Darkside anyone? - Page 3 - Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum

» Insurance
» Honda Fury Prices
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #21 (permalink)

Sitting on top of the moutain.

1300VTwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #22 (permalink)

I did the Avon Cobra 240-40-18 has to be the cobra on the stock rim. I run about 35 pounds because it's a little bouncy. Also you have to use an automatic tire machine. We couldn't do it on a manual machine.
Darkside anyone?-imageuploadedbymo-free1353813363.684074.jpgMake sure to take your time to balance tire and rim. The Honda dealership in Rockwall, Texas put 3 ounces of sticky weights on side of my rim. They didn't line up the tire and rim first. They are going to rebalance after I am done polishing out the aluminum and should be able to clamp on a one ounce weight in the center of the wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

Look up fury videos on youtube as drivercam
SECUREST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffyspop View Post
just don't understand how they stick in the twisties since they are basically flat tires and not rounded. Also the rounded motorcycle tire has the treads on the sides to keep you stable in the turns. Apparently they do work, but still don't understand how ...
I researched this for several months before taking the dive. I've seen video of the tire in the curves and what actually happens is the tire leaves a lot more thread in contact with the road that you would think. I don't know if it is due to speed, weight or what, but in the curves, the edge of the CT will flatten out leaving almost as much thread in contact with the road as riding straight, that translates to more tire contact with the road that a MT. Again, I don't understand all of this but I can testify from personal experience that when other bikes behind me were slipping on the road after a light drizzle I was sticking solid with no slippage at all. I wasn't pushing it and just riding. I couldn't figure out why everyone was falling back. They told me they were slipping on the road at that speed. Bottom line, I'll put a CT up against a MT any day of the week.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #24 (permalink)

Default rounder 240/40 more tread on road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onei View Post
I researched this for several months before taking the dive. I've seen video of the tire in the curves and what actually happens is the tire leaves a lot more thread in contact with the road that you would think. I don't know if it is due to speed, weight or what, but in the curves, the edge of the CT will flatten out leaving almost as much thread in contact with the road as riding straight, that translates to more tire contact with the road that a MT. Again, I don't understand all of this but I can testify from personal experience that when other bikes behind me were slipping on the road after a light drizzle I was sticking solid with no slippage at all. I wasn't pushing it and just riding. I couldn't figure out why everyone was falling back. They told me they were slipping on the road at that speed. Bottom line, I'll put a CT up against a MT any day of the week.

I noticed that my tire is a little wider, but the big difference is that it is rounder. There is more tread up the sidewall for turns. Wish you were here to try it!

Look up fury videos on youtube as drivercam
SECUREST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:56 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECUREST View Post
IMake sure to take your time to balance tire and rim.
Have you considered using dynabeads?

Old 12-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

results of going darkside:
CAR TIRES ARE FOR CARS
Attachment 15570
PAFURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #27 (permalink)

Couldn't find a tire to fit my Sabre.
170/80-15
180/75-15
Oh well, would've been nice.

2Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1300VTwin View Post
I have this picture from when I put the tire on 9/13/11.

I running a General G-Max 215/45 ZR 18. Rides like a champ. Really doesn't look any different with 14000 miles on it either. I will try and take some new pics tomorrow.
What happens when you are on a sharp turn? Does the tire flatten out or just sit up on the corner?
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:12 PM   #29 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Dave Maher

There's a lot of great information in this thread that I've never thought about before. Never thought about a car tire used on a bike before but after reading some of the logical posts it seems to make sense. Good read and nice thread, Thanks!
Old 12-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDESTROYER View Post
What happens when you are on a sharp turn? Does the tire flatten out or just sit up on the corner?
My experience is that you still are on half the tire tread of the CT. The sidewall compresses so that you don't actually end up on the edge of the tire. All my wear is on the tread surface. I will take picture tonight of my tire. It has about 15,000 to 16,000 miles on it. The tread wear is even across the tire and I like to corner. The bottom of my pipes and pegs are all most scrapped off.
1300VTwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement