long distance rides! - Page 2 - Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum

» Insurance
» Honda Fury Prices
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobinj View Post
Anything over 150 miles sucks with any seat solo or not
What's the matter, Justin? You still feeling it??? Do you mean 150 miles on the Fury or any bike/seat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

just did 1745 miles in four days...
700 miles in one day and my a@@ is still hurting !!!
but would do it again !!!!

October 2013 Fury of The Month !!!
christophersfury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Gar just did a ton of miles on his Fury, some days well over 500 miles. You need to change a few things, like the seat, risers, +3 forwards if your tall and a sissy bar and your good to go. So called cruisers or touring bikes are not automatically more comfortable than a Fury.

With Cannella risers, Supreme Legends forwards, C&C Sport touring seat, Ginz Sissy bar and back rest. I can have my wife on the back and do 500 Kilometers in a day with no sweat. If I really wanted to I could do Sydney to Brisbane (1000 K) in a day with my setup.
macxpert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

I've ridden over 40,000 miles on my VTX1800 before it was totaled in May. I bought my Fury on June 1st and have made a 250 mile day ride on it since. I've ridden from Austin to FL, NM, AZ, CO, KS, & MO (on the X). My advice is:

1. Get a comfortable seat. I would usually go tank-to-tank the first half of the day (only breaking for fill ups). But the second half of the day I would need more frequent stops to stretch. I had a Corbin Young Gun on my X, not the most comfortable seat, especially for long trips.
2. My limited time on the Fury tells me that it is not really the greatest long distance bike, if for no other reason comfort. I'll find out later this year as I am planning to make a trip to Arkansas and ride the Ozark's with a group of guys.
3. I "personally" think the sissy bar and luggage rack would take away from the look of the Fury, but that's me. I haven't really seen any that grabbed my attention yet. But it is a necessity unless you plan to ship your belongings ahead of you.

I bought my Fury to ride solo. I took the back seat off and don't plan to put it back on. If my wife decides she wants to ride, which she hasn't ridden with me for three years, I'll look into a big cruiser like the Goldwing or something similar. (I'm not a Harley fan so that's not in the equation. I'm not paying more for a bike just because of branding). :-)

Sent from my iPad using MO Free
Old 07-03-2012, 04:55 AM   #15 (permalink)

really with wife long distance ride will be very enjoyable.......
Old 07-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #16 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpert View Post
Gar just did a ton of miles on his Fury, some days well over 500 miles. You need to change a few things, like the seat, risers, +3 forwards if your tall and a sissy bar and your good to go. So called cruisers or touring bikes are not automatically more comfortable than a Fury.

With Cannella risers, Supreme Legends forwards, C&C Sport touring seat, Ginz Sissy bar and back rest. I can have my wife on the back and do 500 Kilometers in a day with no sweat. If I really wanted to I could do Sydney to Brisbane (1000 K) in a day with my setup.
Like I stated above all those things will help with the ride to make it more tolerable, but my opinion is that no matter what you do to this bike it's never going to be a true cruiser/touring bike.

I agree with you that everyone has a different comfort level and I would say most can probably do a few hundred miles a day 2 up, but anymore than that and I don't see how you can enjoy the ride, and I like to feel the wind in my face too, but I also like to slow down and see the things that I'm driving past.

I would have to disagree about a cruiser/touring bike not being more comfortable and set-up for long distance rides, I have never owned one but I have seen a lot of them and sat on quiet a few and they have felt way better than the Fury for a long distance ride.

I would much rather have a set of floorboards to rest my feet on for a long ride than holding my feet on some small pegs, I would much rather have a true cruise control than a throttle lock or cramp buster hand rest, I would rather have saddle bags to put gear in than a swingarm bag or a backpack, and I would much rather have a fairing with windshield than the windscreen.

These are just my opinions and I know we all have different opinions, but I want the guy that's asking to know that this bike the way it is, is not set-up for long distance rides off the showroom floor and that he would have to spend some money to get it somewhat tolerable, and he can decide if he would rather spend money on the Fury and upgrade those things or just buy a true cruiser/touring bike in the first place.

Mods: Morton Inferno And STG 2 into 1 Exhaust,Painted Engine,PowderCoated Rims,Kury Skull Shift pegs,Foot Pegs,Passenger Pegs,Danny Gray Seat,Ginz Sissybar,STG Fork Covers,Freedom T-Mod, PowderCoated Rims,Irate Skull Grill, MFR +3 Forwards
X_KIOWA_X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #17 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to kenridesalot

I think one of the greatest limiting factors is fuel capacity. With a 3 & 1/2 gal tank you'll be stopping for gas quite frequently, plus the way the gas stations are spaced out, you may have to refill at say 80 or 90 miles instead of almost empty because the next station may be beyond your reach.
kenridesalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #18 (permalink)

Location: West End of the 49th 2010-ABS-Fury (US) Septuagenarian Rider
Send a message via Skype™ to Seņor Gar

Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpert View Post
Just did 3200 miles in 12 days down and back on the left coast, 'bout 1200 with macXpert . Last 3 days were 300/550/550, a very easy ride with my changes (see links on my signature). Not one bit of discomfort anywhere except for an old injury in my right foot that simply took position changes to deal with. No need to move around in the saddle either. That's saying something when you consider I'm 68 years old. Doing the speed limits, I stopped every 100 miles for gas and often stretched my legs at 50 miles; commonsense on any ride. If the Fury is the only remaining bike out there that still moves your soul as is the case for me, many good suggestions on this thread to convert it to a FuryWing .

One point not mentioned is seat material and I have leather which breaths and feels just as good at hour 10 as it did at the start. Although it took a few weeks to 'break in', along with the Gel insert my C&C seat actually feels better to me as the hours and days go by! BTW, I'm 5'11" in the morning and 5"10" at the end of any day, normal for my age . One more thing, I couldn't have done it without my backrest .

Oh yeah, my FuryBagger turned a lot of heads from cruiser riders heading the other way on the freeway
. Most folks are unaware of the Fury and all they see is one very hot looking cruiser. Didn't see one chopper on the freeway .

Old 07-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_KIOWA_X View Post

I would have to disagree about a cruiser/touring bike not being more comfortable and set-up for long distance rides, I have never owned one but I have seen a lot of them and sat on quiet a few and they have felt way better than the Fury for a long distance ride.

I would much rather have a set of floorboards to rest my feet on for a long ride than holding my feet on some small pegs, I would much rather have a true cruise control than a throttle lock or cramp buster hand rest, I would rather have saddle bags to put gear in than a swingarm bag or a backpack, and I would much rather have a fairing with windshield than the windscreen.
You have many good points. I have ridden a traditional cruiser on long rides with Gar (I rented them while I was in Canada & USA) and here is what I found.
Windshields - Pain in the arse, always to short and the wind over the shield throws your head around giving you a bad headache. I take them off.
Floor boards - damn uncomfortable as you can't move your foot around at different angles, making it easy to get cramps. Plus on many you can't stretch your legs out as much as the forwards on a Fury. I find floor boards so uncomfortable that I made sure the bike I rented on my recent trip had pegs.

Cruise controls, saddle bags and other luggage can be added to the Fury if required.

This is what I have found from my experience, I'm not saying that I'm right and anyone else is wrong just what I have found from real world experience. My wife says the Fury with the C&C seat, Ginz bar and backrest is the most comfortable bike I have owned. I hope this helps folks make their own informed decision.
macxpert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #20 (permalink)

Location: In the country between Wichita Falls and Iowa Park, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. View Post
I rode 600 miles last friday, without a passenger. After about 60-80 miles I will kick by passenger pegs down, lay my shins across them and stretch out across the gas tank for about 20 miles, then back to normal riding position. It really all depends on the person, but if you sit in the same place for long periods of time whether on a bike or not it can get uncomfortable. The key I have found is every now and then adjust how you are sitting on the seat and long distance rides become easier. Oh and this is on a stock seat.
Great idea!!
johnnybigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement