50 MPG !!!! - Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

50 MPG !!!!

Nooooo Not a misprint.

Prior to my engine work, I got between 39 - 42 MPG.....Never higher than 42, closer to "40ish" consistently. After the Pistons/Cams....eng mod, I run 91 octane because of the compression ration, I'm getting better mileage....GO Figure. My first fill-up (after the break-in period) was 45.....I thought oops....mistake......today I rode almost 300 miles......the first tank today yielded a number of 47.....I thought.....WTF.........rode until I had 105 on the odometer, filled up and OMG.......exactly 50 MPG.....and I wasn't babying 'her' either.....did quite a few WOT's and got between 90-95 MPH more than once....Heh Heh......

Just an FYI for all you engine engineers out there......
James Pope likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 11:02 PM

Thats cool. Mine gets 47 every single tank. It's freaky.
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 11:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to NMUCat Send a message via MSN to NMUCat
I have gotten 49 the last three tanks.

That is odd that with the work your getting better mileage than before and you got more power. Not what one would think

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyFarris View Post
.......OMG.......exactly 50 MPG.....and I wasn't babying 'her' either.....did quite a few WOT's and got between 90-95 MPH more than once....Heh Heh......

Just an FYI for all you engine engineers out there......
Way to go Jimmy! While I'm impressed, I'm not totally surprised. The engine mods you did obviously increased the efficiency of your engine, i.e., you're making more power per unit displacement on less fuel. Since the stock Fury is in such a mild state of tune to begin with, the changes you made, mainly the increase in compression ratio, could be expected to bring it closer to optimal efficiency. And, I suspect, you did it without giving away anything in dependability, which is often the case. The only downside is, now you have to run the more-expensive higher-octane fuel; not a major consideration. Congratulations! And you did it first!

Cheers

The entirety of the road of Human Evolution is littered with examples that failed. Now, you're all that's left. Scary, isn't it?
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Richard1
Jimmy, thatís a great added bonus. I suspect BarFury is right on the analysis. Big deal with running high octane, that is only about .75 cents per fill up, maybe $30-$40 per riding season. Are you expecting any better performance as the engine breaks in more?

Judge, Jury & Bulldozer
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Dave Maher
Sounds like you have your bike tuned perfectly now. I've never checked the milage and will have to take a look now. What is your oil temp now? Thanks
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Richard, I think she's completely broke in now....nearly 1,000 miles on the mod....the only change yet next week is installing the power commander and ditching the fuggin' controller....the power commander has many more adjustments for the fuel/air ratio....the 'tech' who tuned her, said it won't give me more power, just better ratio throughout all regimes of operations.

Dave, I'm gonna' order the oil temp gauge/dipstick today......will advise when it's in and operating.
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 09:57 AM

thats weird. the only time i dont get at least 47-48 is in the winter, im guessing because of the longer warm ups and it takes longer for the engine to get to normal operating temp. during the summer my light never comes on before 125 miles, but the best ive got is 51 mpg. the last week i opened it up to 80-90 mph numerous times on a tank of gas and when i stopped for fuel at 120 miles the pump still showed i had 1 gallon in the tank i have pipes and intake and no aftermarket computer...
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

ogwutang....That's very interesting.....Thanks for sharing
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 11:07 AM

now during the winter when im riding in 20-30 degree temps, my light usually comes on around 95 miles or so. it sux. hell, my reserve on my 88 intruder 750 wont come on till around 100 miles or so, and the carbs need to be synched lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode