Honda Fury Forums: banner

Helmets

4K views 37 replies 20 participants last post by  Hillzz 
#1 ·
Just curious as to who wears a helmet when riding?

#2 ·
I never ride without one, and won't take a passenger that isn't wearing one.

I had an accident in my 20's where my helmet took a hit hard enough to take a chunk out of it and scar/rash the surrounding area. Without it, that missing chunk would have been my skull.

#3 ·
I too had a nasty accident many years ago and a good helmet was the only thing that saved me but.....................I haven't gotten any smarter over the years, I occasionally jump on the bike and cruise the back roads with nothing but a dew-rag, my Oakleys and a set of stereo ear plugs so I can jam to my favorite tunes. It's not the smartest way to travel on a bike but it sure beats the hell out of whatever is in second place!

#7 · (Edited)
My buddy in high school went down in a 3/4 and knocked out teeth/ground part of his chin off. Pointed out to me that a full coverage helmet was the only way to go. First helmet was a Bell Star. Felt like Darth Vader helmet. Compared to today's helmets, it was.

I want a dull black skull cap so bad and then watch this scooter rider skid, with the front wheel at an angle, into a car in a traffic jam in front of my house. The helmet hits the ground, rolls up on the side of his head and the side of his head/face hits the ground. This was slowing down from 10 mph. He was surprised by the car stopping in front of so abruptly. He had stopped moving forward at this point and just hit the ground.

I rode in my home state, where the helmet law was repealed, for a day without one. Just sunglasses and earplugs. It all came back to me. Memories of sand off the back of trucks, pebbles flung up by car tires, June bugs to the forehead and adam's apple. Don't forget the seeds/live bugs to closed and open mouth, nose and cheeks when I rode with a 3/4 back in the 80's.

Taking a full coverage back with me for vacation this year. I have three full coverage helmets road for use here: Repsol colors, hi-viz yellow for rain days and flat black for the Fury.

Attachments

#19 ·
My buddy in high school went down in a 3/4 and knocked out teeth/ground part of his chin off. Pointed out to me that a full coverage helmet was the only way to go.
My last accident cost me front teeth because of my 3/4 helmet. Full face Scorpion now, though I have a shelf full of different lids. I need to sell some of them, actually. I never liked the skid lids.

Wife was on the back in that accident, just a girlfriend back then. She had a full face and was fine. It's debatable, though, as she did decide to marry me after that wreck. I guess some brain damage did occur.

#8 ·
Never ride without a helmet, BUT I do ride with a novelty half helmet (basically a plastic bowl). Most of the time 3/4 helmet or a flat black full face helmet.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Oh and if you buy a full face make sure it's not only DOT certified, make sure it's SNELL certified

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#11 · (Edited)
My brother sold me his Yamaha cruiser after he upgraded to a newer model. It came with a leather "Fonzi" jacket/german helmet for me and half helmet which he wanted to keep.
Went on a 800 mile round trip and after it choked me after rotating back on my head when the wind caught it and having to keep pulling it down, I replaced it with this.
Couldn't find a full face in stock I liked after visiting three shops that day, driving around another 150 miles.

Attachments

#12 ·
paul I have half helmet too but as you say they move back when wind catch them, no good for motorway speed I only use it on real hot days for around town, slow speeds about 30/40 mph >:)

#14 ·
I always wear a full face helmet. I have a HJC (DOT certified) that I keep in my friend's place in CA and an another HJC (AS 1698 certified) that I use here in Oz. I retired my OGK helmet this year as it had reached its use by date.

I find full face helmets are more comfortable as the wind does not tend to lift them off and they stop bugs and other stuff being flicked into your face. They also tend to be quieter and the modern full face helmets have good ventilation so they stay cool and don't fog up.

#15 ·
Been riding for over 47 years and always ride with a helmet, and a quality one at that. One of the few things I remember from 1971 when I was first learning to ride was if you have a $10 head wear a $10 helmet, and from that point on I always wore a quality full coverage helmet, not caring one bit if it "looked cool" or not. To those who chose not to wear a helmet, I just say I hope you have good insurance because I sure as hell don't want to pay for your dumb choice, but hey, it's a free country, right?

#18 ·
That's a good paint job on that tupperware you call a helmet lol. I use the same thing around town.... and sometimes out of town too. Its the only half helmet that doesn't get pulled up by the wind.

#22 ·
I started thread. I don't even own a helmet. It's not good sometimes since the state's on both sides of me require them. I also don't ride if it is below 65, and keep a very close eye on the rain. I realize that helmets are safer, but I love the freedom that no helmet allows.

Reactions: 835
#28 ·
I wear a half hat most of the time. Its the best fitting helmet I've found. Lately, I've been thinking about getting a 3/4. This is mostly for both comfort and my eyes. Since my eye surgery any form of sunlight is just downright painful without sunglasses. There are full face helmets with inner sun lenses that can slide down, but I haven't found one that fits me.

I wear a scorpion full face when its cold, but I have so much trouble trying to find a full face that fits me properly, and can be worn for more than an hour.

#30 ·
The helmet debate is always an interesting one.
I have both a half shell and a full face for the Fury. My goto the majority of the time is the full-face. Especially on the highway, where there's a lot of traffic, or at speeds. If you've ever taken a rock kicked up from a vehicle you'll understand why. Without a windshield, full face cuts the wind. In brisk temperatures this is really nice.
I'll ride a half lid when I'm putzing around town, can't go over 40 anyway. Depending on how the lid fits, at speeds they will tend to lift up. I absolutely don't like that, feels like the damn thing is going to strangle you.

I came from a state that didn't require one, and then moved to one that did. I used to not wear one at all.
Now that I have been, I probably wouldn't go back, no matter what the state laws were.

That being said, helmets can save you, and they can't. It really all depends on how you go down. Does it reduce the risk? Only from certain types of impacts. And no type of impact is guaranteed.

#31 ·
I ride the majority of the time with my Bell Pit Boss half-helmet. Doesn't lift @ highway speeds like most half helmets do, so you folks that don't like how half-helmets lift, you may take a look at it. Not the best looking half helmet out there, but it's comfortable and has a pop down visor. Some come with this visor in clear, and some it's tinted. Dunno how/why some are different, but I like it clear, as I pull it down as needed for road grit day or night. Sunglasses or my yellow shooting glasses (for night time) are my eye protection...

My full face is a Bell Star but I don't wear it much anymore. Usually only when it's really cold, or I'm doing a long highway haul.

#37 ·
I ride (most of the time) with one of these...

It's a modular and vents reasonably well. I've got a large (XXL) head and fit has always been an issue. I like the options this helmet presents for wear... can ride with it opened up and not feel like the wind is gonna take my head off, up to about 30mph. Internal sun shield is also a cool feature. Haven't experimented with adding/moving/removing any of the padding yet to refine the fit but I may. I recognize the danger of riding without a helmet, but still do it from time to time.

Reactions: macxpert
#38 ·
I just modified this helmet abit to improve venting. Used a cone-shaped grinding stone in my drill and bored out the six dime-sized vent holes in the inner Styrofoam liner (didn't alter the shell at all). The surface of the Styrofoam now shows better than quarter-sized holes. Air movement is noticeably better now. Can actually feel my hair (what little there is) blowing around when the vents are open. Don't believe the integrity of the helmet has been lessened in the least.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.