blinker/brake light issue - Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

blinker/brake light issue

Im brand new here, I just installed an "eliminator" light bar for the rear brake/blinker light...unfortunately I have (I think) tripped a relay...the brake light looks as if it constantly on (in brake active) and the blinker turns off when you flip the switch when you reset the blinker the "running light" portion comes back on...I have the factory blinkers in the front so that's how I know the light actions.

Again...Im assuming I messed up a relay any help would be great...its my daily driver so its a bit pressing.

Thanks
James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 08:37 PM

When you say tripped a relay are you talking about blowing a fuse? If thats the case then no you haven't. If you had no functions of the brake light circuit would work as it would not have any power. From what you describe i think its just wired wrong.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

I would think that the case as well...except the blinkers behave the same even if I unhook it all

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

I get the feeling the relay that causes the blink is stuck in a given position...I'm not sure as I am certainly NOT versed in electrical items of any thing much less this bike...but the blinker (front) remaining off and not cycling makes my little pea brain think the relay that controls blink is stuck...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 09:40 PM

Do you have a bad bulb?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

im not sure...is there a separate filament that operates the blink as opposed to the "running" light portion...the running light portion works fine...when I engage the blinker the light goes our, for either the right or left side...which ever blinker I am fiddling with...once I disengage the blinker the running light portion comes back on.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 10:37 PM

Do you have LED bulbs in the front turn signals?

The factory turn signal flasher will not flash with LED lights front and rear... If the bulbs up front are not LED and the rear lights are wired correctly then the turn signal should flash twice as fast as normal, it is designed to do this to let you know that you have a bulb out, since LED lights draw a fraction of the amperage of a standard filament bulb the flasher can't detect the LED bulb.

As far as the brake light being stuck on bright (brakes applied) instead of dim (parking/running lights) that will all depend on the light you bought and how you wired it. If the light only has 2 wires for the red portion then it will need 2 diodes and a resistor to give it the dual action that you need.
1300VTwin likes this.

(Grandmaster of the Re-Flash Posse)
High Performance ECU Reflash Thread

Last edited by Kbuskill; 12-08-2015 at 10:40 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 10:42 PM

You need to get an electronic turn signal relay to replace your factory turn signal relay that is designed to operate incandescent bulbs.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

I do not have LED lighs up front, I have the factory turn/running lights, the brake light has a single red, a single black, a single yellow(right turn), and a single blue(left turn)...and thats it. I have the tail/brake hooked up to the brown and green/yellow, I have the black on green(if I recall correctly, I'm not currently looking at it)the yellow, (from the light) being the right turn signal I have to connected where the factory "blue" connector is located (dont recall the wire color, just the factory connection color) and the blue from the light I have connected to the factory "orange" connector.

So the tail light itself has only 4 wires...Red, Black, Yellow, Blue.

Last edited by gonzo454; 12-09-2015 at 07:15 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo454 View Post
I do not have LED lighs up front, I have the factory turn/running lights, the brake light has a single red, a single black, a single yellow(right turn), and a single blue(left turn)...and thats it. I have the tail/brake hooked up to the brown and green/yellow, I have the black on green(if I recall correctly, I'm not currently looking at it)the yellow, (from the light) being the right turn signal I have to connected where the factory "blue" connector is located (dont recall the wire color, just the factory connection color) and the blue from the light I have connected to the factory "orange" connector.

So the tail light itself has only 4 wires...Red, Black, Yellow, Blue.
You need to build one of these : Dual Circuit Element « Bareass Choppers Motorcycle Tech Pages

Or buy one like this : Turn Signal Dual Element Circuits from Radiantz

That will take care of your brake light being stuck on full brightness.

Then go down to your local parts store and get an LED compatible flasher relay, it will probably say LED 2-6 lamps printed on the flasher, for around $12-$15.

Or buy 1 that will plug into your stock plug here: Honda Cruiser Motorcycle LED Turn Signal Flasher Relay

And that should solve your flashing issue.

One question, when you say that you attached the yellow or blue wires from the light to the blue or orange turn signal connectors on the bike I assume you mean just 1 wire from each connector and not both wires in each connector as that would create a direct short to ground and blow your fuse.

So you should hook the yellow from the LED light to the light blue of the bike and the blue from your LED light to the Orange on the bike but don't use the green(ground) wires from the turn signals.

Hope this helps to get you going.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rps20151209_093408_345.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	136986  

(Grandmaster of the Re-Flash Posse)
High Performance ECU Reflash Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode