Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

This is my first post :)

I have a 2017 Honda Fury, from brand new, has about 3600 Miles on it.

Got it late 2017, it was perfect for the 2018 riding season, this year 2019, it started to have the hot start issue mid 2019. Rides fine, pull into a gas station, fuel, try to start, won't turn over also the Trip Meter will reset, will start eventual once I $hit my pants and off we go…….

After reading a number of posts, it is either the battery or the starter and replacing the battery will take care of the problem, so I think I understand what I need to do here.

Problem 2:
Pulled in to refuel a few days ago, once done, it started but stalled, I was able to start and had to keep throttle at lights etc to get it home, now a few days later when I start it, it has an erratic idle and once it warms up, the idle is so low it feel like it’s going to stall, if I ride it a little and stop in neutral it stalls.

I don’t think the hot start issue and the stalling issue are connected.

I think the hot start issue can be solved with a new battery with higher cranking amps

I am lost on the stalling issue, I was thinking of doing the following one at a time to see if it will eliminate the stalling, your input would be greatly appreciated:
  • Replace all fuel with new fuel and test
  • Replace fuel filter and test
  • Replace or clean ICV valve and test
I have to say, I am mildly disappointed with the Honda, here we have a bike completely built in Japan and crate shipped here, the bike has been on the market since 2010 with no significant changes(so all bugs from the field should be worked out) and at the end of the day, it’s a HONDA……

This bike has had a 600 mile service and again an oil change (4000 mile service) early at 3400 miles.

This is a bike ridden for pleasure, so life does not stop if it is out of service, however, In India I drove a bike for actual transportation, a very ordinary 100cc Kawasaki, basic bike, economy, 1000’s of kilometers I rode it, day in and day out, as a student, no problem, just put gas and go.

Here I have an excellent bike, only ridden on good days and “o so gently” used what the hell….. Just had to vent and get your thoughts.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hi All,

This is my first post :)

I have a 2017 Honda Fury, from brand new, has about 3600 Miles on it.

Got it late 2017, it was perfect for the 2018 riding season, this year 2019, it started to have the hot start issue mid 2019. Rides fine, pull into a gas station, fuel, try to start, won't turn over also the Trip Meter will reset, will start eventual once I $hit my pants and off we go…….

After reading a number of posts, it is either the battery or the starter and replacing the battery will take care of the problem, so I think I understand what I need to do here.

Problem 2:
Pulled in to refuel a few days ago, once done, it started but stalled, I was able to start and had to keep throttle at lights etc to get it home, now a few days later when I start it, it has an erratic idle and once it warms up, the idle is so low it feel like it’s going to stall, if I ride it a little and stop in neutral it stalls.

I don’t think the hot start issue and the stalling issue are connected.

I think the hot start issue can be solved with a new battery with higher cranking amps

I am lost on the stalling issue, I was thinking of doing the following one at a time to see if it will eliminate the stalling, your input would be greatly appreciated:
  • Replace all fuel with new fuel and test
  • Replace or clean ICV valve and test
I have to say, I am mildly disappointed with the Honda, here we have a bike completely built in Japan and crate shipped here, the bike has been on the market since 2010 with no significant changes(so all bugs from the field should be worked out) and at the end of the day, it’s a HONDA……

This bike has had a 600 mile service and again an oil change (4000 mile service) early at 3400 miles.

This is a bike ridden for pleasure, so life does not stop if it is out of service, however, In India I drove a bike for actual transportation, a very ordinary 100cc Kawasaki, basic bike, economy, 1000’s of kilometers I rode it, day in and day out, as a student, no problem, just put gas and go.

Here I have an excellent bike, only ridden on good days and “o so gently” used what the hell….. Just had to vent and get your thoughts.
Don't Fret !

Just start with replacing the original battery with a lithium battery.

Your battery may not have been properly serviced at birth and or may have been damaged by a cold winter and will never come back to full strength. It might even be shorting out causing your secondary problems

Just do it !

Or your local dealer can order from Western Power Sports # 490-2517

The Fury is the best bike ever once you put a lithium battery in it !

Good luck !

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Batteries in new vehicles are suspect from day one. The battery will always be made usually in the previous year. And they are not the top tier batteries like what are sold aftermarket. A couple of years ago Mercedes was spending $11 million a year on warranty battery replacements, quite a few on cars not even sold.

I put the EarthX in my Fury, have never looked back. Can sit in the shed in the cold for a month, and start immediately.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE:

I have an update for you guys that you won’t believe, it was just bad Gas L

To get it out of the way, the EarthX battery is the way to go for the hot start, since we are about to go out of the riding season here in Norther Virginia, I will install it April 2020 and that should take care of that……

Now the stalling; as you saw from my post, I was really worried, So yesterday, I picked up some Sea Foam, put in half a bottle, shook the bike a little to mix, started it up and let it idle for about 30 minutes, it rough/erratic idled for about 10 minutes and then settled down, I was not convinced, so I took it out on a ride; I was worried that it was doing it, but this was all sub-conscious, after about 10 miles of riding, It was idling fine at stop lights and returned to its old self, almost like nothing happened, all done….. $8.95 + tax.

I cannot believe it was just bad Gas, yet for all, I make a point to use the Gas Station that is only about 10 months old, brand new gas station in Ashburn, VA(upmarket suburb of DC), I was consistently gassing up here every time.

Anyway, not sure what was in the Gas, I will run it thru and Gas up at a new Shell that just got put in 2 miles down the road.

Do you guys think it’s the Ethanol or could there be water in the gas, Just curious….

One other thing I have learned, rather than just taking it to the dealer, we can save ourselves a $hit ton of money and time by just trying to diagnose these things ourselves with the help of the forum, my 2 cents…….

By the way, there are two EarthX battery models that show up for the fury, Any recommendations on which one is best for our type of use.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
The only real thing I can say about gas is that I try to run ethanol free in my bikes. It got harder when I moved, but specially in my bobber as it is carburated and tends to sit around longer, I prefer pure gas.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
UPDATE:

I have an update for you guys that you won’t believe, it was just bad Gas L

To get it out of the way, the EarthX battery is the way to go for the hot start, since we are about to go out of the riding season here in Norther Virginia, I will install it April 2020 and that should take care of that……

Now the stalling; as you saw from my post, I was really worried, So yesterday, I picked up some Sea Foam, put in half a bottle, shook the bike a little to mix, started it up and let it idle for about 30 minutes, it rough/erratic idled for about 10 minutes and then settled down, I was not convinced, so I took it out on a ride; I was worried that it was doing it, but this was all sub-conscious, after about 10 miles of riding, It was idling fine at stop lights and returned to its old self, almost like nothing happened, all done….. $8.95 + tax.

I cannot believe it was just bad Gas, yet for all, I make a point to use the Gas Station that is only about 10 months old, brand new gas station in Ashburn, VA(upmarket suburb of DC), I was consistently gassing up here every time.

Anyway, not sure what was in the Gas, I will run it thru and Gas up at a new Shell that just got put in 2 miles down the road.

Do you guys think it’s the Ethanol or could there be water in the gas, Just curious….

One other thing I have learned, rather than just taking it to the dealer, we can save ourselves a $hit ton of money and time by just trying to diagnose these things ourselves with the help of the forum, my 2 cents…….

By the way, there are two EarthX battery models that show up for the fury, Any recommendations on which one is best for our type of use.
Shell is crap gas... Mobil is top tier.... my tuner that tuned my Suburban told me to stay away from Shell and that Mobil was the best.

As far as the EarthX battery goes... you may as well go big... I went with the 36C which is the biggest (highest cranking amps) that will fit in our bikes. Zero issues with starting Hot or cold after that.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
All gasoline, with the exception of added Ethanol, refined from crude oils is exactly the same. The refining process is also exactly the same. The difference is the additives injected at the rack where gasoline and diesel are loaded into large tanks for transport to the select branded retail outlets. Exxon/Mobile will have there additive injected to the gasoline destined for a retail outlet that is branded Exxon/Mobile at the time of loading. At anytime a retail outlet is subject to sample test the detects that brands additive in their product. If that brands additive is not present, the outlet will lose its branding.

I've always had exceptional performance with Chevron petroleum product with the Techron additives. Next squirt of explosive juice will be from Exxon/Mobile, hell they could be on to something.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a quick update to say, its sill not stalling, i have ridden about half a dozen times and filled up twice........ it was the bad GASOLINE, it's gone and the stalling problem is gone.

I will get the EarthX 36C in the spring of 2020 and the Hot Start issue will also be history......

·
Registered
12,107 Posts
Just a quick update to say, its sill not stalling, i have ridden about half a dozen times and filled up twice........ it was the bad GASOLINE, it's gone and the stalling problem is gone.

I will get the EarthX 36C in the spring of 2020 and the Hot Start issue will also be history......
I actually breathed a sigh of relief when you posted that your stalling problem was just bad gas and it's gone now. That would have stressed me. The only problem I have ever had with the Fury is the hot start and a new battery fixed that real nice. I would like to get an EarthX, but I actually got the same kind of battery the bike came with, Yuasa I believe, and it's still working good........as long as I take it out of the bike for the winter and put it on a maintainer.

Good to hear your bike is almost 100%.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Welcome Shiv,
Sad to hear of your immediate bad experiance and your history which told you the truth.
The Honda Fury battery is an anemic component and easily solved for years with an EarthX 36C: Eight year life which pays pays for itself twice over if you bought a $100 battery every year. I ride every day with out a place to plug in a maintainer.
Shop accessories manager suggested Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment when my bikes performance 'felt sluggish. He explained it was the high water content of the 10% ethanol in our blend of gasoline. I used it as directed and found performance returned AND mileage increased enough that it pays for itself. One ounce every tank.
I put an eight ounce bottle in my one week a year motorcycle in Michigan, run the carb dry and it starts right up the next year, for three years now. It's stored in a 50 degree heated garage. I used two bottles the first year but at 1 ounce for three gallons my brother pointed out I was overdoing it. A $9 dollar bottle is less expensive than flushing full system at $90 an hour every year, to me
All I can suggest is try it, you'll like it.
Enjoy the bike and forum. Suggest searching Honda Fury Faq.
Now, how's that seat working out?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts