Baffles or pipes? - Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Baffles or pipes?

What are the costs vs benefits of removing the baffles on the stock pipes as compared to just getting new pipes? I have a 2019 Fury.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:09 PM

I can tell you now (from experience) don’t waste your time, blood, sweat or tears trying to drill out the baffles. Not worth it at all. Save your money go to SLK Customs site and buy you some nice pipes. I purchased the SLK Backlash series 2-2 and I love it. Add in the GUHL Motors reflash and you’ll love the Fury not that you already don’t love it because hey you bought it but you will fall in love every time you ride it. All of my buddies ride Harley’s besides a Yamaha here or there and they really dig my Fury. Turns heads and gets a lot of compliments every time I ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kbuskill likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:10 AM

Garage
I second that.. drilling thru the baffle on the stock exhaust is great if your going for a motorboat like sound, otherwise look to the aftermarket, as there are several good options..

Stock exhaust debaffled:

https://youtu.be/a6o-7psCIK0

Cobra Swept with baffle mod and lower idle:

https://youtu.be/HMepuE-GSYg
Kbuskill, Hillzz and boatwire like this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the quick responses. My Harley buddy said that I could remove the baffles, but wanted to make sure if it was worth it. I'll check that site out.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 01:01 PM

The baffles can’t just be removed.... can’t just unbolt and slide them out.

WI_Hedgehog likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBlan1984 View Post
The baffles can’t just be removed.... can’t just unbolt and slide them out.
Well in that case, I'm just going to get new pipes.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:36 PM

Just trying to save you the headache you have to get drill bits and long extensions and you can only drill and knock out the baffles. In the end the sound is a little better but you lose back pressure and on decel it sounds not so good.

WI_Hedgehog likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Henke View Post
What are the costs vs benefits of removing the baffles on the stock pipes as compared to just getting new pipes? I have a 2019 Fury.
(see the threads on each topic--use Tools > Advanced Search)

Drilling is the least expensive, fast, and the sound is "improved." I didn't do this based on member's advice.

Cobra Slip-ons have the lowest bass note, are fast, and inexpensive. @Rope sent me his to avoid the drilling of stock pipes, I cleaned the bike and put micro-fiber towels over everything so nothing would get scratched, worked over a cardboard box so if anything dropped it would have a soft landing, and the sound was great. Some of the packing was then removed for a slightly louder sound--still quiet at idle and with a little throttle, loud with anything other than a soft wrist but never obnoxious. Great at 3AM and on long rides where too much sound wouldn't be good. Loud is "loud" but pretty consistent, once they get "loud" adding more fuel don't make them "louder."

Cobra Swept pipes are more expensive and the sound isn't as deep as Cobra slip-ons, but they're nice and "relatively quiet, but not really." Removing the baffles gives a pretty deep, mellow slightly-hollowish sound, and are always "loud." When you crack the throttle it's just below needing earplugs. At 3AM your neighbors will know you're idling about. @Señor Gar has a great video comparing Cobra to Screaming Eagle.

In my opinion, any shorter unbaffled pipe is obnoxiously loud at all times--some people love that. With a wide diameter pipe it's a good sound, I'd say necessitating earplugs. 50% throttle or more on the freeway is ear-shattering within 50' if the pipes are really short. Not saying this is "bad," just be ready for it.

Señor Gar and waynejitsu like this.

-Sir Ironass
(Fury Nation map)(msg BakoFury your zipcode for add)
(Ginz Choppers - excellent service & prices)

Last edited by WI_Hedgehog; 04-12-2019 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Updated for clarity thanks to Sr. Gar's comments.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 01:59 PM
Septuagenarian Rider

Location: West End of the 49th Parallel on a US 2010 CBS/ABS Fury
Send a message via Skype™ to Señor Gar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WI_Hedgehog View Post
@Señor Gar has a great video comparing Cobra to Screaming Eagle.

In my opinion, any shorter pipe is obnoxiously loud at all times--some people love that. With a wide diameter pipe it's a good sound, I'd say necessitating earplugs. 50% throttle or more on the freeway is ear-shattering within 50' if the pipes are really short. Not saying this is "bad," just be ready for it.
I also found the stock Screamin' Eagles loud and obnoxious just the way guys with no baffles like it. The Screamin' Eagles have baffles but they are way loud so I modified a pair of 3½" Python Quiet Baffles to fit the 3" Screamin' Eagles . The problem is not the short pipe but the baffle design because now my "short pipe" is quieter than the Cobra Slip-Ons.

SE baffles

Python Baffle shortened

Python Baffles adapted to 3"

WI_Hedgehog and waynejitsu like this.

photo gallery

links V-ModFREE FactoryXforwardsBagger Convertible
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Gar View Post
The problem is not the short pipe but the baffle design because now my "short pipe" is quieter than the Cobra Slip-Ons.
Right. I'll update the post to say "baffled" so it's more clear.
Señor Gar likes this.

-Sir Ironass
(Fury Nation map)(msg BakoFury your zipcode for add)
(Ginz Choppers - excellent service & prices)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode