Honda Fury Forums: banner

No start help!

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  krashDH 
#1 ·
Bike has been in garage all winter, battery tender hooked up. I have started it and let it run for 5-10 minutes about once a month since it got cold. This afternoon I turned key on and all lights came on, speedo did its thing. Push the start button and everything goes dead. Check the voltage on battery,12.5 volts. Turn key back on, nothing. No lights or anything. I checked voltage with just the key on and it shows only .5 volts? That's not hitting the starter button! Anyone have an idea where to start looking?

#5 ·
Make sure your cable terminals are clean and wel connected.

Reactions: Kbuskill
#6 ·
I'm sure it'll start fine with a good battery.

May I ask why you would periodically start the bike if you had the battery on a tender? From what I remember, I believe all that does is drain your battery. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the bike will not charge the battery at idle, at least not enough to regain what you lost when starting. With the Fury's charging system, I believe there is a minimum RPM to charge the battery and so you have to be going down the road at cruising speed for a while for the battery to charge.

#7 ·
The whole not charging at idle thing is a myth, at least on the Fury. My bike low idles at 700rpm and still puts out 13.2-13.4 volts.

However starting the bike and not letting it run for a long enough period to recharge what was taken out of it to start the bike will definitely kill the battery eventually but having it on a tender should negate any issues caused from that.

#10 ·
Same here. Bike idles at 700RPM and >13.2Volts. But you are right Goat, 10 minutes of idling will not recharge the energy needed for starting the bike. The tender does a better job at that but may take up to 24 hrs.

Why start the bike and idle for 10-15 minutes:confuzed::confuzed::confuzed: Some people say it's good for a machine to operate it every now and than to avoid things get sticky, rusty, whatever. True. But to fire up an internal combustion engine for just 10 minutes of idling you won't be putting any real heat into it. Not enough to evaporate the condensation the idling causes. I need about 20 minutes of riding to get the oil temperature (right, in the picture) at 175°F. So, if I can't ride, I'm not starting the motor. Just my $.02.

Attachments

Reactions: Goat and Kbuskill
#12 ·
I start it up when it's been to cold for ME to ride and it's been awhile. Usually about a month is all I can take without hearing it run. I just enjoy the sound. I don't know if it's good or bad for the bike. Seriously doubt it's bad for it to run for 10-15 min. I know it doesn't help the battery, but it doesn't hurt the oil or the gas to be moved around. Also it doesn't just idle!

#13 ·
Make sure the kill switch has not been accidentally turned half to the off position. This happened to me once and was not easily visible:smile:

#14 ·
It definitely has no negative side effects to run the bike for a bit. Gets fluids moving, etc. Like KB has mentioned, the tender will put back any lost voltage to the start overnight most likely. First time out riding though I would give er hell and open it up...let the engine eat.

Reactions: Kbuskill
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.