Honda Fury Forums: banner

12" or 14" apes

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  furyryder 
#1 ·
Hello all, I've done some searching, some researching and a little bit more searching haha. The question and dilemma i am faced with is what rise i will need on my new bars. I have made mock ups with pvc, done the broomstick / level / measure trick I've gotten as much info as i can vis youtube, here, a few dealerships that had some furys with apes. Which they barely know the size because they re just there to sell and not describe bars to a guy that they dont think is a potential customer. Haha Anyways, i am looking at the FMB Choppers bars but not the ones that already have the bracket for the speedo I plan to either relocate it or possibly go with a different speedometer maybe like a motogadget mini or something of that nature so basically it would be the bars without the middle bracket. I will have these on 1.5" risers or atleast thats my plan unless i here from you guys about another size riser. I am 6 ft 250 and I want the bars about shoulder height I don't want them like way up there I don't want them too low to where I regret ordering them and have to send it back. I guess the only issue is if I order the bars without them middle bar and have them make them to fit a fury I don't know that I'll be able to return those as easily as if I was to order the wrong size on the bars that do have the bracket cause those could be resold these are the bars that arent specified for the fury so he will make them to where they will fit and knurl them correctly so i guess you can call it a customizing job. I don't know that he'd be able to resell them so I don't know that he would take them back. I want to make sure and get this height situation figured out before I order. Any info or input you guys can throw my way would be greatly appreciated. Everytime I think 14" then I see 12" that I really like, but then I made some 12" pvc mock-ups and I feel like they're a little too short so please let me know what you guys think. What you got? How tall are you? Hows the riding position and are they shoulder height or lower/ higher? Also misregard any typos, I'm doing this from my talk-to-text on my phone while working in my shed on taking off my other bars hahaha Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I went with FMB bars on my bike. Love them. I originally thought I wanted 12” bars but after mocking up I put on 1.5" risers and a 9" mini apes.

I think most guys set the bars at the same angle as the forks so it lowers the actual hand position. I set mine almost perpendicular to the ground, giving me a slight forward lean, but also a little more rise than the 9” bars would normally give.

Brake line I went with 54" from Spiegler which is 9" over stock. I have plenty of extra line so could fit up to 12" bars.

Clutch cable could have fit stock with some re routing, but I went with 4" over stock from Barnett to be on the safe side. I'd prob do either + 6" or 7" for 12" bars.

Early on when guys swapped out bars they had an issue with speedo mounting since it’s mounted to the factory bars. Now FMB has a set for the fury to mount the stock speedo (came out a few months after I bought mine) but I’m glad I ditched the stock speedo. Smokin Tyre Garage makes a relocation mount for it that places it above the air cleaner. When I did mine I wanted a clean look so I deleted the speedo entirely and installed 3 leds for the main warning lights that were a concern to me (neutral, low fuel, oil pressure). I’ve got a write up on how to get the fuel light to work on aftermarket speedos with out bikes when you need it.

Attachments

#5 ·
Early on when guys swapped out bars they had an issue with speedo mounting since it’s mounted to the factory bars. Now FMB has a set for the fury to mount the stock speedo (came out a few months after I bought mine) but I’m glad I ditched the stock speedo. Smokin Tyre Garage makes a relocation mount for it that places it above the air cleaner. When I did mine I wanted a clean look so I deleted the speedo entirely and installed 3 leds for the main warning lights that were a concern to me (neutral, low fuel, oil pressure). I’ve got a write up on how to get the fuel light to work on aftermarket speedos with out bikes when you need it.

View attachment 237263
I'm liking that light setup with the speedo delete. Nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.