Refined Cycle FC20 Forward Controls, Installation Tips and Review - Page 2 - Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:03 PM

Garage
Alright @krashDH

I fixed the too-close to the body for the rear brake (Picture included)

I used a 5/16"x24 allthread to link the clutch, and the bolt that was there but incorrectly sized i used to extended the brake side. I also used the stock spacer/bolts to move it out a good few inches from the body. MUCH more comfortable, but i'm getting about 10% of the rear braking power I used to have. I'm guessing i'm bottoming out something or need to adjust something. I'll work on that another day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190515_161956.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	220940   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190515_161939.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	220942   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190515_161944.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	220944   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190515_161909.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	220946   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190515_161903.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	220948  

WI_Hedgehog likes this.

MrWagner - 2016 Honda Fury - Matte Grey (No ABS)
| Cobra Swept Exhaust | Daymaker Headlight | Cannella Risers | Refined Cycle Extended Controls |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWagner View Post
Alright @krashDH

I fixed the too-close to the body for the rear brake (Picture included)

I used a 5/16"x24 allthread to link the clutch, and the bolt that was there but incorrectly sized i used to extended the brake side. I also used the stock spacer/bolts to move it out a good few inches from the body. MUCH more comfortable, but i'm getting about 10% of the rear braking power I used to have. I'm guessing i'm bottoming out something or need to adjust something. I'll work on that another day.
I don't think that you're bottoming on anything, I think that loss comes from flex in the pieces. You're going through many more pieces to get to the master cylinder now. I've noticed that there is a bit less braking power as well.

Those look very similar to the Refined Cycles kit I have...

The all thread idea is a good one, it does the trick that's for sure.

I still might space my brake side out a bit more, but I'd be changing the frame spacers back to stock like you did, and then using the stock bolts through them, and I'd just be making the spacer and bolt that connects to the brake rocker longer instead of changing to allthread. Reason being is because adding a longer bolt (in your case all-thread) into the pedal like you have, there is more torque at that connection.
WI_Hedgehog likes this.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krashDH View Post
I don't think that you're bottoming on anything, I think that loss comes from flex in the pieces. You're going through many more pieces to get to the master cylinder now. I've noticed that there is a bit less braking power as well.

I still might space my brake side out a bit more, but I'd be changing the frame spacers back to stock like you did, and then using the stock bolts through them, and I'd just be making the spacer and bolt that connects to the brake rocker longer instead of changing to allthread. Reason being is because adding a longer bolt (in your case all-thread) into the pedal like you have, there is more torque at that connection.
Yea its for sure Refined Cycles but i'm pretty sure the kit was for another bike as I said in an earlier reply. But with a few trips to Fastenal, Home Depot, Fisher Auto Parts (where i work), and Walmart i was able to get it up and running.

Going to probably stop by my bike guy tomorrow and have him take a look and see if he has a better idea, but at least for now its drivable (Albeit JANK). The allthread is also zinc coated so will rust, so i'll have to change out in the future.
WI_Hedgehog likes this.

| Cobra Swept Exhaust | Daymaker Headlight | Cannella Risers | Refined Cycle Extended Controls |

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:

Yea its for sure Refined Cycles but i'm pretty sure the kit was for another bike as I said in an earlier reply. But with a few trips to Fastenal, Home Depot, Fisher Auto Parts (where i work), and Walmart i was able to get it up and running.

Going to probably stop by my bike guy tomorrow and have him take a look and see if he has a better idea, but at least for now its drivable (Albeit JANK). The allthread is also zinc coated so will rust, so i'll have to change out in the future.
I think it looks fine except for that all- thread (too much flex). A longer bolt with the right length spacer will work great!
WI_Hedgehog likes this.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:13 PM

Garage
Well i now have 0 rear brake power, so I dont know if there is something to tighten or align. Its a bit out of my mechanical knowledge so i'm going to take it to the dealership next week.

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Well i now have 0 rear brake power, so I dont know if there is something to tighten or align. Its a bit out of my mechanical knowledge so i'm going to take it to the dealership next week.
Did they install it or did you install it? You should make sure that the heavy return spring is seated on the bracket and in the linkage. Did they/you tighten down the slave/master cylinder?

Are you around/near the bike to take any photos?

Make sure all of the closeup photos look like they do in my write up:

https://www.furyforums.com/forum/1698556-post5.html
BakoFury likes this.

Last edited by krashDH; 05-17-2019 at 02:21 PM.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Did they install it or did you install it? You should make sure that the heavy return spring is seated on the bracket and in the linkage. Did they/you tighten down the slave/master cylinder?

Are you around/near the bike to take any photos?

Make sure all of the closeup photos look like they do in my write up:

https://www.furyforums.com/forum/1698556-post5.html

I just noticed in this picture https://i.imgur.com/0rDoECe.jpg?1

The rubber boot thingy on that bottom thing you take out (very technical i know). The one with the two bolts holding to the frame. That rubber boot is depressed all the way down. I think thats my problem. Its not coming back out.

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 01:55 PM

Garage
Took it to the dealership today and he said there was a few bolts on the master cylinder that i needed to adjust. Just got back home and need to wait for the bike to cool before i jump into it. Also i noticed with floorboards they are too far forward and i cant get my boot under the clutch side to shift. I just ordered some new kuryaken swing-out pegs. So should give me plenty of clearance to shift. If i cant get the brake to work this afternoon when i go out to work on it i'll take pictures and reply here.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 03:11 PM

Garage
Alright, so for the 2nd time today i took of my exhaust and redid the brake side. I found 2 things incorrect or needing adjusting. 1st the main tension spring was in the second hole (Which is shows as in 2nd hole in later pictures in the directions) so i moved it to the first hole by the clevis pin thing.

2nd I twisted the clip for the master cylinder futher in (shortening it).

All of which has returned some use of my rear brake but not near where it should be. Its better than 0%. If 30% of your total stopping power is stock i may have 5-8% now. And there is no further adjustment i can make the master cylinder to get more.
WI_Hedgehog likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode