8* trees problem? - Page 2 - Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum
 
 


» Insurance
» Honda Fury Prices
» Sponsors
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 05:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Jag30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SW NY
Posts: 2,140
Default

Make sure you use a waterproof grease.
__________________
Jag30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
460brevill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Farmville Va.
Posts: 7,770
Default

take that stupid lock off and weld it closed.
__________________

Salty Hog was here.
460brevill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Seņor Gar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: West End of the 49th 2010-ABS-Fury (US) Septuagenarian Rider
Posts: 2,471
Send a message via Skype™ to Seņor Gar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460brevill View Post
take that stupid lock off and weld it closed.
Never gave it much thought Bill, don't know where the key is, never tried it anyway, but I do ride in the rain . Have you seen much damage to lower head pipe bearings from water creeping in . Thinking I should take your advice and shut the door .
__________________
*V-Mod * Factory X Forwards * Bagger Convertible
Seņor Gar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
EvoMotors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hallandale Beach, Florida
Posts: 1,381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Gar View Post
Never gave it much thought Bill, don't know where the key is, never tried it anyway, but I do ride in the rain . Have you seen much damage to lower head pipe bearings from water creeping in . Thinking I should take your advice and shut the door .
Maybe you should, the bearing I removed is so rusty that I could not turn it by hand.
EvoMotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
joefury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pompano Beach
Posts: 718
Default

seems strange? how would the grease the bearing were packed in come off? we had a pretty cool couple of weeks here in South florida so hummidity was that bad either?

interesting how they got that rusty if they were good quality?
__________________
No rest for the WICKED
joefury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Clueless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 2,392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoMotors View Post
You are not going to believe what I found after disasembling the trees. Water damage to the lower bearing! The only place where water could get in inside the neck is the stupid lock. Otherwise both seals, bearings and races shows no indication of any mechanical damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoMotors View Post
Maybe you should, the bearing I removed is so rusty that I could not turn it by hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefury View Post
seems strange? how would the grease the bearing were packed in come off? we had a pretty cool couple of weeks here in South florida so hummidity was that bad either?

interesting how they got that rusty if they were good quality?
IMO if you followed the video that I saw, the bearings were not properly greased/installed in the first place . Plus, with the stock stem, the bearing has to be driven on or pressed on, (tighter seal and grease on it also) the aftermarket (video again) just presses in by hand (finger) to the lower tree and then the bolt is inserted, so the seal probably isn't sealing anything. The video I saw (I just watched it again tonight) the lower bearing was installed ungreased, and the narrator said "a light coating of grease" when he put in the upper, I wasn't sure if he meant both or not.
When I install bearings, I do a dozen or so a year, I pack the bearings like I do wheel bearings, I know many people say not to, but I have seen the bearings Honda installs, others have done, and the ones I have done after 40-50 K miles. I will keep doing them like this. I also make sure there is grease on the stem at and on the seals.
Again just my opinion, you all can install them however you want, but if I were in EvoMotors position, there would be ALOT more grease in there than there is now, I would also Google "install neck bearings" and check out some other videos.
Clueless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
EvoMotors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hallandale Beach, Florida
Posts: 1,381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
IMO if you followed the video that I saw, the bearings were not properly greased/installed in the first place . Plus, with the stock stem, the bearing has to be driven on or pressed on, (tighter seal and grease on it also) the aftermarket (video again) just presses in by hand (finger) to the lower tree and then the bolt is inserted, so the seal probably isn't sealing anything. The video I saw (I just watched it again tonight) the lower bearing was installed ungreased, and the narrator said "a light coating of grease" when he put in the upper, I wasn't sure if he meant both or not.
When I install bearings, I do a dozen or so a year, I pack the bearings like I do wheel bearings, I know many people say not to, but I have seen the bearings Honda installs, others have done, and the ones I have done after 40-50 K miles. I will keep doing them like this. I also make sure there is grease on the stem at and on the seals.
Again just my opinion, you all can install them however you want, but if I were in EvoMotors position, there would be ALOT more grease in there than there is now, I would also Google "install neck bearings" and check out some other videos.
I never had the video of of the bearings. And I have the 8* trees with the provided stem bolt.
EvoMotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
Dave Maher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,760
Send a message via AIM to Dave Maher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
IMO if you followed the video that I saw, the bearings were not properly greased/installed in the first place . Plus, with the stock stem, the bearing has to be driven on or pressed on, (tighter seal and grease on it also) the aftermarket (video again) just presses in by hand (finger) to the lower tree and then the bolt is inserted, so the seal probably isn't sealing anything. The video I saw (I just watched it again tonight) the lower bearing was installed ungreased, and the narrator said "a light coating of grease" when he put in the upper, I wasn't sure if he meant both or not.
When I install bearings, I do a dozen or so a year, I pack the bearings like I do wheel bearings, I know many people say not to, but I have seen the bearings Honda installs, others have done, and the ones I have done after 40-50 K miles. I will keep doing them like this. I also make sure there is grease on the stem at and on the seals.
Again just my opinion, you all can install them however you want, but if I were in EvoMotors position, there would be ALOT more grease in there than there is now, I would also Google "install neck bearings" and check out some other videos.
It's been a while since I installed my tree's but I do remember questioning the instructions given greasing the bearings on install. Being an ex car mechanic I don't ever remember not greasing any bearing by hand packing them with grease before install so I just packed them with grease as I would any other bearing. If I remember correctly I also had a slight issue getting the race to seat properly.
__________________
Life is good!
Dave Maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Seņor Gar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: West End of the 49th 2010-ABS-Fury (US) Septuagenarian Rider
Posts: 2,471
Send a message via Skype™ to Seņor Gar
Thumbs up Needs More Greese

__________________
*V-Mod * Factory X Forwards * Bagger Convertible
Seņor Gar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:12 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member

 
RedspawnSilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 6,173
Default

Word to the wise... yes, grease is good... don't over tighten though... did this with mine and it sucked balls... quick fix though.
__________________

Proving the "bell" doesn't work 1 mile at a time since June 22nd 2009... 36k miles so far...
March 2010 FOTM<<<
RedspawnSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
© FuryForums.com
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum