Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

There’s irony in the fact that Honda, the “nicest people” company, is now building what in our modern vernacular is a chopper, a genre previously associated with ne’er-do-wells, tattoos and hard living.

Honda is known globally as an engineering powerhouse whose R&D efforts are second to none in the motorcycle world. But a chopper-style motorcycle, with its extended wheelbase and raked-out front end, forces dynamic compromises not present in other classes of bikes.

So the question is: In a market segment with a heavy accent on form over function, can the 2010 Fury find the right balance? After a day of riding this outside-the-Honda-box creation, we can reply in the affirmative.

More: 2010 Honda Fury Review on Motorcycle.com

·
Registered
16 Posts
haha... have you been reading my posts??

But seriously this is an awesome review. Gets my heart pumping just thinking about riding that bad boy!

Looking at the 4 of them lined up is a thing of beauty, Im actually starting to like the Dark Red bike on the far right!!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dark Red is the best color :)

Sure sucks that they are only going to put ABS on the Black bike, I really want ABS on my next bike but I wont ride a Black bike, too close to hearse colors for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think black is definetly the worst looking color.... I'm surprised they wouldn't offer ABS on the other colors. The red, blue and special edition all look great!
I think black is the best colour for a bike...in fact the more black on a bike the better...but that's just me.

As far as the review goes...it seems fairly positive. I'd would have liked Honda to have gone with a belt drive instead of the shaft...I know it would have been their only bike with such...but it would have been far more appealing to riders. The liquid cool is not a problem cuz they disguised it very well and it serves a purpose as does the fuel injection. The rear tire needs more meat for sure...not sure how easy if at all to add a wider tire. The 1300 motor is alright ... If this bike sells well they might design another chopper for their 1800 motor...but we would be closer to twenty grand I'm sure.
The complaints about the poor welds is a slight concern..hopefully it's only cosmetic and they fix it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Silly fat tires???? lol

I think a fatter rear tire might be one of my first mods!!!
To each his own.;)

"But Big Red’s chopper is remarkably balanced and agile for a bike with the longest wheelbase (71.2 inches) of any Honda ever created. A moderately fat 200mm rear tire doesn’t make the bike reluctant to turn like a silly-fat tire does, and the bike exhibits nearly zero front-end flop that is present at low speeds on many other raked-out cruisers. Even feet-up, full-lock U-turns on a two-lane road don’t present much of a challenge.

Indeed, the Fury generally functions as a proper motorcycle"

That last sentence REALLY seals the deal for me. A proper handling motorcycle with looks of a chopper are hard to come by. I'll keep the 200mm rear tire, thanks........

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have purchased a fury in black and i think its a cool color for the type of motorcycle it is. The chrome stands out especially at night under street
lights. The overall performance of this machine is great. I had a 2004 vtx1300r and with the fuel injection the responce is great. The only negative comments i have are the welds on the frame and the fuel capacity. Other than the above i have recieved alot of looks,questions and even some photo
ops since my purchase. Hopefully in a couple of months some exhaust and seat options will be available.

·
Registered
1 Posts
haha... have you been reading my posts??

But seriously this is an awesome review. Gets my heart pumping just thinking about riding that bad boy!

Looking at the 4 of them lined up is a thing of beauty, Im actually starting to like the Dark Red bike on the far right!!!!

Dark Red is the best color

Sure sucks that they are only going to put ABS on the Black bike, I really want ABS on my next bike but I wont ride a Black bike, too close to hearse colors for me.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Feel the for the FURY!

Before I bought my Fury last July 2009. I joined this forum in June or so this article was in a motorcycle mag that I bought and on-line, found this article about Bruno and the American design aspect interesting.
I flipped for the Matte when I read the Popular Mechanics article in Feb 2009? I think, so from then on I had to have the Fury and I read every thing I could get my hands on...3 or 4 magazines had articles on her last year.:D

The bike performs as billed Chopper looks with every day function and the reliability the Honda brings to table.

Almost a year later now and people still check out this bike at every light and corner turn!:cool:

·
Super Moderator
3,125 Posts
Old review of the Fury, although reviews haven't changed--they still don't make sense because the reviewers can't make sense of a great chopper that isn't a Harley.

"Arguably the best Harley-Davidson clone to date"
[clone of what? H-D never made a chopper]

As Japanese customs go, Honda’s Fury is arguably the best Harley-Davidson clone to date. Its looks are radical for a Japanese custom, majoring more on a raked-out chopper design than a straightforward custom or cruiser, and Honda America’s design team should be applauded for this. Now add an engine that is typical Honda – perfect fuelling, gearbox and gutsy, complete with fuss-free shaft drive – and Honda has a recipe for success. Or has it? Unfortunately the Fury also comes with the usual Japanese smattering of cheapness in the shape of chromed plastic everywhere. From rocker cover tops to drive cases, all plastic. It’s the detailing that knocks points off the Fury’s score. [and price, plus it won't rust]

Ride Quality & Brakes 3 out of 5

It’s hard to believe a bike with a 1805mm wheelbase, 21in front wheel and a kerb weight figure to keep the Goodyear airship anchored could be anything but stable, but that is the Fury. With its plush suspension the Fury soaks up the biggest lumps and bumps, but also takes away any feedback from either tyre. Not that big lean angle is possible due to insufficient ground clearance. Feet forward ride position isn’t as painful as it looks, in fact it’s quite pleasant because the seat is padded and supportive and the high bars and headlight keep a fair amount of windblast off the rider. [so nothing is wrong with it, but that's what's wrong...? dumb.]

Engine 4 out of 5

Water-cooled but you’d be hard pushed to notice at first – the radiator lives between the front, lower frame rails. For a large capacity (1312cc) 52° V-twin it is exceptionally smooth through its short rev range [compared to what? H-D is way less] even with its claimed torque of 89ftlb whirling its way through the shaft drive. Coupled with perfect electronics and fuelling, this includes a light action throttle) and you have a 303kg bike with a long wheelbase that is actually manageable and a doddle to ride. [so you like it then?]

Build Quality & Reliability 3 out of 5

Reliability is never going to be an issue on the Honda – every mechanical is tried and tested from being used on other models, or derivative of. Quality is arguable in the sense the paint and coatings are fine, but it’s the amount of cheap chromed plastic and lack of polished metals that cheapen it ie painted wheels and sidestand. And why only a piddly 12.8lt fuel tank? [they should see a peanut tank....probably have a coronary!]

Insurance, running costs & value 3 out of 5

At £12,071 the Fury is pitched well under the list price of top flight Harley customs, and makes for value for money. However, it isn’t a Harley and you have to question the £12k price for a Japanese replica. [again with replica of what? H-D never made a chopper, nor a water-cooled 52° V-twin] If Honda could guarantee a long model life [done, but H-D's Rocker didn't make it] with all the back up of owners groups [done], lifestyle and full accessory brochure [oh, they need "a brand?" really? can't sell the bike on the bike's merit? no, that's not a problem of this brand....] then second-hand prices will remain high rather than drop like every other Japanese machine. [i'd rather not lose $27K on a H-D, personally, and try saying they sell for "way more" than a used Honda. I'd rather get in for less, get out for less, it's the smart money]

Equipment 2 out of 5

Nothing fancy here. Unless you count the deep blue paint, fancy fat-bars or shaft drive unit. The bike doesn’t even come with the bellypan (£395, ouch!) cowling, fly screen (£275, double ouch!) or pillion back support – all optional extras. Shaft drive is good. Erm, the chromed parts are shiny… [choppers should be "stripped," where's the problem? cost of aftermarket parts? they should see H-D....]

-------

In essence their main gripe is there isn't a Harley badge on the side of the tank. Bet they're racist & sexist too...

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Old review of the Fury, although reviews haven't changed--they still don't make sense because the reviewers can't make sense of a great chopper that isn't a Harley.

"Arguably the best Harley-Davidson clone to date"
[clone of what? H-D never made a chopper]

As Japanese customs go, Honda’s Fury is arguably the best Harley-Davidson clone to date. Its looks are radical for a Japanese custom, majoring more on a raked-out chopper design than a straightforward custom or cruiser, and Honda America’s design team should be applauded for this. Now add an engine that is typical Honda – perfect fuelling, gearbox and gutsy, complete with fuss-free shaft drive – and Honda has a recipe for success. Or has it? Unfortunately the Fury also comes with the usual Japanese smattering of cheapness in the shape of chromed plastic everywhere. From rocker cover tops to drive cases, all plastic. It’s the detailing that knocks points off the Fury’s score. [and price, plus it won't rust]

Ride Quality & Brakes 3 out of 5

It’s hard to believe a bike with a 1805mm wheelbase, 21in front wheel and a kerb weight figure to keep the Goodyear airship anchored could be anything but stable, but that is the Fury. With its plush suspension the Fury soaks up the biggest lumps and bumps, but also takes away any feedback from either tyre. Not that big lean angle is possible due to insufficient ground clearance. Feet forward ride position isn’t as painful as it looks, in fact it’s quite pleasant because the seat is padded and supportive and the high bars and headlight keep a fair amount of windblast off the rider. [so nothing is wrong with it, but that's what's wrong...? dumb.]

Engine 4 out of 5

Water-cooled but you’d be hard pushed to notice at first – the radiator lives between the front, lower frame rails. For a large capacity (1312cc) 52° V-twin it is exceptionally smooth through its short rev range [compared to what? H-D is way less] even with its claimed torque of 89ftlb whirling its way through the shaft drive. Coupled with perfect electronics and fuelling, this includes a light action throttle) and you have a 303kg bike with a long wheelbase that is actually manageable and a doddle to ride. [so you like it then?]

Build Quality & Reliability 3 out of 5

Reliability is never going to be an issue on the Honda – every mechanical is tried and tested from being used on other models, or derivative of. Quality is arguable in the sense the paint and coatings are fine, but it’s the amount of cheap chromed plastic and lack of polished metals that cheapen it ie painted wheels and sidestand. And why only a piddly 12.8lt fuel tank? [they should see a peanut tank....probably have a coronary!]

Insurance, running costs & value 3 out of 5

At £12,071 the Fury is pitched well under the list price of top flight Harley customs, and makes for value for money. However, it isn’t a Harley and you have to question the £12k price for a Japanese replica. [again with replica of what? H-D never made a chopper, nor a water-cooled 52° V-twin] If Honda could guarantee a long model life [done, but H-D's Rocker didn't make it] with all the back up of owners groups [done], lifestyle and full accessory brochure [oh, they need "a brand?" really? can't sell the bike on the bike's merit? no, that's not a problem of this brand....] then second-hand prices will remain high rather than drop like every other Japanese machine. [i'd rather not lose $27K on a H-D, personally, and try saying they sell for "way more" than a used Honda. I'd rather get in for less, get out for less, it's the smart money]

Equipment 2 out of 5

Nothing fancy here. Unless you count the deep blue paint, fancy fat-bars or shaft drive unit. The bike doesn’t even come with the bellypan (£395, ouch!) cowling, fly screen (£275, double ouch!) or pillion back support – all optional extras. Shaft drive is good. Erm, the chromed parts are shiny… [choppers should be "stripped," where's the problem? cost of aftermarket parts? they should see H-D....]

-------

In essence their main gripe is there isn't a Harley badge on the side of the tank. Bet they're racist & sexist too...
How could the Fury be a "Harley Davidson clone"?
1. It's easily started.
2. There's no puddle of oil under the bike.
3. Repairs and maintenance are cost effective.
4. Tool kit doesn't out weigh the bike.
5. You don't need to be a dirt-bag to own or ride one.....

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
How could the Fury be a "Harley Davidson clone"?
1. It's easily started.
2. There's no puddle of oil under the bike.
3. Repairs and maintenance are cost effective.
4. Tool kit doesn't out weigh the bike.
5. You don't need to be a dirt-bag to own or ride one.....
6. I've never seen one on a tow truck
Added. Keep em coming!!:grin:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts