Fuel Gauge options? - Page 2 - Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:53 PM

Garage
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordinary Biker View Post
I believe it is a thermistor. The fuel on it cools it, and once exposed it warms up, and the light comes on. Could wrong though, but a float is pretty old school for now days...
What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^.
WI_Hedgehog and boatwire like this.

Salty Hog was here on his Springer Fury and still here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordinary Biker View Post
I believe it is a thermistor. The fuel on it cools it, and once exposed it warms up, and the light comes on.
So... here's a question: I recently had my tank off to be painted. Tank was completely dry when I put it back on the bike. To test the "low fuel" light, I first put in maybe less than a quart of gas, turned on ignition, and started bike. Light did *not* come on. I subsequently filled the tank and have not driven enough to run low on fuel, but I'm not sure I now trust the light.

When I first bought the bike (used) there was little fuel in tank and light *did* come on, so I know the light worked at that time. I reconnected the wires when installing the tank, but paid no attention to which wire went on which lug. I just assumed it was an *on-off" switch.

So does the switch have to cycle through a "cool/warm" sequence?
Do I need to reverse the wires on the switch?
Has the switch somehow failed during the time (two months) it was off the bike and out of the tank?

Thanks for any insight.

Frank
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:12 PM

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to BakoFury
Forgive the obvious question, but are the wires underneath the tank plugged in? I don't know if it matters what order they are on, but there are two little push-on wires that handle the level. Also, you should see that light start to come on at about 110 miles, if you are getting nervous about the level. Then supposedly you have another 30 miles or so to go, but I've never had it past about 120. I don't relish the thought of pushing this thing to a gas station.

Insert clever phrase here that will garner respect and love.

Fury Nation Map

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakoFury View Post
Forgive the obvious question, but are the wires underneath the tank plugged in? I don't know if it matters what order they are on, but there are two little push-on wires that handle the level. Also, you should see that light start to come on at about 110 miles, if you are getting nervous about the level. Then supposedly you have another 30 miles or so to go, but I've never had it past about 120. I don't relish the thought of pushing this thing to a gas station.
The wires *are* plugged in, but as I said in my post above, I paid no attention to order.

I just thought that, with less than a quart of gas -- probably just about two *cups* of gas -- the light would have come on at that point...

I suppose it's possible that I didn't push the wires on *far enough*. I'll lift the tank to make sure...
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:18 PM

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to BakoFury
Quote:
Originally Posted by decarmine View Post
The wires *are* plugged in, but as I said in my post above, I paid no attention to order.

I just thought that, with less than a quart of gas -- probably just about two *cups* of gas -- the light would have come on at that point...

I suppose it's possible that I didn't push the wires on *far enough*. I'll lift the tank to make sure...
Ugh, so much for MY reading skills But yes, a quart should have triggered it.

Insert clever phrase here that will garner respect and love.

Fury Nation Map
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:43 PM

It's in the owners manual but I believe the low fuel light comes on with 1 gallon of gas left in the tank, good luck
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will'sFury View Post
It's in the owners manual but I believe the low fuel light comes on with 1 gallon of gas left in the tank, good luck
So when I had less than a quart it should have been on? So something obviously wrong -- but what?
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:46 PM
Septuagenarian Rider

Location: West End of the 49th Parallel on a US 2010 CBS/ABS Fury
One time I had the tank off I forgot to plug the low fuel sender back in. Went 160 miles and then had to call the wife to bring the spare gas can. Light normally comes on at 120 miles
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:28 PM

Garage
I never rely on "idiot" lights! I use the standard slosh or dry stick method.
waynejitsu likes this.

Ride it like you stole it!
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Gar View Post
One time I had the tank off I forgot to plug the low fuel sender back in. Went 160 miles and then had to call the wife to bring the spare gas can. Light normally comes on at 120 miles
So then I'll refill my tank, reset the odometer, and see what happens around 120 miles...
BakoFury and waynejitsu like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
gas , tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Fury Forums: Honda Chopper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in