Honda Fury Forums: banner

New fury

10K views 55 replies 21 participants last post by  paul13131313 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm new to riding. My fury is basically gonna be my fuel saver. My first bike and first time rider. I'm in the process of getting my license.

Plus a side note, anyone ever taken off there clutch? I'm wanting to send my clutch to efm and have them modify my clutch for their auto clutch making learning to ride my bike much easier.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Very Clever

What does the EFM No-Stall Auto Clutch do?
The EFM Auto Clutch is a automatic pressure plate designed to work with ANY TYPE OF BIKE. The EFM Auto Clutch allows the rider to take off and stop simply by using the throttle and with out touching the clutch lever. Smooth acceleration and stopping with out the worry of stalling the motorcycle.

Does the EFM No-Stall Auto Clutch have a warranty?
The EFM No-Stall Auto Clutch comes with a life time warranty material and workmanship.

What models does EFM No-Stall Auto Clutch work with?
All, no matter what you drive, EFM has been in the motorcycle industry since 1990 and making auto clutch’s for over 10 years. EFM is the manufacturer. We started making the EFM No-Stall Auto Clutch 1996. We have them for street bikes and dirt bikes.

What kind of primary does the EFM No-Stall Auto Clutch work with.
Any and all, we make them for every type of primary, wet or dry, open or enclosed. EFM has its own engineering department with state of the art CAD-CAM to go from design to working model in 1 DAY--WE ARE THE CLUTCH EXPERTS!

Does the EFM No-Stall Auto Clutch automatically shift gears?
No, the EFM No-Stall Auto Clutch assembly is a automatic pressure plate. You still have to shift gears. You can still use the clutch also if desired only with MORE HOLDING POWER then any stock or after-market clutch out there.

Do I need to keep the clutch lever?
EFM recommends you still to have a manual clutch lever. You can still use the clutch lever for shifting, but with 1 finger pull for normal shifting rpms.

Do I need to adjust EFM No-Stall Auto Clutch?
No, once the unit is set up, it will work that way for a long time. Unless you abuse your clutch by taking off in the wrong gear, letting it slip more than normal, etc. you will probably never need to adjust it.

What kind of maintenance will the EFM unit need?
None!

How do I install the EFM No-Stall Auto Clutch?
The EFM unit will replace your stock pressure plate or clutch completely. If you can remove your stock clutch, you can install the EFM unit.

Do I need to modify my bike to fit the EFM No-Stall Auto Clutch?
No, this unit is a direct replacement to your stock clutch. Always check after the EFM is installed for clearance, but they are designed to be a direct replacement to a stock unit.

How long does it take to install?
Depending on how many things you have to take off to get to the primary, usually 1- 2 hours.

Does the EFM No-Stall Auto Clutch void the warranty?
No, Harley-Davidson does not warranty the clutch pack, this is the only thing that can wear out. On the EFM automatic pressure plate, there is NOTHING TO WEAR OUT.

Does the EFM No-Stall Auto Clutch work with hydraulic clutch?
Yes, the EFM will work with any type of clutch lever, cable, twist or foot pedal type clutch.

How much horsepower will the EFM No-Stall Auto Clutch hold?
We have tested with 280 hp turbo charged and super charged bikes. We have yet to find one to slip.

#3 ·
welcome from the uk, I was also a new rider, passed earlier this year. the fury is a great bike and I think you will be ok without going auto, just my thoughts though. :wink: not sure what the law is where you are, but in the uk if you pass the test in a auto you can not go manual later. enjoy and ride safe m8.

#5 ·
welcome from the uk, I was also a new rider, passed earlier this year. the fury is a great bike and I think you will be ok without going auto, just my thoughts though. :wink: not sure what the law is where you are, but in the uk if you pass the test in a auto you can not go manual later. enjoy and ride safe m8.

Plus, most bikes out there aren't going to have the auto clutch and if for some reason, you ever "need" to ride a bike with a standard clutch, I believe you would want the experience. Being used to pulling the clutch lever is much better than being used to not pulling the clutch lever when shifting.

#6 ·
Looks like they replace the stock clutch with a centrifugal clutch.

#9 ·
Thanx Vang!
Emailed Garry about one for my 2013 Fury.

#10 ·
"Send you complete assembly in. 695.00 plus shipping"

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog
#11 ·
3-5 day turnaround.

#18 ·
Clutch assembly is off and on it's way to EFM.
Ordered heel and toe shifter assembly from a 2013 Interstate came in yesterday.

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog
#20 ·
Looking forward to seeing some videos and updates on how it feels on the Fury!!! This looks like a great comfort feature!!! The price is good for what it does. I've been stuck in L.A. traffic and it sucks!!! Can't wait to see the final outcome of this.

#21 ·
Welcome to the forums glad your here!! Be safe out there when you start riding

:toast:
Nate B

#24 · (Edited)
Thanks for the detailed report Paul and sorry it's such a PITA!
Hopefully good results in the end.
What rpm does the clutch engage?
Since the fury idles at 930 rpm and I expect Harley set-ups idle slower maybe double springs? Then there is the reflash and an optional lower idle setting. Yes, it should be very interesting!

#25 ·
A few hundred rpms above idle in first gear.
Major adjustments to engagement are made with the shims and the springs will change the engagement slightly.
The play in the pack is measured through a hole in the pressure plate to the clutch pack with a caliper and again with the pressure plate pressed with fingertips,The resulting difference should be .055-.060.
Less and the clutch will drag,more and the rpm engagement point will rise.

Reactions: Señor Gar
#26 ·
Here You go Gar,
A couple of pictures of where this project is at.
The cast ribbing Is quite tall and unnecessary per the Honda Rep. my service manager contacted. Casting ribs are for part manufacture.
The manager is just about done grinding it all smooth.
The area with the touch up paint is an impression with painted play dough.
The line outlines the area of interference stopping the clutch cover from seating on crankcase..
The rounded area of the clutch cover is not square but tilted in at the top and right quadrant of the diameter as viewed from the outside.
The reason he called me over to look at his work so far was a bolt recess he was grinding the back of for clearance. He was concerned he was about to go through and after measuring, we found he was within .002!
Stopped grinding there as it was also unnecessary. The bolt will not work in that area and will be cut off after threading into cover only
I suggested taking the ribs down until clearance achieved and another .060 for actuation freeplay but, it looks like all the space will be needed so, he'said taking it all off!

Attachments

#27 ·
The cast ribbing Is quite tall and unnecessary per the Honda Rep. my service manager contacted. Casting ribs are for part manufacture...
I would be careful about this right here. The sales rep is not an engineer.
Those ribs provide structure to an otherwise thin walled casting. Thermal stresses and cycles can be detrimental since a casting's metallurgy (or material uniformity more so) is pretty poor (lots of porosity). Cracks can develop and then failure is almost certain.

I'd be willing to bet there's a "factor of safety" built into the design, so it should be ok, but that structure is def not just for mfg purposes. If Honda wanted, they could cast just the cover all day. But they would be re-designing very quickly.

Anyway, cool project. I've never heard of an "auto" bike, but I can imagine it would kinda be like my Arctic Cat sled!

#29 ·
Yep,so close to riding the Fury again

I'll leave the ribbing not removed on there to hold the cap on.

I am not surprised I have to do all this work with an aftermarket product and I will question the manufacturer about this at the end of install.

Thanx for the input krashDH and Senor Gar.

#30 ·
All of the ribbing is gone! 1/16th of an inch away from cover touching crankcase.
He's grinding down one more quadrant at the top/front side and it's done.
One hole for the bolt to hold the chrome cover on will need the boss on the inside ground down and the bolt shortened. Plenty of thread in the hole for the bolt to screw into.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.