Honda Fury Forums: banner

Fury gas mileage/range questions

38K views 42 replies 27 participants last post by  Adamhancock82 
#1 ·
Test rode a fury today, mistake. Now I really really want one. One major hesitation though... I currently have a Yamaha Warrior and it's only real flaw is a tiny gas tank. I can only go about 120 miles between fill ups. Out here in WA state gas stations can be 50-60 miles apart which means you basically have to stop at every gas station - total buzz kill. It looks like the fury will have the same draw back, one review I read put gas mileage at +/-40mph and total range about 137. To add insult to injury, the fury also suffers no fuel gauge (same as my warrior). I'm new to this forum so I appologize if this has been asked already, has anyone seen an enlarged tank for the fury or perhaps know someone who is very good at doing something like that?

Thanks.

#3 ·
I've been consistently getting 46 mpg on my Fury, which places me at about 140 miles when I fill up. I let the "low fuel" light come on and just ride until I'm right at 140 and I'm always good. Frankly, 140 miles is probably about 2 hours of straight riding. After about 2 hours I like to take a break anyway, so it works well for me. Plus, I don't really want to mess with the tank-to-from proportions.

#14 ·
:D No. I like to stop about then, too. I have been getting between 50-55 miles per gallon. I do try to stop at stations I know don't use over the minimum Ethanol (E10), but they are hard to find. That stuff lowers gas milage, hurts the engine and is more expensive to produce...but the GOVERNMENT (don't get me started :() says it is good for us...:eek:

#8 · (Edited)
Last 4 tanks with 87 *EDIT* octane got me 130 miles to the low fuel light and 2.7 gallons.

Last tank (today) with 93 *EDIT* Ultra got me 131 on 2.7 gallons.

Certainly no benefits to running the higher octane with respect to mileage. The bike runs fine on the 87 *EDIT* with no pinging.

Cleaner burn with less carbon build up with the higher octane? Can't answer that but I am doubtful.

Anybody think running higher octane is beneficial (other than for the gas stations)?

#12 ·
WOW!?

:confused:I dont really see the big deal... if I get 130 vs 165, it's still a sweet ride! I'm not riding to make good time, I'm having a good time riding!:cool:

I've been putting 89 in since early May, and someone told me that I should use 93...
Not to be dramatic, but WOW!!! It's a brand new bike! Rides smoother and I have about 10 more mph I get out of each gear.

The lack of acceleration was my only complaint with this bike due to the inability to create a safe cushion when passing vehichles... but now i'm good to GO!

#13 ·
I pulled in to work today with 134 miles on the trip meter and my reserve light still hasn't came on.

#22 ·
Unless you've advanced your ignition timing or increased the compression ratio there's really no benefit to using higher octane. It's purpose is to resist premature detonation in the combustion chamber. The compression ratio stays the same no matter what octane you use the fury is 9.6:1 if I'm not wrong and will run perfectly on 87.

#27 ·
What is the best way to check if you are running rich?
I am averaging 37 mpg.

#30 ·
That's why I'm thinking something is off. I dont go crazy accelerating and on the highway, about 12 miles of my 20 mile commute, I try to hold 70-75.

#33 ·
For those who mod this only takes one hour ...

One way to accurately determine if your engine is as well tuned as when it left the factory is to fill you tank to the base of the filler neck at a gas station next to a free flowing highway. Then ride your Fury at a steady 60 mph for 25 miles, turn around, return to the same gas station and refill. Your tank should take one gallon. That would be 50 mpg. Although you may get better you should not get worse if you have a good tune.

#34 ·
I did not get a chance to pull the spark plugs this weekend, but will tonight.
I did do an oil change, and while looking at the manual/maintenance schedule I did see that the plugs are due to be replaced.

Is there a "better" plug to get or is the Honda recommendation the best choice?

I just figure if I am replacing them anyway, might as well upgrade if I can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.