high RPM loss of power - Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum

» Insurance
» Honda Fury Prices
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 08:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default high RPM loss of power

I recently changed the clutch lever and of course had to loosen the cable to get the lever on. Taking the bike for a ride, I notice loss of power at high RPM's and its almost like clutch is slipping. There is some slack in the cable. I think I may need to take it to dealer to get clutch cable adjusted to factory tolerances- if this truly is the issue. Anyone on the forum with more experience have any other suggestions why there is a loss of power before I head to the dealer. thank you.
eva350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2011, 08:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to MyFuryRide

tighten up the cable to were there in just a hair of wiggle at the lever. kury levers?
Sumo-X ALS, MuthaFockinRake, VTX-treme 10*Trees w/3" fork extentions w/ fat fork tubes, polished wheels, T-Mod, lowered f/fender, MFR exhaust, LED turn mirrors, ghost flames byPAINTER , RAW LED t-light, 3* raked frame
MyFuryRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva350 View Post
I recently changed the clutch lever and of course had to loosen the cable to get the lever on. Taking the bike for a ride, I notice loss of power at high RPM's and its almost like clutch is slipping. There is some slack in the cable. I think I may need to take it to dealer to get clutch cable adjusted to factory tolerances- if this truly is the issue. Anyone on the forum with more experience have any other suggestions why there is a loss of power before I head to the dealer. thank you.
Where did you loosen up the cable? At the lever or down towards the engine?

As long as there is play - any bit of play - in the clutch hand lever, you're fully engage with your clutch UNLESS there is something obstructing the transmission-based lever (the other end of the cable) from returning to its full resting position.
StPeteAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

will try it to where there is just a little wiggle. Went with the Cannella customs levers. Match my assassin (Spike) grips better
Old 06-16-2011, 09:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFuryRide View Post
tighten up the cable to were there in just a hair of wiggle at the lever. kury levers?
will try it to where there is just a little wiggle. Went with the Cannella customs levers. Match my assassin (Spike) grips better
Old 06-16-2011, 09:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPeteAPB View Post
Where did you loosen up the cable? At the lever or down towards the engine?

As long as there is play - any bit of play - in the clutch hand lever, you're fully engage with your clutch UNLESS there is something obstructing the transmission-based lever (the other end of the cable) from returning to its full resting position.
I loosened it up at the cable, nothing near the engine. I'll try adjusting it tonight where there is a little play. Hopefully that is it. I've only done about 1000 miles so unlikely clutch is already worn. thanks for the help.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

You need a little free-play down at the engine-lever, then take out most of the rest of the slack at the handle-bar lever. I wouldn't ride it much 'til you get it properly adjusted, or you'll burn-up your clutch-plates (read $$$$). My two-bits............

Cheers
Old 06-20-2011, 10:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

ok, finally had time to readjust the clutch cable and put in some free-play. AT higher rps, the power is back. Its harder to put the gear in Neutral now though, but power is back, - I just hope I did not burn the clutch plate or ruin anything. I probably rode for 100 miles or so with the clutch cable tight. Oh well- live & learn.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva350 View Post
ok, finally had time to readjust the clutch cable and put in some free-play. AT higher rps, the power is back. Its harder to put the gear in Neutral now though, but power is back, - I just hope I did not burn the clutch plate or ruin anything. I probably rode for 100 miles or so with the clutch cable tight. Oh well- live & learn.

Read the owners manual and see that there just needs to be a little play, not a lot.

If you're having a hard time getting her into Neutral, you're probably too loose, now. Which means, you're not completely disengaging the clutch when you shift - a different issue. Find that sweet spot. That knob on the hand lever is for precision adjusting ... utilize it to tweak the play.

Let me know if you need more assistance.
StPeteAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I seriously doubt that you messed anything up, I just think you need to keep adjusting the cable to get it back to where it was, I know when I changed mine I had to loosen the cable some and then readjust them once I got the levers on, but your right with not riding it until you get that fixed, one it's a safety issue, and two your going to end up wearing something out like the clutch.

Mods: Morton Inferno And STG 2 into 1 Exhaust,Painted Engine,PowderCoated Rims,Kury Skull Shift pegs,Foot Pegs,Passenger Pegs,Danny Gray Seat,Ginz Sissybar,STG Fork Covers,Freedom T-Mod, PowderCoated Rims,Irate Skull Grill, MFR +3 Forwards
X_KIOWA_X is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement