Exhaust - Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Seņor Gar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Exhaust

I am wondering if it would be a good idea to instal my new cobra sweepster exhaust and cobra fi2000 powrpro black tuner on the bike before its 300 mile break in? I’m easy on it and don’t want to mess anything up with a brand new engine by throwing tuners and a whole new exhaust system on it. Thanks for your advice in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:42 PM

I wouldn't. The first 500 miles it appears to run a break-in map.

-Sir Ironass
(Fury Nation map)(msg BakoFury your zipcode for add)
(Ginz Choppers - excellent service & prices)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:58 PM
Septuagenarian Rider

Location: West End of the 49th Parallel on a US 2010 CBS/ABS Fury
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodyKing97 View Post
I am wondering if it would be a good idea to instal my new cobra sweepster exhaust and cobra fi2000 powrpro black tuner on the bike before its 300 mile break in? I’m easy on it and don’t want to mess anything up with a brand new engine by throwing tuners and a whole new exhaust system on it. Thanks for your advice in advance.
Welcome, and good instincts.

Although I am can't find any break in procedure in the owner's manual and in ten years on this forum have never heard of a "break-in map", I also rode mine easy and didn't change exhaust, air cleaner or add a fuel controller for the best part of the first 1000 miles. For me it was an opportunity to get a feel for the bike the way it was designed so that I would better know the effect of any future changes.
This advice has been offered previously by many members, many times
Kbuskill likes this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 03:42 PM

Most ECU engines I've run into recently run de-tuned and rich the first 50 hours or so. After that the engine gains power and the fuel economy goes up significantly. Since some members notice they get around 25 MPG at first, then jump to around 50 MPG and more power (including myself), I'm guessing Honda is running a break-in map.

There's not much information on this subject in general, I found out about it working on various Polaris snowmobile and car (Slingshot) engines and saw other engines behave very similarly, so drew the conclusion it's for the same reason.

Maybe I'm all wet, but I used small words so hopefully you'll keep an open mind.

-Sir Ironass
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WI_Hedgehog View Post
I wouldn't. The first 500 miles it appears to run a break-in map.
what would happen if I did?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WI_Hedgehog View Post
Most ECU engines I've run into recently run de-tuned and rich the first 50 hours or so. After that the engine gains power and the fuel economy goes up significantly. Since some members notice they get around 25 MPG at first, then jump to around 50 MPG and more power (including myself), I'm guessing Honda is running a break-in map.

There's not much information on this subject in general, I found out about it working on various Polaris snowmobile and car (Slingshot) engines and saw other engines behave very similarly, so drew the conclusion it's for the same reason.

Maybe I'm all wet, but I used small words so hopefully you'll keep an open mind.

[IMG class=inlineimg]/images/FuryForums_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG] [IMG class=inlineimg]/images/FuryForums_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG]
is there a reason they run de tuned? Would anything disastrous happen?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
I have no idea if there is such a thing as a 'break in map' as this is the first that I have heard of it. But realistically, probably not. Could affect longevity and from a manufacturers point of view, warranty concerns.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin
The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination. - Voltaire
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordinary Biker View Post
Quote:
I have no idea if there is such a thing as a 'break in map' as this is the first that I have heard of it. But realistically, probably not. Could affect longevity and from a manufacturers point of view, warranty concerns.
appreciate it, I sure hope nothing happens within a year when warranty is up because I put them on yesterday lol. Sounds great though
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 12:30 PM

A break-in ECU map-from what I understand-is to help seat the rings and bearings, which there's a lot to mechanically, hence changing the oil, checking the valves, etc. at 500 miles. In theory this allows for better fuel economy and a cleaner running, longer lasting engine. I understand it also has to do with the super-tight EPA regulations being especially hard on engines during break-in.

-Sir Ironass
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode