tweaked my PCV map. His dyno runs are ridiculously cheap so if you want to tune your PCV and you’re planning a trip to the dragon, drop your bike in the evening and let him do his magic.

Check out these videos of Ken. The first is an ad for his shop. The second is Ken doing a dyno run on a sport bike.

2010 Black ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Here's an article detailing the problems with these wire taps/vampire clips.

The Problem with Wire-Tap Connectors Bareass Choppers Tech Pages

Solder and heat shrink your connections - you won't be sorry.

2010 Black ABS
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 06:33 PM

Every now and then in this otherwise incompetent world you run into somebody who's REALLY sharp; most arn't. Sounds like you lucked-out and found one of the rare breed in Ken Wheeler.

Cheers

The entirety of the road of Human Evolution is littered with examples that failed. Now, you're all that's left. Scary, isn't it?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Richard1
Glad to hear it was a simple fix. I am sure my dealer would have been able to charge me a lot more than $30 for a fix like that.

Judge, Jury & Bulldozer
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 12:23 PM

I almost always trust the "mom and Pop" shop in my county more than I do my honda dealer.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

I've always had better luck with the small shops too. The Honda dealer that did my 8k service left the nut off my gas tank bolt, didn't change the air filter (not sure that's part of the 8k) and gave me the bike back with it running like crap.

2010 Black ABS
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 03:36 PM

Sorry you had that problem. This is one of the reasons we switched over to the Posi-lock. These will not have that issue. Glad Ken got it sorted for you.

Dynojet Research
Technical Support Team
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynojetResearch View Post
Sorry you had that problem. This is one of the reasons we switched over to the Posi-lock. These will not have that issue. Glad Ken got it sorted for you.
No worries. Glad you switched.

I love the PCV. Next time I'm at Deal's Gap, I'll have Ken do a full dyno tune on it.

2010 Black ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode