New bars, removing speedo, but odometer?? - Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

New bars, removing speedo, but odometer??

Doing a new bar setup and not putting stock speedo back on. Also do not have the money for a fancy $500+ speedo with indicator lights at the moment so I'm gonna run old school and ride by feel.

Question is, with speedo removed where are the miles storred? If I unplug with 5000 miles, and ride 1000, if I plug it back in will it have updated to 6000 miles on the display? I know the newer Harley's they are storred on the ecu, but others have to send the new speedo to get calibrated to the old one when swapping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 11:31 PM
Septuagenarian Rider

Location: West End of the 49th Parallel on a US 2010-ABS/LB-Fury
Send a message via Skype™ to Seņor Gar
Ride 10 miles and then plug the speedo in for a reading. Then you'll know for sure .
Kbuskill likes this.

<pics<>links> *V-Mod * Factory X Forwards * Bagger Convertible
With a C&C seat, Xtended Forwards and Cannella Risers, 500 mile days are a breeze .
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 12:24 AM

I know they are stored in the ECU for sure and can be read by Honda with there diagnostic tool but I'm not sure if the speedo reads from the ECU or if it keeps track on its own.

***Edit***
After looking at the wiring diagram it appears that the vehicle speed sensor Ts off and goes to the ECU and the speedo so I'm gonna guess that the speedo will not continue to accrue mileage without being hooked up.

Also looking at the diagram, I wonder if unplugging fuse F in the fuse box will accomplish the same thing as unplugging the speedo for the test. Fuse F is for the clock which is also where the speedo gets its power from, not for illumination but for the speedo itself.

(Grandmaster of the Re-Flash Posse)
High Performance ECU Reflash Thread

Last edited by Kbuskill; 01-23-2017 at 12:33 AM.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Yeah once I get it back together I can do a test with it unplugged the plug it back in. I like the clean look of no speedo on the bars, and I would go with STG relocator but I'm running stock air box and have my switches for leds mounted on the top of the box. I think he bracket would cover them. The biggest thing will be fuel light since all the aftermarkets don't have an indicator led for one. The minimoto one looks clean but BIGGGG $$$$$
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunShow69 View Post

Question is, with speedo removed where are the miles storred? If I unplug with 5000 miles, and ride 1000, if I plug it back in will it have updated to 6000 miles on the display? I know the newer Harley's they are storred on the ecu, but others have to send the new speedo to get calibrated to the old one when swapping.
You will have 5000 miles on it, the mileage is stored in the speedometer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbuskill View Post
I know they are stored in the ECU for sure and can be read by Honda with there diagnostic tool but I'm not sure if the speedo reads from the ECU or if it keeps track on its own.

I do not believe this is correct, when I hook the Honda equipment, I have to input the VIN and milage.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
You will have 5000 miles on it, the mileage is stored in the speedometer

I do not believe this is correct, when I hook the Honda equipment, I have to input the VIN and milage.
I thought I remembered Don telling me it was stored in the ECU, but I could be wrong... I have slept since then and probably forgot... Lol

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
The biggest thing will be fuel light since all the aftermarkets don't have an indicator led for one.
That's easy just install an LED in the top of your airbox next to your switches and wire it up to the low fuel indicator.

Think of the low fuel sensor like a simple on/off switch connected inline on the ground side of your LED/low fuel light.

When the switch is open (full tank) the LF light has no ground, so no illumination.

When the switch closes (low fuel) it completes the circuit and provides a ground to the LF light and it illuminates.

I think if you were to hook the ground side of your LED to the Light Green (low fuel sensor) wire at the cluster and the positive side of your LED to the Brown (meter illumination) wire at the cluster that it should function correctly.

Or if you wanted to test it without getting into the speedo you could hook the LED ground wire to the LF sensor where the Light Green is supposed to hook up, leaving the Dark Green hooked up to the LFS as it should be, and hook the positive wire from your LED to any 12V source on the bike ( like the positive post of the battery).

If I am correct there should be no light with the tank full and if you put a jumper wire across the terminals of the LFS you should get the LED to turn on.

I posted all of this because I know some other members have tried this in the past but I believe they had it wired incorrectly and it didn't work.

When I say LED I assume you are aware that any LED will need a resistor to reduce the voltage because 12v will blow the LED instantly without it BUT if you purchase an LED that is for use in a 12v system this resistor should already be installed on the positive lead of the LED.

I just wanted to clarify that before anyone gets on here and says that it needs one. Alternately you could use a regular filament style bulb but I suggest LED for longevity, especially being attached to the airbox and therefore the engine because the vibration would probably kill a filament bulb in short order.

Hope this helps... Keep us posted.

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbuskill View Post
That's easy just install an LED in the top of your airbox next to your switches and wire it up to the low fuel indicator.

Think of the low fuel sensor like a simple on/off switch connected inline on the ground side of your LED/low fuel light.

When the switch is open (full tank) the LF light has no ground, so no illumination.

When the switch closes (low fuel) it completes the circuit and provides a ground to the LF light and it illuminates.

I think if you were to hook the ground side of your LED to the Light Green (low fuel sensor) wire at the cluster and the positive side of your LED to the Brown (meter illumination) wire at the cluster that it should function correctly.

Or if you wanted to test it without getting into the speedo you could hook the LED ground wire to the LF sensor where the Light Green is supposed to hook up, leaving the Dark Green hooked up to the LFS as it should be, and hook the positive wire from your LED to any 12V source on the bike ( like the positive post of the battery).

If I am correct there should be no light with the tank full and if you put a jumper wire across the terminals of the LFS you should get the LED to turn on.

I posted all of this because I know some other members have tried this in the past but I believe they had it wired incorrectly and it didn't work.

When I say LED I assume you are aware that any LED will need a resistor to reduce the voltage because 12v will blow the LED instantly without it BUT if you purchase an LED that is for use in a 12v system this resistor should already be installed on the positive lead of the LED.

I just wanted to clarify that before anyone gets on here and says that it needs one. Alternately you could use a regular filament style bulb but I suggest LED for longevity, especially being attached to the airbox and therefore the engine because the vibration would probably kill a filament bulb in short order.

Hope this helps... Keep us posted.

That's how mentally I figured it worked then I looked into 2 separate posts by Djconroy and Evomotors about wiring up an led light, and they both stated having issues with the resistance, light not shutting off, etc. the posts were kind of old and didn't really show any further detail about them. I tried reaching out to both to see if they figured it out, but had no avail. I assume wiring in a 12v led for the neutral and oil light are staright forward (power and ground) but the fuel light seems to operate differently as Evomotors was trying to explain. Something about the sensor having a high resistance when full tank and with a low tank having lower resistance and allowing enough volts through to illuminate the incandescent oem bulb. It wasn't as simple as applying a ground to the light when the tank is empty
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
That's how mentally I figured it worked then I looked into 2 separate posts by Djconroy and Evomotors about wiring up an led light, and they both stated having issues with the resistance, light not shutting off, etc. the posts were kind of old and didn't really show any further detail about them. I tried reaching out to both to see if they figured it out, but had no avail. I assume wiring in a 12v led for the neutral and oil light are staright forward (power and ground) but the fuel light seems to operate differently as Evomotors was trying to explain. Something about the sensor having a high resistance when full tank and with a low tank having lower resistance and allowing enough volts through to illuminate the incandescent oem bulb. It wasn't as simple as applying a ground to the light when the tank is empty
I am aware of those posts and still believe this is flawed thinking... Non of the bulbs in the speedo housing are incandescent to my knowledge they are all LED... I think the other attempts were wired incorrectly... My 2 cents... I guess you won't know for sure unless you try it.

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Kbushkill.....this is why you've been my go to guy!
Kbuskill likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode