Honda Fury Forums: banner

Cobra pipes mounting bracket top bolt & nut?

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  weracerc 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok I screwed up. I have been having issues with gas tank venting (it did not breathe!) I found the vent tube crushed between the top cobra pipe mount and the engine case (original owner screwed up on install). Well here is my screw up - I thought I could loosen the mount to get the vent tube free, well nope. All I was able to do was break the top bolt free, I was not aware of the nut & bolt considering I can't see in there to figure out it had a lock nut on it. I thought it was going in to a welded thread on the back side. So now I have a partially loose top mount nut & bolt and I can't figure out how anyone could ever get to that nut to hold it to tighten the bolt. I have ABS bike with plumbing all around this area. I cant see the nut - nor touch the nut with any tool I have. I have got to tighten that bolt back so I don't lose it from vibes making the nut just loosen all the way and fall off.

Somebody has got to know a trick to get to this nut. P.s. I have freaking bratwurst sausages for fingers so they ain't getting in there.

#2 · (Edited)
exhaust nut

You should be able to get a spanner down the side from under the rear fender in front of the tyre
if not remove the seat and fender and it will be easy you will see the nut .

Photo will show you .

don't know why the photo wont show when clicked best to right click and view in new window if your using a windows com ?

Attachments

#3 ·
Ok crisis averted - had the seat off already - two expanded fasteners out - fender off - long crooked neck 14 box end wrench wedged on an angle from the left side under the edge of the nut in question (still couldnt see the nut) but anyway I was able to get the bolt/nut back tight. I still can't imagine how anyone could ever get the nut started on the bolt on a fresh I stall. If the bike has to be disassembled to degree to gain clear access to this nut/bolt connection point then someone should video the whole process in detail to help others who can't reach in to this very limited tight area.

#4 ·
ok

weracerc

I have the same exhaust and I do remember it was a bit fiddly when I first installed that bolt it only now that
my bike is striped at the rear waiting on the rear wheel being returned this is why I posted my idea it may not be as simple with the wheel on when I fit mine back on i will see the simplest way with it all together and post something as to the way I have done this may help someone :wink:

#6 ·
weracerc

I have the same exhaust and I do remember it was a bit fiddly when I first installed that bolt it only now that
my bike is striped at the rear waiting on the rear wheel being returned this is why I posted my idea it may not be as simple with the wheel on when I fit mine back on i will see the simplest way with it all together and post something as to the way I have done this may help someone :wink:
Ok... I give up... why is your rear wheel not in your possession???

#5 ·
that would be most helpful to future from scratch pipe replacers - if i were you i would put that bracket on while you have it all stripped down like this. My bike is also a CXAC with the evap canister so even more stuff hanging under the bike in that neighborhood. I really would like know if there is a way to get to that nut without a major tear down of the back half of the bike. The fender off/tire on allowed me just enough room and an angle to get that crooked neck box end 14mm wrench thru the gap of the front of the swingarm assembly and the frame structure (about 1" gap) that was the only access point i could find - it did not allow me to see the nut or feel the nut with my fingers but i was able to wedge that wrench in there and get it up tight to the nut so it did not spin while i cranked on the ratchet to tighten the bolt to the nut.

#7 ·
Rear wheel

Don't want to hijack this members post so ill make it short .
My wheel is being widened to 8.50 in Germany so once I receive it back I will modify the swing arm
and make new fender struts all going well I will post it all up .
While I am at it a BIG thanks to AV8R for his technical help and support in my project

#8 ·
Don't want to hijack this members post so ill make it short .
My wheel is being widened to 8.50 in Germany so once I receive it back I will modify the swing arm
and make new fender struts all going well I will post it all up .
While I am at it a BIG thanks to AV8R for his technical help and support in my project
I kinda figured you were up to no good.... I say no good because I haven't had mine widened yet... lol

#12 ·
as you can see from this picture of a disassembled rear end (nut location point out)

my bike with only the rear fender removed - see the three lines coming in from the top right side as a reference point - the nut location is buried a good ways down behind the swingarm (nut is not visible in my picture)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.