Honda Fury Forums: banner

Fork Tube

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  krashDH 
#1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know where I could source a fork tube for the right side? I've been battling a small misalignment between the upper and lower crown. No matter how I try to adjust, it seems like I just cannot get the dang thing to line up to the lower part of the triple tree.

Axle is straight, crowns are good, stem thru nut/rod is good. That really only leaves a possible slight bend in the fork tube. Has been this way since it rolled off the shipping truck, I'm wondering if when they strapped it down the torqued the hell out of one of the fork tubes.

I may try again tonight to align it by taking the wheel off, loosening everything, and re aligning, maybe even rotating the fork tube. It doesn't really effect the handling at all, just one of the quirks I personally notice. I think the parts places want $250 for it. Can't justify that kind of coin for what it is.

#5 ·
Yeah I did some reading on that business and that's the verdict I got too.
I'd be looking at doing a DLC coating as well

#7 ·
I actually haven't had the stanchions out of the lowers up to this point. I rolled the axle and it's fine. Technically the upper and lower crown have to line up because of how they go together (Well, whoever is doing the work, me, needs to line them up).

Two nights ago I pulled the wheel loosened the top crown nut loosened all the pinch bolts on the crowns, and re-aligned the top and bottom crowns. Then I installed the axle. With the axle in I made sure the crowns were still aligned. If you grab the bottom of each fork leg, with the axle in, you can watch the upper crown rotate a small amount, even with the top crown nut secured town. It's a big moment for the length of the fork.

I then tightened down the pinch bolts per the FSM. Checked the top to bottom crown alignment, and it was still slightly off. It's not huge, maybe .060" of the length of the crown. I repeated all of this over and over to see if the sequence I tightened the pinch bolts made a difference. Every way I tried, same result

Kind of proves out that one of the stanchions is bent, creating this ever so slight "twist". I inspected a little more in depth, and noticed that one of the stanchions (non drive side) had what looked like a small wrinkle in the chrome.

I think either the PO or the shippers did it. Nothing I can do now, except live with it, or see how long it takes my OCD to force me to give in to a new one.

I'll not that it does not have an effect on the steering or handling whatsoever, which is good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.