Honda Fury Forums: banner

Can it be done

4K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  Luap 
#1 ·
Look I'm no fabricator. I do however know that some here are. All I want is a sissy bar that utilizes the style and fitment of an oem bar. I like the way the bottom flows a long the curve of the fender and the slimness of the oem. All the aftermarket bars go to the outside of the fender and attach to the frame. They look ok and the bars them self look great, but since Honda already designed a bar that fits and mounts in such a manner why hasn't any aftermarket fabricators utilized that style? I really like the flow and slimness of the Honda oem mount.

Reactions: BakoFury
#2 ·
Have you looked at MotoGateway?

Reactions: Kbuskill
#3 ·
yes unless I missed something. Once again they either mount on the sides of the fender rather than the top, or the style and look just isn't there. I like the style of the ginz bars, I just don't like their mounting brackets because they go to the outside of the fender. No one local to me does custom bars, believe me I have looked. Just hoping someone here might have suggestions.

#4 ·
Visited moto again. Yes that mount is what I'm looking for, but the style doesn't do it. Wish they had like a twisted style or a dagger or devils tail or something. You know something that made it stand out! Perhaps I can't have my cake and eat it too!

#10 ·
I didn't like the point at the back of the rack and asked Evan to bend up the rack/Skyscraper sissybar with arched loops. Custom: $650. The way I want it: priceless!

#12 ·
The stock sissy has been used as a base for fabrication also. Try search button.

#13 ·
I have talked to a couple of people about exactly that. A friend did that with his hd. Turned out real nice. Problem is the metal in the oem is hollow and aluminum, unlike oem hd which is steel and solid. I'll search again, maybe I missed something.

#16 ·
I'm pretty sure I saw a stock one turned into a skyscraper. Advanced search is your friend.

#17 ·
Well, good to know it's steel and not aluminum. Searched the posts here again. Anything dealing with using the oem is 5 to 7 years old. It appears some fabricators looked into it, but never followed through. No one ever said why. Some I'm back where I started and where many have already ventured. Finding a fabricator local who makes custom sissy bars. Something I have been unable to find. A Facebook group gave me the name of a place called rebel spirit who I have contacted and am waiting to hear back.

#19 ·
I feel like this would be even easier to do at home than pipes, and cheaper. A harbor freight tube bender could easily do thin walled tubing.

#26 ·
Ginz

I agree. To try and eliminate the appearance of the brackets, I had Ginz powder coat them black and then used chrome side mounts and bar. The brackets then blend in with the tire and fender so they don't stand out as much. I am not sure if those with bike colors other than black could achieve the same effect. Stick had one of the first Ginz bars and his is a one off with the mounts going through the fender. I like that best but didn't have the skills to ensure the holes were in the right place.

If you find a fabricator to do a nice job, I am sure others would be pleased to follow suit.

#35 ·
I had the same sissy bar dilemma. I liked the look of Ginz but could not justify the price. I found a 5/16 sissy bar on Amazon for $115 that had the shape I liked (they had a devils tail and dagger too) but no Fury mounts. I've never worked with steel so it was all new to me. I bought some 3/16 4"x8" steel at my local Home Depot. I cut that piece in half so I had a mount for each side. I clamped each piece to the toung of my boat trailer and used a large crescent wrench to put a bend in the mount-it needed about a 1/4" offset to go out from the fender frame to the inside of the plastic fender. I used the taillight assembly holes to secure the mount. I then welded 3/4" pipe to the mounts for the sissy bar to slide into. Used a grinder to clean up and the cuts and welds. Definitely not as clean as Ginz mount would be but with the extra $400 I saved I got mini apes, footboards and 3" fork extensions (coming Friday).

Attachments

Reactions: BakoFury and 835
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.