LED Brake,Running, Turn Lights - Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MrWagner
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Unread 05-09-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

LED Brake,Running, Turn Lights

Hopefully I explain well enough but my question is sort of 2 part.
So, I have, what I will call, a flexible 50/50 led light strip that has the brake, running, turn all in one. The strip is seperated for turn signal purposes so half blinks when turn signal is turned on. The strips red/hot wires tie into a "Tri-Star" turn signal to brake light conversion module with running lights.
From the LED strip there are 2 wires coming from each side. A red one and a black one. I disconnected the red ones from the control module and switched them. My test shows that the right half of the LED strip has a problem because the left half works if connected to either side of the control module.

So questions are as follow
Is it normal for an entire strip to go out at once?? Or is there something else to check

If I do need to replace the strip how do I know which one to choose?
Some ask if you want to add a running light circuit. Some have several different wires coming from the strip for left/right turn, brake, running lights and mine seems to be a power and ground only.

Im absolutely confused and need help. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Unread 05-09-2019, 07:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hopefully I explain well enough but my question is sort of 2 part.
So, I have, what I will call, a flexible 50/50 led light strip that has the brake, running, turn all in one. The strip is seperated for turn signal purposes so half blinks when turn signal is turned on. The strips red/hot wires tie into a "Tri-Star" turn signal to brake light conversion module with running lights.
From the LED strip there are 2 wires coming from each side. A red one and a black one. I disconnected the red ones from the control module and switched them. My test shows that the right half of the LED strip has a problem because the left half works if connected to either side of the control module.

So questions are as follow
Is it normal for an entire strip to go out at once?? Or is there something else to check

If I do need to replace the strip how do I know which one to choose?
Some ask if you want to add a running light circuit. Some have several different wires coming from the strip for left/right turn, brake, running lights and mine seems to be a power and ground only.

Im absolutely confused and need help. Thanks
Hey David,

While i'm not sure if vehicle LED's are different from computers, but i build custom PC's quite a lot. Most commonly LED strips are in-segment. You can think of it -kind- of like old christmas lights where you unscrew one bulb and the whole strip goes out. Except with LED they are grouped say like 10 lights per 'segment'. This is designed so theoretically you could cut off a segment to get the length you want and still have a working LED strip. If any segments are broken in any way they will cease to give power to the remaining segments.

From the small research i've done, the LED strips that we would use for our bikes are a complicated 'segmentation' where LED's may be part of 2, 3 or 4 different segments all at once. When, say, you power the segment for turn signal it powers on that particular segment, but at the same time some of those lights may be powered on as part of a running or break light segment.

I've only had my Fury for 2 weeks so i couldnt point you in the right direction for LED 'strips' that would fit. But I purchased quite a few LED kits for my bike on the cheap from Ali Express (Front fork LED strips for turn signals for 3$US, for example) you may want to look there!
WI_Hedgehog likes this.

MrWagner - 2016 Honda Fury - Matte Grey (No ABS)
| Cobra Swept Exhaust | Daymaker Headlight | Cannella Risers | Refined Cycle Extended Controls |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in