high RPM loss of power - Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
eva350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 124
high RPM loss of power

I recently changed the clutch lever and of course had to loosen the cable to get the lever on. Taking the bike for a ride, I notice loss of power at high RPM's and its almost like clutch is slipping. There is some slack in the cable. I think I may need to take it to dealer to get clutch cable adjusted to factory tolerances- if this truly is the issue. Anyone on the forum with more experience have any other suggestions why there is a loss of power before I head to the dealer. thank you.
eva350 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 08:14 AM
Senior Member
 
MyFuryRide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 4,148
Send a message via AIM to MyFuryRide
tighten up the cable to were there in just a hair of wiggle at the lever. kury levers?

Sumo-X ALS, MuthaFockinRake, VTX-treme 10*Trees w/3" fork extentions w/ fat fork tubes, polished wheels, T-Mod, lowered f/fender, MFR exhaust, LED turn mirrors, ghost flames byPAINTER , RAW LED t-light, 3* raked frame
MyFuryRide is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 08:33 AM
Lifetime Member
 
StPeteAPB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St Pete, FL
Posts: 5,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva350 View Post
I recently changed the clutch lever and of course had to loosen the cable to get the lever on. Taking the bike for a ride, I notice loss of power at high RPM's and its almost like clutch is slipping. There is some slack in the cable. I think I may need to take it to dealer to get clutch cable adjusted to factory tolerances- if this truly is the issue. Anyone on the forum with more experience have any other suggestions why there is a loss of power before I head to the dealer. thank you.
Where did you loosen up the cable? At the lever or down towards the engine?

As long as there is play - any bit of play - in the clutch hand lever, you're fully engage with your clutch UNLESS there is something obstructing the transmission-based lever (the other end of the cable) from returning to its full resting position.
StPeteAPB is offline  
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
eva350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 124
will try it to where there is just a little wiggle. Went with the Cannella customs levers. Match my assassin (Spike) grips better
eva350 is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
eva350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFuryRide View Post
tighten up the cable to were there in just a hair of wiggle at the lever. kury levers?
will try it to where there is just a little wiggle. Went with the Cannella customs levers. Match my assassin (Spike) grips better
eva350 is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
eva350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPeteAPB View Post
Where did you loosen up the cable? At the lever or down towards the engine?

As long as there is play - any bit of play - in the clutch hand lever, you're fully engage with your clutch UNLESS there is something obstructing the transmission-based lever (the other end of the cable) from returning to its full resting position.
I loosened it up at the cable, nothing near the engine. I'll try adjusting it tonight where there is a little play. Hopefully that is it. I've only done about 1000 miles so unlikely clutch is already worn. thanks for the help.
eva350 is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 10:00 AM
Senior Member
 
BarFury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Nevada
Posts: 2,153
You need a little free-play down at the engine-lever, then take out most of the rest of the slack at the handle-bar lever. I wouldn't ride it much 'til you get it properly adjusted, or you'll burn-up your clutch-plates (read $$$$). My two-bits............

Cheers

The entirety of the road of Human Evolution is littered with examples that failed. Now, you're all that's left. Scary, isn't it?
BarFury is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
eva350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 124
ok, finally had time to readjust the clutch cable and put in some free-play. AT higher rps, the power is back. Its harder to put the gear in Neutral now though, but power is back, - I just hope I did not burn the clutch plate or ruin anything. I probably rode for 100 miles or so with the clutch cable tight. Oh well- live & learn.
eva350 is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 11:52 AM
Lifetime Member
 
StPeteAPB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St Pete, FL
Posts: 5,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva350 View Post
ok, finally had time to readjust the clutch cable and put in some free-play. AT higher rps, the power is back. Its harder to put the gear in Neutral now though, but power is back, - I just hope I did not burn the clutch plate or ruin anything. I probably rode for 100 miles or so with the clutch cable tight. Oh well- live & learn.

Read the owners manual and see that there just needs to be a little play, not a lot.

If you're having a hard time getting her into Neutral, you're probably too loose, now. Which means, you're not completely disengaging the clutch when you shift - a different issue. Find that sweet spot. That knob on the hand lever is for precision adjusting ... utilize it to tweak the play.

Let me know if you need more assistance.
StPeteAPB is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 12:31 PM
Lifetime Member
 
X_KIOWA_X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Panhandle of FL
Posts: 4,683
I seriously doubt that you messed anything up, I just think you need to keep adjusting the cable to get it back to where it was, I know when I changed mine I had to loosen the cable some and then readjust them once I got the levers on, but your right with not riding it until you get that fixed, one it's a safety issue, and two your going to end up wearing something out like the clutch.


Mods: Morton Inferno Exhaust, Painted Engine, PowderCoated Rims, Kury Skull Shift and Brake Pegs, Kury Skull Foot Pegs, Kury Passenger Pegs, Danny Gray Seat, Ginz Sissybar, STG Fork Covers, Freedom T-Mod, Irate Skull Grill, MFR +3 Forwards
X_KIOWA_X is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome