Honda Fury Forums: banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's a lot of gain! we are talking about almost 45% more power vs. stock :)

I bought this set (Camshafts regrind, high compressions pistons, cobra exhaust system, cobra air filter, PCV) and all other needed gaskets and rings and will do it soon.

i can see that you mentioned something about plethora of mistakes!!

Can you share it please in order to avoid it .

·
Administrator
3,674 Posts
Note of caution (and I don't know all the history):

It seems most people who put in cams did it somewhere around 2015.
It seems most engines ran well, briefly, then grenaded.
It seems that's when people stopped putting in high-compression kits & cams.

Other Honda engines are known to take a pretty good load from adding a turbo and making gobs of boost, so I'm thinking something is going wrong in the case of the Fury. Is it because this engine is a single-pin crank? Too much heat somewhere? Not enough oil?

If I understand correctly, with H-D the #1 problem is usually excessive exhaust valve heat, so one typically replaces the oil pump, bolts on an oil cooler, replaces most bearings, and tries like mad to keep the valves cool. Why they don't add a temperature probe is beyond me, maybe nobody thought of it...regardless, H-D seems to have had heat issues on most every engine, even the stock Milwaukee Eight (which I'm sure is why they added liquid cooling for the top end).

Hopefully someone with experience in this area can add clarity.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Note of caution (and I don't know all the history):

It seems most people who put in cams did it somewhere around 2015.
It seems most engines ran well, briefly, then grenaded.
It seems that's when people stopped putting in high-compression kits & cams.

Other Honda engines are known to take a pretty good load from adding a turbo and making gobs of boost, so I'm thinking something is going wrong in the case of the Fury. Is it because this engine is a single-pin crank? Too much heat somewhere? Not enough oil?

If I understand correctly, with H-D the #1 problem is usually excessive exhaust valve heat, so one typically replaces the oil pump, bolts on an oil cooler, replaces most bearings, and tries like mad to keep the valves cool. Why they don't add a temperature probe is beyond me, maybe nobody thought of it...regardless, H-D seems to have had heat issues on most every engine, even the stock Milwaukee Eight (which I'm sure is why they added liquid cooling for the top end).

Hopefully someone with experience in this area can add clarity.

Really valuable feedback! appreciated.

I'm wondering if it's OK to upgrade the pistons only by using high compression one, is it somehow safe to do it without touching cams?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts